Sign in to follow this  
Oligar

Accessing Classic Wurm Online

Is there some way to access a client and downloadable map for older versions of Wurm Online? I always find myself browsing a screenshot or suggestion thread dating back to 2008. In some pictures, I can truly see how far this game has come. While I'm not particularly experienced and I haven't lived here long enough to really grasp how far it's come, I'd still like to see and feel what the game felt like during initial release.

vvv Screenshot vvv

vvv Personal info vvv

Spoiler

I haven't been playing Wurm Online for too long, especially compared to many others around me who boast years of experience. I'm not sure if this is the board for this, but I had to ask somewhere.

I haven't really played any MMORPG's since their start. I hate to admit it, but I was playing Terraria and Minecraft since their respective Alpha stages. I still eagerly anticipate updates for Terraria, while I've watched Minecraft grow and die. I started World of Warcraft during its first expansion Burning Crusade, and had subscribed up until their fourth, Mists of Pandaria, before I decided it was headed in another, less desirable direction. Some MMO's like Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) and Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) I've pre-ordered without hesitation, but I've always lost interest within months. I'm in no way a hardcore gamer, although I do enjoy collecting and testing every sort of game I come across.

(picture credited to "Metaldragon" in the Screenshots thread)

Edited by Oligar
removed unnecessary space in personal info spoiler

Wurm Online relies on the servers run by Codeclub, which are running the latest version only.  Even if you could find an old client, it wouldn't work with the current servers (in fact, it would probably auto-update itself), so no, there isn't any way to play the older versions.  I'll also note that modifying the WO client will get you banned (this is a big no-no).

It would be theoretically possible to mod Wurm Unlimited (which is something you can download the entirety of, and is fine to modify) so that it looked and felt like an old version of WO, but that would be a lot of work, and I doubt anyone has any plans to do that.

Edited by Pandalet
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Pandalet said:

I'll also note that modifying the WO client will get you banned (this is a big no-no).

It would be theoretically possible to mod Wurm Unlimited (which is something you can download the entirety of, and is fine to modify) so that it looked and felt like an old version of WO, but that would be a lot of work, and I doubt anyone has any plans to do that.

We are not allowed to mod anything about the client? This brings another question I had: Is it bannable to mod the textures of things? For example, the moons and/or the sky (yeah, I'm a freak for glowing, starry night skies)? Should I assume that changing virtually anything about the game client-side or otherwise is frowned upon?

I actually played Wurm Unlimited before I even touched Wurm Online. Couldn't I just get a copy of some old textures, replace the new ones in a current patch of Wurm Unlimited and go from there? My main problems would be acquiring the graphics jar from the old client, as I'm sure that no one just 'keeps' a copy lying around, except for the developers. I doubt they'd answer my pleas anytime soon though.

19 minutes ago, Oligar said:

We are not allowed to mod anything about the client? This brings another question I had: Is it bannable to mod the textures of things? For example, the moons and/or the sky (yeah, I'm a freak for glowing, starry night skies)? Should I assume that changing virtually anything about the game client-side or otherwise is frowned upon?

I actually played Wurm Unlimited before I even touched Wurm Online. Couldn't I just get a copy of some old textures, replace the new ones in a current patch of Wurm Unlimited and go from there? My main problems would be acquiring the graphics jar from the old client, as I'm sure that no one just 'keeps' a copy lying around, except for the developers. I doubt they'd answer my pleas anytime soon though.

Any modifying of any of the resource packages is grounds for banishment as it can be used to gain an unfair advantage.

it is possible to exchange textures on a WU server, but i highly doubt that there is a complete collection of all old textures.

add to that that the newer items/models don't have 'old' textures - it may look very weird (meshup of old and new) and i can't imagine that being a nice surrounding to play in.