Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #2 Short 'n' Sweet

Yaass for First Person Mode! If we'll able to have this, then maybe we can have a combat system like Mount and Blade in the future. ^_^

yay bridge change

yay George costanza on a wurm lounge

Yay - if longer bridges can be lowered, this will be one very happy bear!

We do currently have mouselook, which has just that, the abilkity to look around with the mouse.

This feature will still allow highlighting, and other various actions. Context sensitive actions will be coming with this mode too, so at the moment it might not be too much, but will become a whole new way to play wurm. The ability to disable first person mode upon opening inventory is optional, as is the ability to disable during combat (so you can perform moves and such)

It will be completely optional

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

We do currently have mouselook, which has just that, the abilkity to look around with the mouse.

This feature will still allow highlighting, and other various actions. Context sensitive actions will be coming with this mode too, so at the moment it might not be too much, but will become a whole new way to play wurm. The ability to disable first person mode upon opening inventory is optional, as is the ability to disable during combat (so you can perform moves and such)

Using this new mode at all will be optional, right? I just want to clarify, because as someone who suffers from motion sickness in games, I don't *ever* want to have it turned on at all.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mayrin said:

Using this new mode at all will be optional, right? I just want to clarify, because as someone who suffers from motion sickness in games, I don't *ever* want to have it turned on at all.

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LorenaMontana said:

Good ###### on the orange text in screen instead of in event

Somehow a certain group of people is still going to miss GM directives....

• Like 1

The ability to switch between 1st and 3rd person view would be fun.

Edited by Galatyn

At first, I thought this "First Person Mode" could have been a way to look around with your head independent from the direction you were walking, as when mounted except with a limited range of motion (even though you can do 360o while riding). I use GLANCE_LEFT/RIGHT commands from time to time, but I could really benefit from a mouse-controlled direction of view without turning your body.

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

We're looking at adding default context sensitive actions to this feature too, meaning  chopping a tree is as simple as left clicking a tree tile with a hatchet activated! While we're looking at actions we can add, we do not have a deadline as to when they will be ingame, so watch this space!

• Xanadu has almost 16000 named horses.
  • Independence has over three and a half thousand tower guards

Oh my Standard action, I've only been beating that drum for at least 2 years. I might not have to do this in WU after all.

16k horses? It wasn't unusual for me to have 16 or so horses to make sure I could maintain a breeding cycle and have replacements. I still don't like how the breeding system encourages you to hoard more creatures in order to overcome its limitations. 

That is a lot of tower guards. I wonder what kind of performance boost could be gained by making guards spawn and come out of the tower when called. Once a time has passed or the target mob dies they would return to the tower and despawn. Perhaps enough of a boost that Wurm could buff the guards speed and pathing AI so they work better on PvE?

15 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The unstable client now has a special First Person Mode, currently consisting of allowing you to look around with the mouse without left clicking, that turns off when opening windows such as your inventory or containers.

OK, so I have the unstable client, version 3.99o-7713, and I see some options in the options - mouse sensitivity and three disable buttons (none of which are ticked) - but the only way I can look around is with left clicking the mouse.

So, is this really in the game with the current unstable client, and if so how the heck does it work????

And if it is just that the glance left and right keybinds have been added, why not say that - mentioning the mouse implies something else entirely.

Edited by Wulfmaer

firstpersonmode in the keybindings, also available via
"BIND key "toggle firstpersonmode"

that or firstperson, i forget, it shows in the list of toggle options though!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

that or firstperson, i forget, it shows in the list of toggle options though!

Reduction to right-clicky, menu, left-clicky is nice in any case. Some funny things can happen when actions and movement are on the same keys but nothing you can't learn to overcome. Landmark Beta... LOL Instead of running, you swing your pick like a crazy person if you aren't careful. GamePad next? 

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Ah, thanks - just spotted it on the option - didn't scroll down earlier.

Can't say that it's something I will ever use, just tried it and hate it. It would make vastly more useful if when running it just moved your head, so you could look at something rather than changing the direction you are running like some crazy thing.

hahahahahahah.... the second artwork is funny! maybe he wanted to be not forgotten in wurm?  :D

1st person mode what? Since I play this game it has always been 1st person right? Me no understand at all

So GM directives and such showing up on screen will linger for what, 15 - 30 seconds?

Edited by Slickshot

20 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Elevation has more hens than any other server bar Xanadu

That explains why the spawns suck... along with almost every condition spawner being a rat lion or wildcat spawn...

That's pretty much why this information is being looked at Gary, to help with figuring out what's going on with spawns. :) 

4 hours ago, LorenaMontana said:

1st person mode what? Since I play this game it has always been 1st person right? Me no understand at all

The way I understand it, Lorena, is that you can mouse look and do actions by interacting directly with the environment. Like click a tree to chop it down? I will have to try it out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Audrel said:

The way I understand it, Lorena, is that you can mouse look and do actions by interacting directly with the environment. Like click a tree to chop it down? I will have to try it out.

Keep in mind that it's still in development. Keep an eye out here for updates and features added to it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Keep in mind that it's still in development. Keep an eye out here for updates and features added to it!

Very much a big move in the classic MMO direction.

Only option I see is to give hens the same fight skills as champ no gumps.

Glad to see Costanza made it back. I was there when he was deleted from the screenshots thread (well what game are you playing?). I WAS THERE

On 1/15/2016 at 11:37 AM, Retrograde said:

Wurm bridges are falling down!... Sorta.

After a few threads questioning the height  requirements for bridges, I inquired into these limits and potential changes. The reason for these limits are mostly to do with making sure that the support models look right, so, naturally, we've tried removing them. The test server has bridge requirement heights on arches removed, so please jump on and make sure they work properly, if all goes well, we can get the limit removed ingame!

Anything on flat ones? The reason for my thread was an arched bridge could not be used. It was too steep. The slope was 18 on a flat bridge and a bridge cannot exceed 20, apparently even arched ones. A player can walk on 24 and a mount can go to 40. This is a great start but it still leaves a big gap where you either need to make bugged towers for supports, large piles of dirt without walls to match or even be the same height as bridge rails (not to mention the dirt sliding at 40 slope making tons of extra cleanup on the surrounding tiles, which can be many if you have to pile enough), or you need to dig down and grade areas above the top end of the bridge to extreme lengths making it almost more feasible to just make a dirt ramp instead of a bridge anyway if you have to remove more from the top than the dirt piled on the bottom to get to the 80 height on flat bridges on low-lying deeds. 

I appreciate that the heights of the arched bridges are being examined but if the whole deal is because of a graphic, there are plenty of other uglier things than a stubby support - like nothing matches the bridges if you use towers or dirt to accommodate the graphics of the support. No wall textures on structures match bridge textures, no fences match any bridge rails or are even the same height, no pavement matches the bridge roadway...  so to say making the support look right is, and I'm sorry if this sounds rude, laughable.