Sign in to follow this  
Elrohiir

Oracle news, what does that mean for Wurm in the future?

Just seems to be the browser plugin they are depreciating.

Java is still used in tons of other applications.

• Like 1

For a start it's just for the browser plugins which tend(statistically speaking) to be spam or unwanted plugins regardless, On top of that oracle them self stated that they just want to try and work towards a plugin free 'web'(i don't know if that is smart or stupid but alright so be it). 

So long story short this should not chance anything for wurm. Instant we might actually get a toolbar, spam free internet even though i highly doubt that.

Java browser plugin is dead since years already, and Oracle confirmed this +/- 1-2 years ago when they applied very strict security restrictions on it. This was just matter of time, and good thing that this finally happens.

Desktop/server Java is fine and will be good for at least next few decades.

I am more worried about JNLP future (it allows to launch Wurm from the website and single small file at the moment) - Oracle is not really happy with it as well.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Warlander said:

Java browser plugin is dead since years already

HTML5 all the way baby!

Just now, Cheshire said:

HTML5 all the way baby!

Yep. :)

Opinions about JavaScript are mixed, but with so many languages being able to compile directly or semi-directly to it this is not a big problem... While HTML 5 itself is really good idea.

3 hours ago, Warlander said:

I am more worried about JNLP future (it allows to launch Wurm from the website and single small file at the moment) - Oracle is not really happy with it as well.

Please expand! What would this mean for Wurm if that vanished?

Java isn't going anywhere, minecraft still uses java lots of games do.

16 minutes ago, Hordern said:

Please expand! What would this mean for Wurm if that vanished?

I doubt it will go away soon, but even if it would we would have enough time to replace current JNLP launcher with standalone client.

41 minutes ago, Steveleeb said:

http://www.computerweekly.com/feature/White-Paper-Java-3D-API-and-virtual-reality

tickles my fancy.
it also tells me Java is going nowhere.

Java3D still exists in changed form, right now it is element of modern JavaFX GUI library - naturally it is not suited for games, but for interactive 3d apps and various science/enterprise stuff (NASA even wrote their own graphics library for Java based on older version of it). "Old" Java3D is no longer supported by Oracle, but it was picked up by community and is still developed under JOGL project (DeedPlanner is example of program which uses JOGL).

For games, most obvious choices are LWJGL and JOGL, both developed by Java community. There are some complete and well known Java-based engines as well, with most famous one being the LibGDX.

• Like 1

Never liked Java tied to browser, to many script kiddies use java to exploit do to every changing nature of the language.

Also hated Java Script as it basically did what PHP, and Perl did but with very messy coding, though SpiderMonkey is fun on a firefox browser

Thx for the replies Warlander and others, was just curious what it all meant in years to come.

Also some game engine support more then one language such as Darkfall which uses C but has framework wrapped inside for JAVA.

Java will probably last for at least 20+ years in the mainstream, it designed for fast coding while hiding the details.

Personally I'm more of a C family boy since all the modern computer languages are basically derivatives