Sign in to follow this  
permo

Removed low nutrition penalty?

Why? What's the point with HFC now? Is there a point to make and eat high QL meals now? This is extra frustraiting as a priest now when we know Soul Depth does nothing really...

• High nutrition will give you a maximum skill gain bonus of 5%, while low nutrition gives you a maximum skill gain penalty of 5%. Nutrition between 40 and 60 will not give any bonus or penalty.

There is still a bonus to having over 60 nutrition.  There is just no longer a 5% loss to people who can't or won't feed themselves.  So if you're a crafter I would say that it's very worth it just for the extra bump in skill gain.

• Like 5

'Survival' has been steadily removed from the game for as long as I can remember.

Which is both good and bad I think....gets rid of 'daily chores' like feeding yourself, but results in a change from the concept of the game I feel.

Death upon starvation etc and even things like being unable to carry as much weight etc if hungry/starving would only be 'fun' if the game focused more on the process of gathering and cooking food. Right now, if those systems we (re)implemented, it only servers to annoy players who do not have an established home.

Edited by Asyumi
  • Like 1

Oh good stuff since i 90% of the time have 10% nutrition anyways

Great change wurm team!

5 minutes ago, LorenaMontana said:

Oh good stuff since i 90% of the time have 10% nutrition anyways

Great change wurm team!

Bet you can dodge like a reed in the wind!

3 minutes ago, Audrel said:

Bet you can dodge like a reed in the wind!

Yeah haha, u lose(d) fat layers so slow lol, it was insane 

• Like 1

HFC in my opinion is nothing but a joke, same as tracking. Since its so easy to get rares mining or digging, last time I had food was like a year ago... Well mycelium helped as well... nvm then..

There was no nutrition in the game back when I started and it was a lot more enjoyable that way. I would honestly cheer them on if they decided to remove nutrition entirely.

• Like 9

I eat rare rock shards when my refresh isn't enough. I do enjoy my cooked meat collection though. It's getting really big since SD is worthless.

Sacrificing rares and Refresh from level 4 Path of Love made HFC moot a long time ago.  I have never felt the need to level it in the four years I've been playing.

Just now, Audrel said:

I eat rare rock shards when my refresh isn't enough. I do enjoy my cooked meat collection though. It's getting really big since SD is worthless.

Whoever decided SD and therefore HFC was important, was either the greatest prank ever pulled in Wurm, or the best sales pitch by a farmer who needed to sell a ton of veggies :P

• Like 5

I was mostly just a bit morning cranky i think :P 

• Like 1

Well i don't mind HFC  it's like  ship building i brought my fleet of 3 boats/ships   my ship building is 1  so i can say that's useless too really..HFC is the best Mind Logic gains you can do  so you are all missing out :P

And i do regularly  take my rare pan with me and heat food up in  it,as it adds a little realism to my wurm and how i play it especially out in the feild :)

• Like 1

100% agree with Toecutter.  Use it for ML gains.  Nothing worse that having a super fast tool and having to refill your queue 2-3 times, before your stam bar gets used up. 

Also, I think cooking make for a nice bit of role play and level of detail to the game.

3 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Also, I think cooking make for a nice bit of role play and level of detail to the game.

I imagine a play style with all focus on efficiency and no attention at all on decor; that would produce tasteless structures and properties that only serve the immediate 'numbers' behind the game.

Reminds me of the advice to remove all my cloth clothes in order to move around faster. The clothes are worn for mobility, but I'm not going to run around naked because of some little difference numbers. 

A smart designer would make Soul Depth useful, and publicize it, rather than getting rid of a system that really isn't that badly designed for what it's intended as. (It's no different than the Sleep Bonus system.)

• Like 1

the realism in this game is what attracted me to it, not needing nutrition any more is sad, no the 90+ crafters wont be eating meals, they can just spam more 90+ stuff to kill the economy more... good idea wurm, keep screwing the little guys

Food been busted for years, just about everyone refreshes with Sac, or Spell, or meditation or all three.

Cooking wouldn't be as bad if food lasted for a lot longer in a cooked formed

Way to make nutrition useful again.

Change it from a flat bonus to more like a massive stamina bar, with nutrition consumed per action. The amount of nutrition added to the bar per "bite" of food increases with food QL.

Change the bonus to something like this:

1% skill bonus per 10% nutrition, capping at 50% and +5% skill gain. No penalty for <10% nutrition other than lost opportunities.

Above 60% a small but growing increase in chance to get a moment of inspiration, like deed bonus. This means high skill crafters will absolutely want high nutrition at all times.

Change refresh & sacing to fill your thirst and hunger but only give you 55% nutrition. This is actually pretty harsh, since it means you have to get hungry before you can try to eat something to get that sweet rarity bonus.

Bonus

Since nutrition is now a big "pool" to be filled, adding nutrition to think like fruit drinks would make a new demand and market, since as I understand it they don't do anything at the moment except refill thirst.

No idea what everyone has..... but high nut still gives skill bonus....

So........ whats the point of this Thread?

As stated by others, the high nutrition bonus is still there, so there is still a point to maintaining a high nutrition (as the 90+ crafters will attest, every potential boost to skillgain is important!)

This move is aimed at removing penalties for new players, who arent able to provide themselves with the high quality meals that we all can once we're established. The bartender is only an option if one stays at the spawn point, whereas most players enjoy wandering out amongst the wilderness.

So the bonus to having high nutrition remains, but the punishing for not being able to provide yourself the high nutrition meals is gone

• Like 4

Just a thought, but a very long lasting buff could have accomplished this without changing mechanics. I'm not sure it is worth the extra development time over the existing solution though.

Cooking and food has long been discussed and mentioned as something that needs, and will receive an overhaul. Many of these suggestions can come under that overhaul without penalising players for not being able to feed themselves.

• Like 2

If the goal was just to not punish people for not being able to eat well, then this solution handles it well. Glad to know reworking food is on the table though and I look forward to seeing what positive incentives for eating better and different foods are implemented.

• Like 1