Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Allow easy removal of hedges, or let them decay

Right now, hedges allow us to essentially plant permanent fences that never decay. This seems a little inconsistent with how the rest of Wurm works, and is a total pain when clearing up formerly-deeded areas, since they are just as hard to destroy as other fence types.

So, I suggest one or both of the following:

1. Let hedges decay (probably rather slowly), and make them easy to repair by watering them like you do with flowerpots and similar objects.
  2. Allow hedges to be easily removed with a shovel or similar implement, in one action, assuming the player has permissions (of course).
  • Like 4

Maybe the code that lets them grow makes it difficult for them to also damage?

I like the idea of them growing out of control when left alone. Adds to the mystery of exploring an abandoned area. +1 to easier removal though; they shouldn't be harder to remove than a massive oak tree.

Hedges are a "fence", and not only that, but the only possible "fence" on steep slopes (except the mine entrances, but that's another story), they are not supposed to be easier to remove than any other fences, maybe their ql should be less random, based on sprouts ql and player's skills, if anything.

I could agree with a sort of slow decay, off deed, but not with an ability to remove them easily (other than bashing, they can be catapulted as well, and they count towards f2p limitations).

• Like 4

I really like that they don't decay - we use them for our perimeter overflow horse pen, for exactly that reason, to cut down on the amount of maintenance repairing.  I guess they could be a bit easier to destroy, but last time I had to do it, cutting them down to low (with a sickle) then bashing them was pretty quick.

• Like 2

-1  They're one of the few perks to being a fo priest, lets not nerf them any more.

• Like 1

-1. They are nice, they are no hindrance to entering (just cut them low and step over if so inclined), they can be catapulted away quite well, and taking them down by hand isn't any harder then any other fence either (as it should be). Only thing that would be good to see a change on, is the rather insane damage bashing them does on the used tool. Take that damage down to the same damage happening when bashing a stone fence and all is well.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pandalet said:

I really like that they don't decay - we use them for our perimeter overflow horse pen, for exactly that reason, to cut down on the amount of maintenance repairing.  I guess they could be a bit easier to destroy, but last time I had to do it, cutting them down to low (with a sickle) then bashing them was pretty quick.

In my experience, bashing hedges causes more damage to the bashing implement than bashing a stone fence does, which is weird.

I understand that it can be nice to have hedges off-deed that last, but I think Wurm needs off-deed things to "revert to nature" more often, as it were, not less often. This happens with all other fences already.

Hedges can be pruned easily, but why not let them be removed easily for the sake of terraforming? Sure, other players could remove your off-deed hedges more easily, but they can prune them down anyway. Having to catapult away what is essentially a fence that's been sitting off-deed for a year seems a bit much.

I guess I'm just not sure of the downside of easy removal, possibly with the same Premium/body strength restrictions as normal bashing does.

-1 trim and then bash (its pretty fast if you do)

Edited by Sixiron

it's one of the usual troubles with wurm, buildings once the owner left decay rather fast, fences follow more or less and dissapear after months / years of decay. But in some places you have years old hedges still here.

+1 for decay off deed / perimeter(if needed). And add a watering option to repair them, improve the QL by trimming them. Hedges are living things afterall, they need care and should be able to whither away without some.

On 22/01/2016 at 4:31 PM, Pandalet said:

I think your hedge needs to be on deed for animals in order to protect them with permissions.

Otherwise, people can just trim it down and steal.

I like that hedges the way they are.

Well hedges are natural, growing things , so I'm just thankful that hedges don't propagate over time and spread over an area :P

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 0:26 PM, Kianga said:

-1. They are nice, they are no hindrance to entering (just cut them low and step over if so inclined), they can be catapulted away quite well, and taking them down by hand isn't any harder then any other fence either (as it should be). Only thing that would be good to see a change on, is the rather insane damage bashing them does on the used tool. Take that damage down to the same damage happening when bashing a stone fence and all is well.

Exactly my thoughts as well! Which I have stated before on this issue. The worst thing about them is the insane damage they do to the tool used (huge axe is best) even on deed. Hey, I even repeated you here too!

Maybe make them a bit easier to bash down off deed but if too easy then those who simply don't like the look of them will be removing them everywhere. They serve a useful purpose around deed perimeters to keep the aggro's out of areas with their living growth that eliminates decay, so would not like to see this changed to the usual "punish the creator" syndrome.

=Ayes=

Hrm, I understand the argument against decay, but is there any reason not to allow easy removal with a shovel or other tool?

14 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Hrm, I understand the argument against decay, but is there any reason not to allow easy removal with a shovel or other tool?

They are "fences", they are "not" supposed to be removed easier than any other fence, and they ARE easy to remove once pruned to lowest level, and bashed. Removing a fence is tied to premium+21 body strenght+time consuming. For a reason.

A hedge on deed goes poof in one, max 2 hits; an offdeed hedge goes poof much easier than a corresponding stone/wooden fence of same quality (just try bashing a 70 ql hedge and a 70 ql stone/wooden fence ...). Anyone with 21 body strenght and a weapon can get rid of them easily. If you cannot afford a weapon, ask a troll to donate a club.

To quote a few other people here, "I like hedges the way they are".

So again, -1.

And another -1 for the next time.

1 hour ago, Evening said:

They are "fences", they are "not" supposed to be removed easier than any other fence, and they ARE easy to remove once pruned to lowest level, and bashed. Removing a fence is tied to premium+21 body strenght+time consuming. For a reason.

A hedge on deed goes poof in one, max 2 hits; an offdeed hedge goes poof much easier than a corresponding stone/wooden fence of same quality (just try bashing a 70 ql hedge and a 70 ql stone/wooden fence ...). Anyone with 21 body strenght and a weapon can get rid of them easily. If you cannot afford a weapon, ask a troll to donate a club.

To quote a few other people here, "I like hedges the way they are".

So again, -1.

And another -1 for the next time.

I don't know why you're coming off as so hostile. Anyway, some counterpoints:

1. I already mentioned that still requiring 21 body strength (or at least premium) is reasonable, so I'm not sure why you'd bring that up again.
  2. Bashing hedges is more time-consuming and troublesome than you're giving it credit for, at least off-deed. They do crazy amounts of damage to weapons (compared even to a stone fence), and I've tried bashing pruned hedges with a troll club before, and it does take quite a bit of time... especially since hedge QL can often be a lot higher than what most people would build a fence at, and won't be pre-damaged at all by decay. Catapulting, as usual, is a pain to set up and can be somewhat imprecise, and is time-consuming in its own way.
  3. Hedges and other fences aren't really equivalent in terms of functionality and behavior, at least off-deed, so pretending otherwise is kind of disingenuous. Off-deed fences are subject to decay, and hedges are not, giving more reason for some way to more easily remove ones that have been there for a long time. Also, off-deed hedges don't provide the same player-blocking as fences do, since anyone can prune them, so being able to easily remove them is not nearly as abuse-prone as allowing other fences to be removed quickly. So, the reasons for fence-bashing to be so time-consuming don't even really apply to hedges anyway, for the most part.

Explaining my point of view - incidentally, different from yours - isn't "hostile"; if you do not want to hear different opinions, maybe you shouldn't make your opinions public and subject of debating.

Other than that, I already said what I think about this suggestion, repeating myself would be a waste of time, and also already gave an extra -1 just in case I would have had to post something more.

Have a great wurming time.

Not quite sure how I feel about this.  Hedges aren't crazy hard to remove, but do take multiple stages of removal...hmmm...

15 minutes ago, Evening said:

Explaining my point of view - incidentally, different from yours - isn't "hostile"; if you do not want to hear different opinions, maybe you shouldn't make your opinions public and subject of debating.

Other than that, I already said what I think about this suggestion, repeating myself would be a waste of time, and also already gave an extra -1 just in case I would have had to post something more.

Have a great wurming time.

I have no problem with people explaining their points of view, but your tone came off as unnecessarily hostile and frustrated.. If you intended otherwise, I apologize for misinterpreting you.