Sign in to follow this  
Pinchaloaf

Why is macroing on the PvE servers cheating?

It's bizarre that we've even been having these conversations at all. I thought it was pretty universally understood that cheating in games is bad and ruins the fun for everyone else. Like, we're talking kindergarten-level social skills, here. And especially now that WU is released, cheaters can skip as much of the game as they want without harming anyone. Yet people are still demanding to be able to do it on the WO servers? The selfishness is unreal.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Pinchaloaf said:

For the record, I've done nothing but PvP in Wurm and I was legitimately curious why macroing matters on PvE. I've never macro'd before because to me, it defeats the purpose of "playing" a game. But I can see everyone would rather call troll.

You the guy that has the clay pit surrounded by trash bins?

I agree with that Sme. For the life of me, I have no idea what possessed them to link Wild with Freedom. It's bad enough the two communities can't stand each other in the forums, linking them in game was a mistake. But to think that a person using macros intended to use a PvE server to grind up skills for later use on the PvP server is a bit silly. Why not just stay on the PvP server and do the same thing? If you get caught, does it matter what server type you are on when you were doing it?

Here it is, plain and simple:  using a macro allows you to bypass most of the time and effort put into actually playing the game.  The game was not intended to be played this way, so using macros is obviously cheating.  Case closed.  Lock the thread.

• Like 2

In the current state it would matter if you wanted it legal on pve but not pvp then that would be why a pvper would do it that way and not just stay on chaos.

Some of us have the fortune or misfortune to be born in countries where you're constantly taught by life that cheating gets you ahead. You can't blame people for not falling into your reality of standards since you don't know how they've been brought up. They told me that there's no internet in the army and no mobile phones are allowed. But that's only if they catch you hohoho :P I'm essentially a cheater, but I dont hurt anyone by having internet access when I'm not supposed to have, do I ?

The same can be said about cheating in general. There are people who do it for the profit and there are people who do it for the thrill. I really like chatting with cheaters/hackers cause I find them an interesting group of people who are different than the mass. But on the other hand, I puke when I see people who use cheating to hurt the economy of the game, or sell accounts made without any effort.

Lot's of those so called "law abiding citizens of Wurm Online" have been involved in situations that led to damage to the game and to other people leaving and getting thrown out without resorting to cheating. Yet I see them coming in topics like this and pretending to be saints even if they're thorns that have rooted themselves in the community.

Things look different, depending on the perspective you look them from.

Huge difference between hackers and cheaters.  Hackers don't pump out 10k afk clay or sell their account; their game is beating the system and most respect the spirit of the rules (hence not affect economy) and don't go on to pvp or whatever.  Cheaters are nothing to respected and deserve nothing less than public shaming and loss of all gains 

12 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Here it is, plain and simple:  using a macro allows you to bypass most of the time and effort put into actually playing the game.  The game was not intended to be played this way, so using macros is obviously cheating.  Case closed.  Lock the thread.

The reason why people cheat in this case is because Wurm is god awful in terms of being able to make ###### in any sort of timely fashion. If they FIXed this damn game there wouldnt be such a need for people to cheat... But you see its a double edged sword.. Ive known a few people in the past who have been banned for multi reason and not all for macroing. The one specifically i reffer to was not banned for macroing but i wont go into any details... That player however was a very positive person for the community was very much invovled with large events was always helping new playera and so on... Bans are not always the solution for everything. 

Going back to talking about how retarded crafting decent enough items to be able to pvp with... Hence the reason why much of my crafting skills suck.. If they learned to balance the game better and get a new system for bans i can bet you cheating would not be an issue. In every single game cheating always comes into play for the exact same reason... Lack of balance is typically one of them and people feel its a last resort. In a game like wurm the economy is not falling apart because of cheaters and macroers.

9 minutes ago, ClericGunem said:

Huge difference between hackers and cheaters.  Hackers don't pump out 10k afk clay or sell their account; their game is beating the system and most respect the spirit of the rules (hence not affect economy) and don't go on to pvp or whatever.  Cheaters are nothing to respected and deserve nothing less than public shaming and loss of all gains 

So you think a hacker that makes changes to client files for their benefit in pve or pvp is better then someone running a macro? 

Even if we assume that you have a valid point (even though your point comes down to being values-based, thus there'll never actually be a "right" or "wrong" unless we state goals and take those goals to be absolute), that PvEers can travel to PvP makes any such point moot.

This is what i love about wurmian's view on economy:

"If i dig 1000 dirt and it takes one hour, i can get one silver"

But, you can purchase one silver for 1 euro. So, you are making 1 euro an hour.

My view: "I dont feel like digging dirt, but i can buy 50 silver which equates to saving 50 hours of gameplay just digging dirt."

And since i make 50e/hour in real life i dont get all up in arms and angry that some chap next to me is macroing because...it doesnt affect my game experience. Honestly, people. Do you HONESTLY believe that some chap who is macroing to improve his toolbelt is affecting your game experience?

You need to ask yourself, do you play wurm online for building or do you play the game to try to make a measly income with in game money? 

Everyone here needs to go outside more. PLEASE! Your Kyphosis is getting worse by the day!

• Like 2

50€/ hour in real life.......no wonder that you don´t care about anything.... you just can buy everything.

Are all rich People snobbish like your Post....?

5 minutes ago, Caduryn said:

50€/ hour in real life.......no wonder that you don´t care about anything.... you just can buy everything.

His post was not snobbish at all just a different perspective on the economic points of the game.

Are all pve players this obsessed with silver?

I bet his income makes a big impact on "his perspective".

Why he even post his income in this Topic other then showing everyone he don´t care about Money and because of that he don´t care about Cheaters.

Edited by Caduryn

Bragging 50e ... so you would be rich on a third world country...not worth bragging about.

And you are fine with cheating cause does not affect you....   just so you know  there mr peanuts i know several people who do and have played wurm and are worth quite bit more who still consider it cheating

And I make my own mats and deeds and furniture.....

Edited by ClericGunem
too personal

26 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

His post was not snobbish at all just a different perspective on the economic points of the game.

Are all pve players this obsessed with silver?

This entire has become a cash shop for far to many. Starting with the introduction of traders long ago and the elite at the time were keeping it a secret as much as they could about how traders worked. Thats your problem with wurm and its economy not a macroer.

7 hours ago, Pinchaloaf said:

Exactly Kegan. That's an excuse to use a macro. Someone who doesn't want to "play" the game in a traditional sense, as far as discussion goes with respect to PvE servers. Personally, I don't want to use a macro because I enjoy playing the game. However, if someone was to macro next to me on a PvE server, then it is no skin off my back. I don't lose anything. On a PvP server, it makes a huge difference. And I got news for you, macroing on PvP servers is ridiculous. Unless certain stats are gated, the accounts can get out of hand pretty fast. However, on a PvE server, there is no damage done, other than to the so called economy, which I've already explained my thoughts on.

I do see your points, however, what I don't see is the amount of damage y'all say it does. To me it's negligible.

Negligible. Mine 10k clay while sleeping & sell for 10s. Make 1000 pickaxes to get rares while sleeping & sell for silver. That's not negligible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caduryn said:

you assume just because i make 50e/hour i have a high AGI. but, what if i told you that i only work partime bring my annually salary to 50k/year. 

then would you still consider me rich?

the fact of the matter that i could go out and make 50e/hour if i wanted to does not mean i have a high annually salary. Glad you are tolerant of other people's life styles.

30 minutes ago, zethreal said:

Negligible. Mine 10k clay while sleeping & sell for 10s. Make 1000 pickaxes to get rares while sleeping & sell for silver. That's not negligible.

+1

I don't know how many times this scenario has to be stated for it to sink in.  I mentioned it, and it was apparently ignored.  People only hear what they want to hear to fit their scheme.  Not worth wasting our breath on cheaters, honestly.

3 hours ago, IloveWurm said:

"And since i make 50e/hour in real life"

Nothing about partime.

Nothing about max  50k/year.

Nothing about "i could" or "if i wanted"

Next time you should post it more clear.

Imo it should be something like this: if you like .... pay over 50 euro / month in wurm online ( premium + silver purchases included ), you are allowed to use macros for being short of a luxury customer. Or another alternative would be, if you get caught macroing, your account gets locked and you need to purchase an 100 euro unlock key from wurm shop to enable it again.

Sounds like a fair compromise doesn't it ?

Edited by ElvenElder

It's all about the work you put into the accounts. If you're using macros, you're not putting in the work yet gaining the same skills as those who are actually putting in the work. Thus, macroers end up with a competitive advantage even on pve.

18 minutes ago, ElvenElder said:

Imo it should be something like this: if you like .... pay over 50 euro / month in wurm online ( premium + silver purchases included ), you are allowed to use macros for being short of a luxury customer. Or another alternative would be, if you get caught macroing, your account gets locked and you need to purchase an 100 euro unlock key from wurm shop to enable it again.

Sounds like a fair compromise doesn't it ?

No, it doesn't to me. Anything outside of the notion of being banned can potentially encourage macroing. That's not what this game is about. Any macroing is unfair for the people who have spent years of effort they've put in on their accounts without macroing. Macroing is nothing other than disrespectful for those who don't macro in my opinion.

If someone feels the need to macro in this game, then Wurm Online is probably not for them. This is now especially the case with the availability of Wurm Unlimited, where skillgain is generally faster.

Edited by Lotus1
  • Like 1

You guys invest way too much of your lives into a video game that does not benefit your life in any sort of way.

it is not a hobby, its an addiction.

Edited by IloveWurm

16 minutes ago, IloveWurm said:

You guys invest way too much of your lives into a video game that does not benefit your life in any sort of way.

it is not a hobby, its an addiction.

I don't really know what you're trying to say here. Not trying to troll or anything but, from reading your posts here, you don't think it's okay for people to judge your income and spending habits in game, yet it's okay for you to judge other people's hours they spend in game?

Okay then....

Edited by Lotus1