Sign in to follow this  
permo

Removed low nutrition penalty?

Yeah, food right now is silly

Way to easily to get meat, one day you can easily grab 200+ meats from hunting once you get around 50-70 FS.

Same with farming, and collecting herbs 

System currently just penalties the young players that can't hunt well, and creates a huge overflow of food items for veteran players

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Cooking and food has long been discussed and mentioned as something that needs, and will receive an overhaul. Many of these suggestions can come under that overhaul without penalising players for not being able to feed themselves.

I agree with the goal of not penalizing new players, and this achieves that. However, this also creates a massive "dead zone" where food and cooking skill gives a player nothing of value until after a not insignificant skill grind. That bothers me, and I hope cooking gets a well needed complete rebuild.

Make HFC able to create food buffs that can enchance skills or give ya a certain exp boost in  certain skills etc. personally i feel HFC needs alot more love and its current setup simply................Bites.

• Like 3

I for one hope they do a revamp of the food system. I have some where between 30-40 different food items in my FSB with no real purpose to any of them, not to mention all the drink and juice options.

Even with the rares and refreshes I still cook food as that is part of the realism that brought me to Wurm and has kept me here. So please do something to make HFC something that at least benefits those who wish to pursue it.

P.S. I may be a sadist but as a new player the constant need to find food and improve its quality was an awesome experience, sad to see that lost to new players.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2016 at 8:14 PM, Evilreaper said:

the realism in this game is what attracted me to it, not needing nutrition any more is sad, no the 90+ crafters wont be eating meals, they can just spam more 90+ stuff to kill the economy more... good idea wurm, keep screwing the little guys

I'm nowhere near 90 in anything but digging and I have not cooked a meal in months. I often times make bricks or nails for projects and end up with a couple rares that supplement my Refresh from Path of Love. Why would I want to eat a meal that gives me 72 nutrition when I can eat a rock or nail that gives me 99 then lets me fast to 79. Even if I fast a third time, I would not have hit the penalty. If you do resource gathering or parts making, you are almost guaranteed a rare piece of junk to sac daily, even if you don't have a refresh. Invest in a chest and you can save any extras for rainy days. 

This low nutrition penalty was almost solely landing on the heads of new players - the ones without the ability to actively hunt  adequately or farm any quality components. It never did affect the 90+ people. It hasn't affected me since the low 50s when I changed to PoL from PoK. Removing it helped no one flood the market and it helps the little guys - the ones smaller than you - in many ways.

I somehow managed to skip the awfulness of newbie cooking, because i got invited into a village on my first day, but lately i was out in a wilderness with a free alt and i now want to give you some idea about it if you don't remember or never tried it like me:

So, i noticed that my alt went too hungry when mining in a cave. I went out of the cave, swam a bit to the nearest clay pit, dug up some clay, made a clay bowl, wandered around for about five minutes, found a spider, called guards on it, butchered it and got 0.5 kg of meat (Right? 0.5kg of meat off a 50kg animal the size of a cart? Well... low butchering skill), cut and chopped a tree nearby, made a kindling on the 3rd try, took one log with me and returned to the cave, created a campfire on the 4th try, which included making a new kindling, fueled it with remainings of the log, put the bowl inside of my campfire, went out of the cave again to embark my rowboat and fish with a fishpole i found an hour ago, got 2x0.25kg herrings in 10 minutes, returned into the cave, waited for about 5 minutes more for the bowl to cook, thrown the meat and fish inside and in a minute i finally got the bowl with 1kg 2ql casserole.

This was fun since i missed out on this part of the game, but guess what happened then? So, again, i knew what to do (and new players will have to ask so much they will need 2 hours for this), i spent about 35 minutes to cook this casserole, i still had the newbie food buff on and this casserole... brought me up from 20 to 23% of the foodbar.

This is it.

15 hours ago, fatboy said:

Make HFC able to create food buffs that can enchance skills or give ya a certain exp boost in  certain skills etc. personally i feel HFC needs alot more love and its current setup simply................Bites.

Sometimes the oldest ideas are the best ideas.

I loved cooking in Everquest.

• Like 1

HFC really does need a different direction,

Would sooner see a recipe nutrition range of 0-20 (at 100%)  and each recipe having a different base nutrition rate so I dunno a risotto will always bring you into the 35-55 range as an example.

Simple recipes (2 items) should at max offer a max base of 60% nutrition so this means the existing mealz would max out at 80 nutrition. The worst simple recipes should start at a 30% nutrition base.

More complex recipes needing 3 or more components  can go higher but on a per recipe basis. Dumping extra ingredients into a meal for example has no impact.

For the more complex recipes, have additional attributes, ermm going Tolkein

Cram - bread + onion + corn + dirt   O_o  allows for a long lasting (really long) food in the 60-80 range. You'd have to reduce the dirt size to fit it in the pan though.

Lembas - corn + sage + kelp + rice + oregano (no idea what it tastes like) creates a reasonably long lasting meal in the 80-100 range but you can only make them in small weights.

Cram you'd need 50 HFC before its an option, Lembas, 70.

All sorts of fun recipes and variety of ingredients and effects but of course the obligatory nothing that can be borked in PvP.......

Food items should fall into several categories of 'food group' with each having a different benefit to different attributes: endurance, recovery, speed, accuracy, etc. 

Without penalizing any player for starving, having a varied diet enables small improvements to different aspects of physical performance; improved resistance to damage/fatigue, quicker recovery of health/stamina, faster foot travel and action times.

• Like 1

On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 11:20 PM, Retrograde said:

Cooking and food has long been discussed and mentioned as something that needs, and will receive an overhaul. Many of these suggestions can come under that overhaul without penalising players for not being able to feed themselves.

I am really looking forward to these changes.

On Monday, February 01, 2016 at 10:17 PM, zigozag said:

1kg 2ql casserole.

35 minutes to cook

brought me up from 20 to 23% of the foodbar.

A worst case scenario, but yes new players will do that if they don't know better.  Maybe the extreme difference between how much a QL 1 item and a QL 99 item (or QL 100 in the case of water) fill the bar needs to be addressed.  And not necessarily just by cutting off the low end as they just did with nutrition.

But that is food bar talk and this is a nutrition thread.  My beef with nutrition currently is it keeps the player from eating 90% of the possible food types.  Only Meals and Risottos are acceptable, or you start trashing your nutrition and lose skill gain bonus.

What if eating food had a chance of giving you some sleep bonus (based on quality of food) as long as you were above 60 nutrition? This means simpler food would have a use again, because they have a better quality modifier and would thus add more sleeping bonus on average.

I'm not sure what kind of values we'd be talking about. 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:01 PM, Ricowan said:

Sacrificing rares and Refresh from level 4 Path of Love made HFC moot a long time ago.  I have never felt the need to level it in the four years I've been playing.

On the other hand I have never had my characters become "followers" of any gods in this game; thus, no sacrificing available to them. Meditation? Nope, never wasted any time on that either. There are many avenues available in ways to play this game, so all those who see HFC and meals as worthless other than for priest skill gains just focus on their way to play the game.

As long as they don't change and penalize the current HFC and benefits I am fine with adding more to it but usually so called improvements nerf the current system or are so complex and onerous as to not be worth the time. The low nutrition penalty removal I see as mainly benefiting newer players, so in that respect it is a positive change, while the other HFC benefits remain available to those who actually cook and eat meals.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Current system:

•eating food moves your nutrition level (N) towards the nutrition value of the food, while fullness (F) increases

•QL of food determines both nutrition value of the food and the (F) given per kg of food

Proposed system:

•(N) decreases over time and cannot be reduced by eating. (N) increases as food is eaten, based on food QL

•(F) is increased equally to the volume of food eaten and is not affected by food QL

It is backwards to avoid eating in order to maintain nutrition; starvation is a lack of nourishment. It should be possible to eat anything while only ever gaining nutrition, with concern placed on [nutritional value] vs [digestion rate].

With the proposed system, you would only be able to achieve high nutrition by saving space in your stomach for higher quality food (as with the old system); eating lower quality food will not harm your nutrition, but will occupy your stomach space, leaving you with even less nutrition at your next meal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meldichoir said:

Current system:

•eating food moves your nutrition level (N) towards the nutrition value of the food, while fullness (F) increases

•QL of food determines both nutrition value of the food and the (F) given per kg of food

Proposed system:

•(N) decreases over time and cannot be reduced by eating. (N) increases as food is eaten, based on food QL

•(F) is increased equally to the volume of food eaten and is not affected by food QL

It is backwards to avoid eating in order to maintain nutrition; starvation is a lack of nourishment. It should be possible to eat anything while only ever gaining nutrition, with concern placed on [nutritional value] vs [digestion rate].

With the proposed system, you would only be able to achieve high nutrition by saving space in your stomach for higher quality food (as with the old system); eating lower quality food will not harm your nutrition, but will occupy your stomach space, leaving you with even less nutrition at your next meal. 

So   the end event would be once you have one high ql meal and high nutrtion  you then can run around eating berries  all you like because your nutrition will stay at your highest ql meal  nutrition? sounds flawed to me ,i know when i do fencing  or digging holes on the farm  berries will not  replenish  me  especially on a cold  freezing day ,but a meal with  veggies and hot   that's what does it,the current system has more merit then just upping your nutrition once and then stabilizing it with anything you can eat.

27 minutes ago, Toecutter said:

So   the end event would be once you have one high ql meal and high nutrtion  you then can run around eating berries  all you like because your nutrition will stay at your highest ql meal  nutrition? sounds flawed to me ,i know when i do fencing  or digging holes on the farm  berries will not  replenish  me  especially on a cold  freezing day ,but a meal with  veggies and hot   that's what does it,the current system has more merit then just upping your nutrition once and then stabilizing it with anything you can eat.

That's not what I got from what he was saying.

What I got was if you were 2kg of food hungry and ate 1kg of Meal worth 2000 nutrition, and 1kg of berries worth 100 nutrition, you'd be full and have 2100 nutrition. So food never makes you worse (always get more nutrition) but bad food means you don't have as much nutrition, and you'll run out sooner without being very hungry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darmalus said:

If you were 2kg of food hungry and ate 1kg of Meal worth 2000 nutrition, and 1kg of berries worth 100 nutrition, you'd be full and have 2100 nutrition. So food never makes you worse (always get more nutrition) but bad food means you don't have as much nutrition, and you'll run out sooner without being very hungry.

Love path... haven't made food, aside from making obscure stuff for giggles, in years.

Them cheese sandwiches though!

Edited by Klaa

On 1/26/2016 at 8:34 AM, Asyumi said:

'Survival' has been steadily removed from the game for as long as I can remember.

Which is both good and bad I think....gets rid of 'daily chores' like feeding yourself, but results in a change from the concept of the game I feel.

Death upon starvation etc and even things like being unable to carry as much weight etc if hungry/starving would only be 'fun' if the game focused more on the process of gathering and cooking food. Right now, if those systems we (re)implemented, it only servers to annoy players who do not have an established home.

When I joined this game in 2012 it was all about survival. That was what was fun and why it appealed to me. It was incredible. Absorbing. Yet as I've  grown in skill I've learned htis game is not about survival, it's essentially hardcore farmville. Everybody nested safely in their deeds grinding s*** all day.

Edited by Lightonfoot

On 1/26/2016 at 8:34 AM, Asyumi said:

'Survival' has been steadily removed from the game for as long as I can remember.

Which is both good and bad I think....gets rid of 'daily chores' like feeding yourself, but results in a change from the concept of the game I feel.

Death upon starvation etc and even things like being unable to carry as much weight etc if hungry/starving would only be 'fun' if the game focused more on the process of gathering and cooking food. Right now, if those systems we (re)implemented, it only servers to annoy players who do not have an established home.

This is what I liked about the game when I started in 2012. Survival meant something. I went in the forums and supported it. But as usual the herd of carebears don't like it and they scream loudly. The farmers can't ignore the herd, evne if the very things they do to appease the herd hurt some of animals--like me.

Because that's how it's. Removing these things is not and never was fun to me. I didn't come screaming to the forums for mercy. I was alone. I was on the PvP server. I lived it. I speak from experience. I'm not nostalgic or wearing rose-colored glasses. I'm too old to fall for that trick. Like I said, I came into these forums and supported those features when I was a new player, not years later, so that argument fails.

Trouble is hte direction of this game is determined by hte herd, not just a few animals. It's trouble on the one hand and appropriate on the other. The herd SHOULD determine what happens.

Evenso, I can still speak my mind.

Edited by Lightonfoot

Oh FFS, i started in 2009 and  food was never part of "surviving" if you had any minimal clue. Get a fishing rod and you can feed yourself for a few days in 5 minutes. Plant a few tiles of pumpkins and you are set for life.

If you want a game where feeding yourself is a challenge, this isn't it, and hasn't been ever.

"The herd of carebears" ... 

Think of some small quality of life bonuses maybe

Above X nutrition you could

-Remove the 5 minute delay on turning sleep bonus on/off

-Que one more action

-Some sort of rare window bonus, minimal obviously, like 1 more minute idk

Each one of those can have some sort of event window message pop up that fits in like "without focusing on hunger you now hone your mind on other tasks" whatever cringy sounding thing that works

Anything that doesn't create a new 'must have' meta

Edited by Cornchips

the devs should make the food taste better then more people would cook