Sign in to follow this  
Warlander

[WIP] MapPlanner - Server Map Generator For Wurm Unlimited

MapPlanner

Server map generator for Wurm Unlimited

MapPlanner is a tool which allows you to design and generate maps for Wurm Unlimited - all you need to do is reuse one of built-in examples, use templates created by other users or create your own, click "execute" and wait until your map is ready! Due to program structure it is suitable both for normal and advanced users - normal users can simply drag and drop blocks to decide what elements they want to see on map, while advanced ones can use more powerful features like parallel blocks execution or even create their own modules to extend the program capabilities. Thanks to simple modding system, adding new modules is as simple as copying single file.

There is no set release date yet, but I would expect that program will be ready for initial release in late February or March.

Screenshots

17-22-07.png

mapgen.gif

• Like 9

Nice, Hopefully this one will have a little bit more control over the overall shape of the map, without the need to use an outside program.

4 hours ago, Lichbane said:

I have no idea how it's going to work, but it looks DAMNED COOL!

Block basically have 3 elements:

• Inputs - if there are many of them you can decide which ones you want to show in template, which in side panel providing quick access to parameters users are meant to change in order to alter the generation and which ones show only when right-clicking the block
  • Outputs - always visible in template, basically what the block does
  • Code - hidden from users, it does all the dirty work to turn inputs into outputs while telling you about progress at the same time (in case of things that take longer time to complete).
9 hours ago, Cryptic_Tundra said:

Nice, Hopefully this one will have a little bit more control over the overall shape of the map, without the need to use an outside program.

This is still generator and not map drawing tool, so - while someone could make a block that allows that - program is meant to generate new maps from scratch or using imported heightmaps. On the other hand, some basic stuff to make "balanced" maps like mirroring terrain will be provided.

Getting closer and closer to release, so... Time for another GIF!

parameters.gif

The whole backend stuff is already done, so I can fully focus on map generator now - I estimate that program will be ready for first public release in less than 4 weeks.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Audrel said:

:ph34r: Ninja peeking to check on progress.

Program core (including stuff like templates saving/loading) and modding API are fully functional already, but program still have some rendering-related problems (JavaFX rendering is moody sometimes) and generation mechanisms are mostly not in yet. Getting generation right (especially when it is modular like in this case) is pretty time-consuming process, so I am not sure when exactly program will be released (and don't want to give another imprecise release date). I think it will be ready for release when generation of fully featured map (at least with heightmap, simple biomes, flora and ores) will be possible.

• Like 1

I have been using the same generated map since November for WU. :D 

I just like to play with the various editors and see what they make. No rush here.

Spoiler

10 hours ago, MootRed said:

any updates?

Not really. While doing map generation stuff I figured out that most of operations are (or even must) be linear, and this makes the whole graph-based design pointless. I have to admit that it looks and works pretty good, but is simply not that suitable for this specific task (map generation).

I am thinking about changing the program to work in more linear way, using simple list of blocks instead of graphs. While this would take away some freedom, map generation is mostly linear process anyway (you cannot generate rivers before generating terrain, or generate rivers and drop dirt in parallel, or - most extreme case - create forests before generating terrain height, because this would lead to unexpected results). On the other hand, freeing huge part of screen would allow to fit more details about how modules work and how changing any values will influence the map directly on screen instead of the documentation. The whole program would become much easier and quicker to use while keeping the possibility to change how generation will look like and allowing use of plugins.

Just in case, the whole code of the current version of the program is on my GitHub account.

• Like 1

What about creating a map generator that allows for heightmap editing built in. 

Meaning, you can you "paint" the 16-bit grayscale picture?>