Sign in to follow this  
Zakerak

When WU will have legal way to start second/third client?

Discussion, if single client at time is enough in Wurm is rather useless. Soones or later every true Wurmian will discover he/she needs at last one more toon. If not as priest, then as helper for bridge planning.

In WO it is not problem, you can start as much clients as your computer can handle, with some tweaks in setting even more.

But in WU Steam limits us to single one. Why? Because Steam do not understand, how Wurm works. And because Wurm was not primary planned for Steam. In this point of view is Wurm Unlimited rather Unfinished project.

I know, it is possible to start one client, kill steam, start another one ... But did you try it ever? It is quite unfriendly procedure with often uncertain outcome. Not even talking about legality of such solution.

I do not know, how to solve it properly. Perhaps split Starting window from game itself and keep Starting window alive below game client/s?

Rolf, Developers, please, save us. Improve current unfinished Wurm Limited into true Wurm Unlimited.

thanks

Due to the way Steam works, I'm not sure if this is something Code Club can influence/control.

Would be nice to see though.

Edited by Cheshire

go to task manager

end steam bootstrapper

load wurm online unlimited

change name

Edited by Aetherion

Well you don't need an alt to plan a bridge - as I believe you just plant the range pole where you need it then have your main use the diopta. You can have alts, and have an alt priest(s) you just can't have them both logged on at the same time (without working around the steam restriction). There are plenty of "single player" games that restrict you to just 1 character at a time. It might be nice to be able to easily have multiple characters logged on at once, but it isn't essential, at least not for most things.

• Like 1

It's possible to launch more than one client. If you launch the client from the folder itself instead of through steam, you can open more than one window.

Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\WurmLauncher.exe and open that.

16 hours ago, Nyctinus said:

If you launch the client from the folder itself instead of through steam, you can open more than one window.

It

* starts,

* loads the steam api,

* notices that it's not started through steam,

* instructs stream to start the game again -> fails because the game is already running

* exits

CC could however make a chance that allows multiple characters if they run in the one and same computer and login. That would not eat their sales I think.

It is much simpler for users and steam to keep the launcher open and spawn the client from there, it would be a little tricky to achieve but could be a possibility. I'd love to try making this as a mod but I'm pretty sure that would class as messing with the steam authentication and is not allowed, if a dev informs me otherwise I'll start right away (well when I have time). 

• Like 1

From what devs have stated, this would require updating to LWJGL 3.0, although I'm not sure why.  As Webba says, it would be better to let the launcher remain open and launch multiple clients.

Perhaps use steam verification on some kind of a "game launcher" that exits after launching the client and steam only verifies the launcher. Use this instead of steam having to verify the client. Also make it difficult to run the client without the launcher.

The fact that you can use Task Manager to kill the Steam bootstrapper thingy and launch multiple clients demonstrates that a solution does exist. And I'm not saying use this but to find a solution that figures out why this works and make something like it that is more user friendly.

I just use the following batch file  but it would be favorable to have an official way.

@echo off
rem ------------- Variables ------------------
SET Wurm=366220
SET Steam="%programfiles(x86)%\Steam\Steam.exe"
rem -------- Kill the 3 steam processes -------
taskkill -f -im steamservice.exe
taskkill -f -im steam.exe
taskkill -f -im gameoverlayui.exe
rem ------- Start Wurm  Unlimited --------------
call "Steam" %STEAM%
:LAUNCH
timeout /t 1 /nobreak >nul
start "Steam - Wurm Unlimited" %STEAM% -applaunch %WURM% >nul 2>nul || goto LAUNCH
exit

So the issue is that steam looks for the process by name after first launch in case the api fails. The launcher can get multiple steam tokens it just means you would have to make it launched a separate process which takes some startup parameters of username, steam token and server address. Then you just mod the launcher to open this new process with the appropriate parameters and stay open. The last part is the bit which is a grey area which is that you would have to disable the steam api on the actual clients (at least I think you would and I'd love to be proven wrong ). If anyone can think of a better way of doing this without having to make multiple processes and a way of starting the game without steam I'm all ears. 

Lastly if making a multi client mod in the way I have described is allowed then I'd love to hear it.

If the launcher stayed open instead of closing when the client runs maybe? Under the hood, the client is still a java app that probably has no communication with steam at all. I'm not a codemonkey though so I would not even know how to check.

The "launcher" is just a start screen where you select the server to connect to.

The "game" connects to the server and during that process sends the steam authentication token to the server. The server verifies the token with steam and - if valid - uses the token to grant access to the account (the steam id is used as a kind of password).

So yeah, in theory it should be possible in some way to pass the steam token to a separate java process which uses it to login to a server. But this could very well qualify as an illegal modification on the licensing code.

• Like 2

I was hoping more for a developer solution than a community mod. Changing how things look and work inside a launched game is one thing. Changing how the game launches (by bypassing Steam procedure) is nothing I want to risk a couple hundred dollars of games on. It would really blow to have a steam account banned, even with the little bit of games I have. I could not imagine some people's libraries. 

EDIT: That being said, many games on Steam that I own, you can run the client from its folder and it never even contacts Steam. Some are able to load that way, some are not. 

Edited by Audrel

1 hour ago, Audrel said:

I was hoping more for a developer solution than a community mod. Changing how things look and work inside a launched game is one thing. Changing how the game launches (by bypassing Steam procedure) is nothing I want to risk a couple hundred dollars of games on. It would really blow to have a steam account banned, even with the little bit of games I have. I could not imagine some people's libraries. 

EDIT: That being said, many games on Steam that I own, you can run the client from its folder and it never even contacts Steam. Some are able to load that way, some are not. 

Steam don't usually ban you unless you are trying to run the game without buying it, I'm wanting a developer answer before I do anything since I don't want to do it, get reported for breaking tos and loose my £1000+ steam account

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Webba said:

Steam don't usually ban you unless you are trying to run the game without buying it, I'm wanting a developer answer before I do anything since I don't want to do it, get reported for breaking tos and loose my £1000+ steam account

Exactly. If you get the go-ahead, I would love to see it done!