Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #4 I like to move it-move it

My Biggest Valrei mission failure was to cut down a specific tree - been cutting clear of the specified type all around the place for hours mentioned without success.

I had a similar one like Dairuka - but with medium woodens shields, the rare one is still in use by one of our alts :D

23 hours ago, Hordern said:

Not sure it would make enough difference to bother. Only the graphics that have been changed are updated. If you watch the bar during an update, it flies through everything that hasn't changed, it just checks everything against the library and skips it if it's the most up to date file.

I wouldn't exactly call it "flying through". A typical Wurm packet update takes about 10 minutes on my computer. And if it weren't for the fact that it checks every file, it would only take about 2 minutes.

"Please wait... Loading....

Coming next week is a rather large update to how Wurm handles graphics, The dev team has been busy moving our current models from an ascii based format to a new, binary based custom format. This format will speed up loading times as well as help with some of the issues when travelling long distances. While this may mean a long update as the client downloads the new graphics, we assure you that it's worth the wait.

This also coincides with the implementation of support for a new texture format, which we will be gradually switching all textures over to, starting with the largest textures. This new textures will save massive amounts of vram, using up to a quarter of the current textures!

"

Should give more details to the modding section since this will just add to confusion

I am really looking forwards to graphics updates, but I shudder at this upcoming update as the movement bugs have not been addressed very well since they were implemented a week ago. You can't pile bugs on top of bugs, please keep the bug batch's to just one at a time.

When is the update to fix the movement update so that I can enter caves without taking 38 damage wounds?  

Cutting down every cedar tree north of Odynn's place. If anyone has ever been to midgard, they'll understand how absurd this is.. It has a few separate local chats... Was a few days of effort.. I was spending about 5 minutes chopping down all the felled trees covering up the last cedar left in the cedar forest and I hear a crack and fall of a tree, following the orange text.. Local chat, Odynn... I got about 5 WC levels out of that and I'm not bothered that he nabbed it as I made cedars extinct for almost two ingame map gridsquares. I do them for karma and enjoyment anyway and Odynn having SB helps essentially everyone on deliverance in the long run. XD 

This reminds me that I need my armor repaired... Fighting with Libila for a few hours ripped my armor up. Lol. Here's what a headbutt from Libila can do after 15% damage reduction.oDt5TDI.jpg?1

Ah! A second one, a bit different ordeal.. Nowhere near as long as the midgard tree, but infinitely more infuriating. A Venerable Avatar of Fo asked for a common wool cap. Taki crafted said wool cap and trecked to the opposite side of the map to find said avatar of fo to give him the hat. After about four hours of searching and bitching about how I can't COD it to him in kingdom, I see an avatar of fo a once developed mountain side. After dismounting, taking off my gear and climbing the steep slope he was hugging onto, no give option is showing up for me. 'tis when I realize that this is an AGED avatar of fo and not the venerable one. >: (

A few more hours of searching the frustrating countryside and I find the Venerable Avatar of Fo. I offer him the cap and he rejects, claiming that he wants a black one... I've gathered the resources and had a, 89ql Seryll hugeaxe, heavily enchanted and rare boned to KILL the next avatar of fo that I hear about when I am on. That Libila encounter I mentioned was for testing out its effectiveness.. I will resume desecrating altars of Fo with my supreme spoon and lie in wait for my vengeance.. >: (

I do love Valrei though. The ONLY thing I miss about epic was the Valrei monsters and silly power struggle of the gods. I've got three Drakespirit Deeds on deliverance in tribute to another ridiculous experience of mine.

Edited by Takinshi