Sign in to follow this  
Malinson

Cotton Towel

Would it be possible to have an alternative to the pelt so that those of us who are pacifists do not have to go out and kill other creatures so as to spit shine a shovel blade?  

• Like 1

lol, sure, why not. +1 Make it wool though maybe if that is enough pacifist for you :P

• Like 1

Wool?! I forgot about that. That's a neat idea. Mayhap a mod could be made so as to make one?

A towel would be good because you should never go anywhere without your towel.

• Like 3

The devs won't allow you to have a towel. It would show you how many light years you've travelled to get to the planet of Wurm.

I noticed that as I put my seven Mine Supports in the box, it averages out their quality and then when I take them back out it random out the requirements for improvements. I can bypass the pel problem with those but tools cannot be packed in those boxes to do that as well...

Is there a mod that allows anything to be put in those boxes?

or maybe a mod that eliminates the pelt as an improvement option all together..

Edited by Malinson

Would it be okay to craft a pelt from cotton? It would be an actual pelt item and you'd have to use your "imagination" to accept that it didn't come from an animal. Adding recipe to craft a pelt from cotton is pretty easy. In contrast, adding in code so all the improvement actions know that a towel is a substitute for a pelt is more difficult.

There is a "hitching post" mod for Ago's server modloader. It is a good example of how to add new creation entries. If someone else doesn't do this in the next couple weeks I'll make it.

I need to finish fixing loading unchained and finish making a concrete making mod.

Okay then; well I am grateful of your offer to make something like that should nobody come forward and I'll just monitor the forum. 

If it is easy to make a mod that allows you to create a pelt using other components, where would I go to learn how to make such a mod?

I'm the only player in my world. I suppose I could just wave my magic wand but I tossed it in the trash. I think a pacifists alternative is in order for there are plenty of games that expect a hack and slash attitude to success. Besides, if it is as simple to do as Joedobo suggests, then clearly anyone should be able make such a mod with the right tutorials. Where might they be?

If you have a deed then there is a good chance the templars will eventually kill something that gives you a pelt. Or tame a dog, keep it in a pen and maybe you can get a pelt off it when it dies.

Just about the most massively useful thing any interstellar Hitchhiker can carry. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course you can dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Hence a phrase which has passed into hitch hiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."

28 minutes ago, Romen said:

If you have a deed then there is a good chance the templars will eventually kill something that gives you a pelt. Or tame a dog, keep it in a pen and maybe you can get a pelt off it when it dies.

You don't understand the pacifist path; Paying someone to kill a creature to get a pelt or bringing in spirit warriors to do the same thing is not my way. Deeded land encourages creatures to leave it which is fine by me, but I have zero such spirits in my world; and waiting for a dog to die just to get its pelt is indifferent to your friends waiting for you to die just so that they can get your stuff. In other words, it's not an attitude that encourages a form of respect that you would come to expect from someone you call - friend...    

The way of the pacifist is by no means easy for it is so simple to slit the throat of a creature to get its fat to make candles. Yet, there are no bee's in Wurm. I can't find wild bee's to create a bee farm to harvest honey and bee's wax so that I can have my candles.

Edited by Malinson

10 hours ago, Malinson said:

If it is easy to make a mod that allows you to create a pelt using other components, where would I go to learn how to make such a mod?

Creating a mod requires programming skills.  If you have those, it's easy.  If you do not have those, it is not easy, maybe not even possible.

1 hour ago, Ricowan said:

Creating a mod requires programming skills.  If you have those, it's easy.  If you do not have those, it is not easy, maybe not even possible.

How skilled of a programmer ( I assume is all Java script)  would one need to be in order to do this 'easy' mod? 

Actually the code is Java language, not script, and modding involves a fair understanding of the language and being able to decompile and make sense out of the client code.

Romen is correct, Java is very different from Javascript, they're not related at all.  I'd just like to add, the amount of skill necessary depends on the complexity of the modification you want to make.  Simple logic replacement using Ago's framework shouldn't require much more knowledge than how to set up a Java project in your IDE of choice, find the section of code you want from the decompiled game, make your mod and compile it.  Adding new game functionality will require advanced Java knowledge.

https://github.com/ago1024/WurmServerModLauncher/blob/master/src/demo/hitchingpost/org/gotti/wurmunlimited/mods/hitchingpost/HitchingPostMod.java

Look at the last part "public void onServerStarted() {". Except here you'd want to use the simple creation entry tool.

Ya, there aren't any step by step tutorials. I guess I shouldn't say it's easy because that is subjective. This change would just require using reflection to add a new simple creation entry. Everything needed to add this is ready and doesn't need to be changed. Here is an example from my concrete making mod...

CreationEntry concrete = CreationEntryCreator.createSimpleEntry(SkillList.ALCHEMY_NATURAL,
                        ItemList.rock, ItemList.clay, ItemList.concrete, true, true, 0.0f, false, false,
                        CreationCategories.RESOURCES);
                concrete.setDepleteFromSource(shardWeight * 1000);
                concrete.setDepleteFromTarget(clayWeight * 1000);

For me, the difficult parts are always when something needs to be changed and bytecode alteration seems to be the only choice. I think bytecode altering is very difficult. Like I said, adding a pelt crafted from from cotton is just using reflection to run Wurm's existent code.

I want to make something that includes this. I've always disliked fighting. There are other applicable changes that fit well within this request: furs crafted from cotton, shifting the bladed tools out of weaponsmithing into blacksmithing, rebalance of healing cover materials so plants are just as good as tooth+gland, look into AI targeting and find ways to build 100% safe travel paths...maybe others.

I think wool as a secondary component would be more desirable to just cotton. Actually Cotton cloth requires the construction of a Floor Loom. Perhaps Wool cloth combined with Cotton Cloth can be the recipe for for our pelt so as to heighten the rewards of effort. 

The Creation Entry Code you provided appears to me that you were correct in suggesting that it's easy modification, but since there are no tutorials or guides sufficient enough to explain away the interface, I think I'll leave it to you to bring to light these and other changes.

Edited by Malinson

since there isnt really anything useful to use wool for (except a couple of hats) wool might be a good thing to use for a towel.