Sign in to follow this  
Warlander

Invasion events - large feature concept/idea

not to mention the MASSIVE 500x500 dirt flatzone left behind when the huge troll champ instance disbands....

this would affect mountains if it accientally carved into the side of one, as well as waterways if it landed on top of an access canal and sealed it off.... just a massive hassle

Edited by Evilreaper

there is so many things that would be messed up from these large events suddenly appearing... .what if it appeared on top of the ONLY tar pit in your region? it would have to convert it to dirt to spawn the buildings for the village.... or your usual clay spot.... its just going to cause a huge hassle in the long run... sure it might not spawn on top of the tar pit on the first try, but what happens in a year when it does? that tar spot is gone forevers

• Like 1

I love this idea, I was hoping more for a spawned area rather than a portal, perhaps a set area away from any deed or building or paved roads, exploring wurm is fun it would be nice to find these. Perhaps a height limit so they don't spawn on top of mountains no-one can access or perhaps they can spawn within a certain range of a deeded location.

as i said above, find an item on the ground... similar to a valrei item used in missions.  go get your friends... you have to hurry because it will decay quickly.  you and your friends activate it and 10 or so tough monsters spawn in a 5x5 tile area...  maybe have a timer.  if all creatures are killed in x amount of time, a bit of loot is dropped in a chest.  no need for a portal, no permanent impact on surroundings.

this would just encourage people who like a bit of excitement, to go out and search in small groups.  make the loot interesting with the rare possibility of finding something really good.

i like to hunt.... this would add a new dimension to hunting.

get something like this established and working well and then do progressively more complex random 'events'

On 21/01/2016 at 7:59 PM, Warlander said:

goblin and trolls variants

Interesting, will we ever see these wandering around in the wild, waylaying passersby with a cry of "yer money or yer life!"?

Troll - Your average 'family man' troll. Out hunting (or fishing) because the wife is reminding him that the shelf he put up in the cave six months ago is still wonky. Has a few deer too many showing around his waist, and is armed with his trusty club and what his dad taught him.

Veteran Troll - Has had a few run-ins with humans before. Leaner and fitter from his travels, has some basic armour and knows a few things about fighting.

War Troll - Has seen combat on the battlefield and the scars to show for it. He`s been working out so much stronger and fitter than the others, has metal armour pieces, better weapons and well versed in how to use them.

The MMO 'Defiance' uses a 'threat level' for it`s instances (they`re mostly some sort of phasing, where players can be in the same area, doing the same thing, but not interact with each other) which rises as more/higher levelled players arrive. The higher the threat, the nastier the mobs that spawn in, and the better the rewards.

So that could allow players the option of diving straight into the rift for some low level loot, or gathering others for the chance of something better.

How will the rifts appear ingame? Rather than a wibbly wobbly thing floating above the ground, a rift could appear as something like the spawners. A rocky or desert area could have a tomb-like entrance, or forest surroundings could have a pile of branches (for a den) or a little hut (for a goblin village). These would also give clues about what to expect to find within.

21 hours ago, newman330 said:

as i said above, find an item on the ground... similar to a valrei item used in missions.  go get your friends... you have to hurry because it will decay quickly.  you and your friends activate it and 10 or so tough monsters spawn in a 5x5 tile area...  maybe have a timer.  if all creatures are killed in x amount of time, a bit of loot is dropped in a chest.  no need for a portal, no permanent impact on surroundings.

this would just encourage people who like a bit of excitement, to go out and search in small groups.  make the loot interesting with the rare possibility of finding something really good.

i like to hunt.... this would add a new dimension to hunting.

get something like this established and working well and then do progressively more complex random 'events'

works great for the small events, but TERRIBLE idea for the 500x500 village invasion event where you have to destroy walls invade the goblin village and murder the goblin defenders and goblin king... especially if you dropped it just outside your deed and it destroyed all buildings, instantly terraforms the land to 500x500 flat then spawns all the walls / buildings / mobs inside the 500x500 area

Edited by Evilreaper

8 hours ago, Evilreaper said:

instantly terraforms the land to 500x500 flat

I see this nonsense on a stick being repeated over and over as an argument, but it was never mentioned by anybody else before.

+100 I do like the idea of this rift thingy. :wub:

How it is eventually achieved (instance or not i will leave to the game designers), but i would like to add some comments and ideas.

-100 to the player owned point made earlier. The reason for that should be quite obvious.

- easy and medium level rifts have a server wide message when they spawn, hard level rifts have a global message.

- when the rift is found and a player enters (the rift is open), a marker appears on the in-game map.

- when a rift is open but nobody has started completing the quests inside, a selected number of these special mobs could be leaving the rift and start moving around the immediate area, making it some kind of invasion.

- the personal portal is good, it could be easy to make with readily available materials, is one-time only use, and one would have to make it on the server on which it is to be used. Once the rift closes or one leaves through the rift portal, one is teleported back to the point where one was when using the personal portal.

- the rewards could be distributed according to each players participation % in completing the rift, if you are an alt and stand inside doing nothing, you get nothing. I'd like to see moon metals being included here for freedomers that generally don't have easy access to those.

- a special weapon and armor spell could be added, increasing existing AOSP and nimbleness casts ONLY inside the rift, outside they work as they are now. 

I am looking forward to this becoming a feature.

7 minutes ago, QueenRocks said:

+100 I do like the idea of this rift thingy. :wub:

How it is eventually achieved (instance or not i will leave to the game designers), but i would like to add some comments and ideas.

-100 to the player owned point made earlier. The reason for that should be quite obvious.

- easy and medium level rifts have a server wide message when they spawn, hard level rifts have a global message.

- when the rift is found and a player enters (the rift is open), a marker appears on the in-game map.

- when a rift is open but nobody has started completing the quests inside, a selected number of these special mobs could be leaving the rift and start moving around the immediate area, making it some kind of invasion.

- the personal portal is good, it could be easy to make with readily available materials, is one-time only use, and one would have to make it on the server on which it is to be used. Once the rift closes or one leaves through the rift portal, one is teleported back to the point where one was when using the personal portal.

- the rewards could be distributed according to each players participation % in completing the rift, if you are an alt and stand inside doing nothing, you get nothing. I'd like to see moon metals being included here for freedomers that generally don't have easy access to those.

- a special weapon and armor spell could be added, increasing existing AOSP and nimbleness casts ONLY inside the rift, outside they work as they are now. 

I am looking forward to this becoming a feature.

You basically just listed all the features of rifts from the mmo Rift. lol

In this idea easy rifts are meant to be common and many of them can exist on server at the same time, so... Server-wide message is not really good idea. :)

Sorry Slick, I never played that game ;)

Which ever way you let us know that they have spawned is perfect, as long as we get to know :)

+1

I think this is a good idea for a number of reasons.

1. Randomized entrances of limited duration prevents monopolization.

2. Since maps are not part of the greater world and can't be harvested they can be freely mutilated to fit a theme without long term worries.
3. Test beds. New mechanics can be tested without concern for corrupting existing servers or mass exploits. Just back up character data when we enter please, in case of disaster.

4. Give new/reluctant players a taste of rarer mechanics in a controlled fashion, such as having a Valari monster as the final boss of a rift. Before this April Fools event I had no idea what these epic creatures even looked like, and had no urge to find out because it was in PvP land. But not everyone is me, so showing people that there might be something worth the danger in Epic/Chaos could be just what's needed to get them to try it out.

+1, nice idea.

For the record, I fully support trying to make invasions work in the wurm world, directly. However I'm not optimistic that our playerbase is willing enough to take the chance. So I'm fine with instanced.

Small rifts don't need special announcement indeed (maybe only in local? or not). Sieges announced AND their location marked in some clear way +1.

Re: no fighting/weapon skill (or any skill) as the player moves along, but, you say, give at the end more to who killed more mobs. I'm not sure about this. What if someone stays at the start, mobs keep respawning, they keep killing them, then the party comes in and kills last champ. At the end, the player at the entrance gets a lot of 'rewards'/skill, with your proposal, because they contributed 'more'. So why not just giving them the skill as they fight? Maybe I'm missing something.

(maybe tone down the skill gain for instanced mobs, but after 70 fs it's down anyway)