Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Flying Creature - Giant Wasp/Giant Eagle

Wurm could use for a good dose of something a little new.  A flying creature added to the game as a typical mob would be quite unique for Wurm.  I'm suggesting either a Giant Wasp or a Giant Eagle, or both.

Since Wurm is viewed as a 3D environment on a 2D plane I wouldn't expect such a creature to actually fly in the game, but rather hover at a certain height over the ground.  Here are a few of the ideal specifications I've come up with, but by no means is this set in stone, but merely suggested:

Giant Wasp:

Aggressive:  Yes

Tameable:  No

Can be Dominated:  Yes

Groomable:  No

Butchered:  ???

Breedable:  No

Rideable:  No

Swimmer:  No (with the exception that it should be able to hover over water like it does land)

Lair:  Hive (near trees)

Combat Level: Similar to a scorpion in strength, but with added parry statistic and speed due to it being airborne as well as a poisoned effect with their attacks.  Does stinging and poison damage.

Counter:  Archery

Giant Eagle:

Aggressive:  No

Tameable:  Yes

Can be Dominated:  Yes

Groomable:  Yes

Butchered: ???

Breedable:  Yes

Rideable:  No

Swimmer:  No (with the exception that it should be able to hover over water like it does land)

Lair:  Nests (near trees and cliffs)

Combat Level:  Similar to the strength of a wild boar, but with added parry statistic and speed due to it being airborne.  Does clawing, cutting and pecking damage.

Counter:  Archery

Overall these two creatures shouldn't be game breaking or terribly unbalanced.  Neither is excessively strong, but they also aren't easily struck by melee attacks.  This would require more skill in archery to combat such animals with less risk.  I didn't put anything down for butchering products as I figure I'd leave that up for others to comment on or make suggestions.  What do you all think?  Terrible ideas or interesting concepts?

• Like 1

change wasps by bees, and let them have the so awaited honey as butchering by product. realistic, no, but wogic...

+1 for a bit more variety

22 minutes ago, Odynn said:

change wasps by bees, and let them have the so awaited honey as butchering by product. realistic, no, but wogic...

+1 for a bit more variety

At first I was going to put bees instead of wasps, but wasps are more menacing in my opinion. lol

I will say, however, that honey could be used uniquely with a level of difficulty.  I was thinking honey from a bee could be used -in one way- as a lure to lure other creatures.  I feel like people would find a way to abuse that some how, but it would certainly be interesting.  For example, QL of honey affects the aggro it has on creatures within a certain tile radius.  You'd have to make it where the honey decays -which is unrealistic- but yeah.  Also, lets say a butchered bee, as it were, has a small chance to provide a very small amount of honey, while if you find a hive it produces much more honey upon destruction.  Just some thoughts.

Edited by Slickshot

I thought they were working on making the game fully 3D so Flying and jumping can be added

Just ask for eaglespirits and nogumps on freedom. That will be a new variety of creatures as well as it would make the templars useful for once since guards mean nothing to them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bangzuvelis said:

Just ask for eaglespirits and nogumps on freedom. That will be a new variety of creatures as well as it would make the templars useful for once since guards mean nothing to them.

Nah, I want something new.  Not something rehashed.  I like the idea of a bee/wasp or an eagle better. :D

An issue I see is this.

Scorpions and boars are pretty tough creatures for anyone without OK to reasonable FS and some reasonable armour.

Not an issue most of the time, but if archery is your only sensible option against them? A lot of people don't bother with archery and this would basically make this more of an essential (along with carrying bows and arrows) if you want to spend much time out and exploring. Yet another reason for many people to hole up on their deeds.

A potential way around this - Wasps and Eagles will only chase up to 20 tiles from their lair unless they've been hit in which case they might pursue for 30 seconds or something.

1 hour ago, Hordern said:

An issue I see is this.

Scorpions and boars are pretty tough creatures for anyone without OK to reasonable FS and some reasonable armour.

Not an issue most of the time, but if archery is your only sensible option against them? A lot of people don't bother with archery and this would basically make this more of an essential (along with carrying bows and arrows) if you want to spend much time out and exploring. Yet another reason for many people to hole up on their deeds.

A potential way around this - Wasps and Eagles will only chase up to 20 tiles from their lair unless they've been hit in which case they might pursue for 30 seconds or something.

The strength measures were simply a comparison, but not something that has to be such a way.  They could be tweaked lower, certainly.  As for a chase distance, sure, it doesn't need to be super high and that could help, however...I also tend to believe that not every freaking creature in Wurm needs to be squishy enough for a newb to destroy.  You know what newbs with low fighting skill do?  They avoid tougher critters until they are strong enough to kill them.  Same would go for the bee/wasp.  If you have 0 archery and can't kill it easily, then don't try.  Easy.  If you have high fighting and good gear, but 0 archery, hell with it, give it a go and you'll still probably kill it.  Increased parry rate does not equal impossible to hit, it only makes it harder to hit.  My suggestions feel balanced to me.

Also, notice that the Eagle has the higher combat rating, but is also passive so it will not auto aggro and kill newbs.  The only merit I'd give to lowering their rating would be to make the bee/wasp the same skill level as a huge spider or bear, but no less.  The Eagle would stay put as far as difficulty goes.  Just my thoughts.

Edited by Slickshot

+1 i want some

and...can we somehow get eagle eggs too for the birdcage....so do not have a frigging chicken in the birdcage 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

-1 use pheasent eggs...

-1  Pheasants are for losers.

20 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

make waspe rideable and tameable and ill +1...

Being able to ride a "flying" creature would be too hard to implement at this stage.  Easier to make them unable to be ridden.  As far as tameable goes, the reason it is untameable is because, technically, what would you feed a bee to tame it and how would you reach it if it's an aggressive animal that hovers in the air?   It just felt more logical to have it untameable, but instead have it where it can be dominated using a spell.  That just made more sense to me.

Edited by Slickshot

I would take a Pheasant over a chicken.

There is nothing exceptional to implement here imo, they already have flying creatures it is just a matter spec'ing, maybe skinning, and allowing them in freedom.   After re-reading the OP, were you aware of http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Eagle_Spirit

636px-Eaglespirit.jpg

As for wasps... drake spirit is pretty close http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Drake_spirit

Drakespirit.JPG

That drake spirit is nothing like a wasp. haha  Also, I mentioned in another comment that I don't want a rehash of other creatures that exist elsewhere.  I want new creatures.

I meant like a wasp in that is impossible physics at that size (leather or gossamer-like insect wings at that scale would be insane) and the eagle spirit is...well...it is an eagle like you suggested :P

1 hour ago, ClericGunem said:

I meant like a wasp in that is impossible physics at that size (leather or gossamer-like insect wings at that scale would be insane) and the eagle spirit is...well...it is an eagle like you suggested :P

Yeah but it's a spirit, not a true eagle. lol  I want an eagle, not a ghost.

+ 1 to eagle spirits and drake spirits on freedom.. hahah this will be fun. Gl getting thrown and killed many times over...

6 hours ago, Wulfgarr said:

+ 1 to eagle spirits and drake spirits on freedom.. hahah this will be fun. Gl getting thrown and killed many times over...

That's not what this thread is about though, so please don't hijack it. lol

The point i was making earlier is that they have the meshes and the mechanics already.  The eagle spirit is not an eagle, but reskin it and it will look like and eagle, inject a new template and name it "Eagle" and then we have an eagle.  The template will have its own stats it could be spec'd as a flying chicken for that matter, but it would "fly" as anything can in the current mechanics and attack like a bird sort of would.

The drake spirit I added there for same reason as the eagle and the posture is closer to a hypothetical hovering wasp and if i recall correctly it has a tail attack (i may be completely misremembering as 2 encounters during my short time in Epic ended with a quick trip through the red tunnel) which will be closer to a wasp attack than a beak attack.

So my entire point was that there is existing mechanics and meshes that could be leveraged to create the two proposed creatures, which is supportable position over "Add these two random creatures from scratch" I saw someone was reskinning horses in WU, the eagle is probably easy, the wasp will take some work on the mesh, the template for both is relatively easy but gluing the mechanics and such may take some shoehorning.  I would expect someone could add both in a WU instance in a few days so it would take maybe a month or so in WO assuring they did not have other things going on (not being facetious, more realistic with testing and validation).

Edited by ClericGunem

1 hour ago, ClericGunem said:

The point i was making earlier is that they have the meshes and the mechanics already.  The eagle spirit is not an eagle, but reskin it and it will look like and eagle, inject a new template and name it "Eagle" and then we have an eagle.  The template will have its own stats it could be spec'd as a flying chicken for that matter, but it would "fly" as anything can in the current mechanics and attack like a bird sort of would.

The drake spirit I added there for same reason as the eagle and the posture is closer to a hypothetical hovering wasp and if i recall correctly it has a tail attack (i may be completely misremembering as 2 encounters during my short time in Epic ended with a quick trip through the red tunnel) which will be closer to a wasp attack than a beak attack.

So my entire point was that there is existing mechanics and meshes that could be leveraged to create the two proposed creatures, which is supportable position over "Add these two random creatures from scratch" I saw someone was reskinning horses in WU, the eagle is probably easy, the wasp will take some work on the mesh, the template for both is relatively easy but gluing the mechanics and such may take some shoehorning.  I would expect someone could add both in a WU instance in a few days so it would take maybe a month or so in WO assuring they did not have other things going on (not being facetious, more realistic with testing and validation).

Sure yeah reskinning and changing up it's stats would be fine, I was just saying I don't want a direct emulation from the original. lol  The wasp, however, I feel they'd have to completely make from nothing.  But who knows, I'm not a developer.

-1 to "Flying creatures"  

the mechanic for it to hover like drakespirit is already in place, and why not be able to ride it while it hovers around, would just be like a faster version of a croc (meaning you can ride it thru the water and on land)