Sign in to follow this  
Lichbane

Acronyms and acronyms.

Like all MMOs communities, the Wurm one of acronym crazy.  One side effect is that new people are put off by facing terms they don't understand. 

Is there a glossary of acronyms for Wurm.  What's a FSB?  What is a BSB? What other acronyms do the Wurm community use commonly that have no meaning to an outsider? 

Edited by Lichbane

In many cases it helps to simply search for the acronym in Wurmpedia.

• Like 1

You think a new Player quits just because he don´t know what a BSB is.....? :blink:

4 hours ago, Caduryn said:

You think a new Player quits just because he don´t know what a BSB is.....? :blink:

Acronyms and terminology that are impenetrable to people are a brick wall. Not understanding what people are talking about takes a learning curve from steep to the north face of the Matterhorn.  It make people feel dumb and that's not a fun feeling. 

3 hours ago, BrQQQ said:

There is also a small list here.

Thanks.  Its a good start.

Edited by Lichbane

6 minutes ago, Lichbane said:

Thanks. 

I'm still in the dark as to what FSB and BSB is. 

Well....

(B)ulk (S)torage (B)in

and...

(F)ood (S)torage (B)in

But i wonder...... your member since Sep2015, made 95 Posts and still don´t know what those two mean.......:o

Edited by Caduryn

30 minutes ago, Caduryn said:

But i wonder...... your member since Sep2015, made 95 Posts and still don´t know what those two mean.......:o

My effort has mostly been around building a server and map.  Unless you've been part of a community that been actively playing and uses those terms consistently you won't know what terms are.  

I'm pretty sure you won't have a clue what APM and ECS is,  because you haven't been exposed to those terms...  and yet I am exposed to those terms on a daily basis in my current job.  As someone who's job is to facilitate communications between various groups of people, believe me that acronyms, while convenient for those who understand them, are a PITA. ;)

Hence that's why they are usually documented somewhere,  and if not,  then should be.  It's a simple communication concept. B)

Edited by Lichbane

I think the problem you'll have with this is the fact that the acronyms used by the community aren't official, or even fixed.  They're the result of lazy or slow typists who can't or won't type out the full name.  I've seen several different abbreviations/acronyms used in chat for the same item.  The best bet if you see something you don't understand is to simply ask.  Nobody will call you an idiot unless you're acting like one.