Sign in to follow this  
Taurus

Hire NPCs, NPC Soldiers

Is it possible to make it so, that there are NPCs that can be hired and equiped like the tower guards and that they follow you as a group or army and you can attack another group of NPC soldiers with them?

It would help quite some with low player numbers in general, if someone could build up a group or army of NPCs that help with sieges (well I doubt they will use the siege weapons? but helping to kill the other NPCs and feel more epic in general ^^). Or make it possible to guard your settlement and stuff like that... like spirit templars, but you have to equip them and such.

The mechnism of getting such a NPC soldier could be like... you have to pay food and textiles and such for one of them... to simulate them being born and raised till you get them into your army, then you have to train them and equip them. Training them could play also a role, does a Java Wizard think it would be possible to let those soldiers start with skills in the 20s and then maybe craft scrolls or something to so to say raise those skills of that NPC, scroll is used in the process. Or what would be even cooler... people have to build training equipment (like the training doll for the player, but for the NPC) that they can use to raise their skills ^^

I dont know if anything like that is even remote possible... but how cool would that be? ^^

Personally I would really like to have something like that... so if anyone might be able to do this.... big love... ^^

An expansion of the taming system would be better IMO and more in line with the idea behind Wurm...everything made by the player.

Long ago, we used to have more viable combat pets, they were nerfed though :(

At least having the option to buff pets/tamed creatures and adding the ability to have more than one at once (maybe say, 1 per 10 levels in taming), you could breed and control a small army of mountain lions, bears, crocodiles etc.

You could equip them with modified horse gear, such as barding and 'horse'-shoes etc.

It wouldn't be balanced for larger servers or WO, however on small WU servers it would be fun.

Yes, but its not about a taming system... its about what the title says.

Sry if that sounds rude, but what I did request or ask for is something different than your idea.

Why dont you open up another topic about the taming system, please... as its 2 totally different things.

Also saying "An expansion of the taming system would be better IMO and more in line with the idea behind Wurm...everything made by the player" shows that you did not understand anything about what I did write (at least it seems like that).

The NPC Soldiers as such WOULD be fully player made as you have to buy or get them somehow and then train and equip them... thats not so much different than having a tamed pet, its just more complex and they resemble human beings. That system can go hand in hand with any animal taming system in my oppinion.

And also about "An expansion of the taming system would be better IMO and more in line with the idea behind Wurm"... yes thats your oppinion... thats why its requested as a mod for WURM UNLIMITED exclusive and so anybody could install it OR NOT... you are not pushed to play with it. Sry to be so direct, but sometimes some people from the Wurm community get on my nerves... someone says something and there are those that always hold Wurm back with "But thats not how Wurm should be"... honestly thats the reason I play on an own server in unlimited, because mods open a whole new door. So the conservative people can play their Wurm Online and people that would like more fleshed out systems and a more complex experience can have mods in unlimited.

1 hour ago, Taurus said:

Is it possible to make it so, that there are NPCs that can be hired and equiped like the tower guards and that they follow you as a group or army and you can attack another group of NPC soldiers with them?

The mechnism of getting such a NPC soldier could be like... you have to pay food and textiles and such for one of them... to simulate them being born and raised till you get them into your army, then you have to train them and equip them. Training them could play also a role,

So instead of breeding animals, you're breeding humans to train, equip and fight for you. My suggestion works almost exactly the same as yours, only with a different skin on it and slightly different terminology.

1 hour ago, Taurus said:

I dont know if anything like that is even remote possible... but how cool would that be? ^^

Personally I would really like to have something like that... so if anyone might be able to do this.... big love... ^^

My reason for altering your idea was to turn it into something that is already in-game that a developer/modder could easily expand upon and have added in-game pretty quickly, without the need to add a whole bunch of new systems. This idea could literally be up and running by next week if someone with the know how decided to do it.

Edited by Outlaw

10 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

So instead of breeding animals, you're breeding humans to train, equip and fight for you. My suggestion works almost exactly the same as yours, only with a different skin on it and slightly different terminology.

My reason for altering your idea was to turn it into something that is already in-game that a developer/modder could easily expand upon and have added in-game pretty quickly, without the need to add a whole bunch of new systems. This idea could literally be up and running by next week if someone with the know how decided to do it.

You dont like the idea... thats really fine... but then step out of this topic, please... and put up your own idea as a request. Thats really just what I am humbly asking for... it would be really polite, as I also dont hijack other peoples "wurm unlimited modding request idea" Thread to field my propaghanda there.

It does not matter for me if its different or which is better... I have my idea, you have yours... thats totally fine, but please stop hijacking this to propagate your idea of how it should be.

This is not meant as discussion topic about how it should be or anything... its a topic where I asked if its possible for my idea to work someday, and that question was going out to actual java modders and not people that wanna propagate their own oppinion and own ideas, as THIS CAN BE DONE IN THEIR OWN REQUEST THREADS.

This would be possible, I know someone was working on something similar. I would offer to look into it but I need to finish some other mods. 

I would pm you, but the info you might be supplying might be also interesting for other people, so here it goes:

You did write, there WAS someone working on something similiar. Is there something written about it somewhere? Can you provide a link maybe?

Is the person still working on it, or is it abandoned?

Poor Webba... I am already using some of your work and enjoy it a lot... I will soon get your carpentry skill multiplier so I can build bigger houses (or in my case a real castle wall) ^^

Don't put any haste into anything... as far as I did see you produce quality and thats much more important than rushed efforts that crash and burn.

Thank you for all your work you did put into WU modding and thanks for all the information provided ^^