Sign in to follow this  
Kelody

Felled trees

take a horse with you or designate one from your wagon team.  Hop off the wagon and immediately lead the horse, go chop trees and if you get in trouble or see trouble get on horse an kite it away or to guards. There really is no reason to have plate armor early on as it is more a death trap until you can actually stand and fight.  I can pickup over-aged tree wearing plate and i know Jaz can, but wearing plate in the middle of the forest without a horse is what i would call lunchbox mode for all but the highest FS not to mention extremely expensive.  If you cannot kill a troll on foot wearing good chain then plate on ground is almost instant death and severely damaged armor.

*But* if you will spend a few solid days working on WC properly then you will be able to pickup an over-aged tree with full plate too (dont rem what str that would be).  I.E cut them down with high ql or woa if possible (dont waste sleep bonus, and low ql is terrible for skill gain cutting down trees especially since you have to go from tree to tree), fill up a wagon, take them to safe place (leave in wagon) active sleep bonus and preferably a mid (if low skill) to low ql hatchet (if higher skill) with highest coc you can get and chop up everything in the wagon (it will drop on ground unlike when chopping in your inventory) making sure to never deplete your stam, you will need i think 3 bsbs, one "good" ql the other two for everything else.  WC seems to be the fastest str gain of all i have tried.

-1 to load, you can probably take off your armor, cut a log off, call it a name, rename it to that, drop it, pick up the now smaller felled tree, put it in the wagon, put your armor back on before load finishes.  Better to have a single chest in wagon you dump armor and tools you dont need and run around naked chopping trees, as naked you can at lease get away enough to get to wagon or horse to go back to the wagon and get armor/weapons.

Personally i take my armor off anyway, just in my inventory because i hate walking slow.  Occasionally a troll will sneak up and tag me, i just get on my horse don my armor, heal if needed, and i will be tea-bagging said troll in a few minutes, i may even be pissed enough to go look for his family :) 

• Like 2

I have heard lots of work-arounds, and this isn't needed, but none of the naysayers really have given a reason why loading would have negative effect.

I did hear one online when discussing this, and that is the load mechanic in itself making it so loadable items can not be dropped into a wagon/cart. I don't want the old mechanic changed or removed. If the load mechanic is so restrictive, maybe it should be fixed itself.

Why can I load a 6,000kg crate of logs, but not a 250kg barrel of water? I can pick up the water (given really high strength) but can't put it into a cart. I know there are reasons to restrict many items like chests that can hold thousands of items and barrels probably can also, but it makes it very difficult to move a simple water barrel. (yes, i know, use 2, not the point) The inventory/loading system as a whole needs some TLC and continuity to fix exploits and missing features overlooked from all the new additions and band-aids applied over the years.

Edited by Kelody

lets compare this...

a large crate has dimensions of 120x120x120 = 1.728.000 volume units - 3 fit in a large cart, loading takes 30sec total

a felled tree has dimensions 40x40x200 = 320.000 volume units - 18 fit in a large cart, 180sec total

to me it looks like felled trees would be better to fit in crates than having a "load" functionality

+1

It's not that I can't pick up felled trees.  It's just a pain to empty out my inventory/equipment so I can carry that much weight.

"Load cargo" is in the game and well established.  I agree that it should be expanded to more things like felled trees.

5 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Do you really want to spend 30 seconds for each tree you load?

Nope.  "Load Cargo" timer should be based on item weight.  A full crate of dirt should take 30 seconds.  But a felled tree?  More like 5 seconds.

Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Proximo said:

Nope.  "Load Cargo" timer should be based on item weight.  A full crate of dirt should take 30 seconds.  But a felled tree?  More like 5 seconds.

Just my opinion.

A full crate of teeth takes 30 seconds as well.