Sign in to follow this  
Crustyfoot

Pegs in place of nails for small carts please

I am  interested in the possibility of making small carts using pegs in place of nails.

I think this would be useful for the new character to be able to have a small cart to use before they can find their first iron vein.

An alternative recipe for building small carts.

I"d like to see dowel jointing scheme that completely substitutes all small and large nail use. The idea here is to further the possibility of not using metal at all.

What item could we substitute for iron ribbons?

Locks are troublesome. I can't figure out a non-magic way to make a locking mechanism without metal.

A simple addition of pegs instead of nails for just the small cart is very easy to do. Look at the example Ago made for the hitching post: 

https://github.com/ago1024/WurmServerModLauncher/blob/master/src/demo/hitchingpost/org/gotti/wurmunlimited/mods/hitchingpost/HitchingPostMod.java

Its just a matter of using server modlauncher's onServerStarted tool and adding a new AdvancedCreationEntry instance. You could copy the current small cart in CreationEntryCreator.class, paste it into the new item creation bit and change the entry for adding small nails to pegs.

1 hour ago, joedobo said:

I"d like to see dowel jointing scheme that completely substitutes all small and large nail use. The idea here is to further the possibility of not using metal at all.

What item could we substitute for iron ribbons?

Locks are troublesome. I can't figure out a non-magic way to make a locking mechanism without metal.

A simple addition of pegs instead of nails for just the small cart is very easy to do. Look at the example Ago made for the hitching post: 

https://github.com/ago1024/WurmServerModLauncher/blob/master/src/demo/hitchingpost/org/gotti/wurmunlimited/mods/hitchingpost/HitchingPostMod.java

Its just a matter of using server modlauncher's onServerStarted tool and adding a new AdvancedCreationEntry instance. You could copy the current small cart in CreationEntryCreator.class, paste it into the new item creation bit and change the entry for adding small nails to pegs.

Well, ribbons are basically used as support of arranging boards in a circle like making a curve for a lid of a chest or to make a barrel round right? So vines or rope hoops maybe?

Pegs would make a nice alternative to nails for some things. Vines (woven reeds) in place of rope for low level stuff and ribbons could be replaced by wooden hoops too. What about using animal fat for something else like glue that could be used to glue parts together instead of using ribbons? Mix animal fat with ground hoofs maybe to make glue? This would require a primitive mortar and pestle (made of stone + pickaxe) of course to grind the hooves to begin with.

I'd like to also see a basic boat that doesn't need metal to make, (rowboat requires large nails for the rope tool to make the mooring rope). Maybe have vines as an alternative to ropes for low level stuff like the rowboat, possibly even the raft could be made with vines instead of nails, tie the logs together.

Maybe even introduce a dugout: A tree trunk made into a dugout canoe and a log turned into a paddle with the use of the hatchet alone for a first boat. It would allow new players to make a boat for moving around the islands and gathering basic resources without having to first search high and low for iron. A dugout has no lock but it's easy to make with low skills and therefore, it's relatively pointless to steal one rather than make one yourself. In addition, to make the rowboat a better option later on, you stop paddling the dugout when your stamina runs out so you have to stop to recover your stamina every so often. However, the benefits of a dugout is that you can carry it on your head across land but it means you move quite slowly due to the weight. That makes a dugout quite handy at higher levels too.

As far as locks go, you can make a crude wooden lock.

Edited by tryst49

I wish the creation system used generalized parts instead of specific items. For example instead of wood planks and small metal nails a small barrel would use small jointing fixtures and planks (rectangular and flat shaped materials, not to be confused with wurm's treatment of this word.)

Hypothetically a small barrel could be made from ceramic planks and small bone dowels.

Sadly, this would take a significant rewrite of the Wurm's crafting system...eh, kinda fun to daydream about what could be sometimes.

Seriously why a rewrite?

Add ceramic planks as a material, made from clay in the kiln the same way as pottery and add bones as a drop from animals. Craft bones into dowels using the carving knife. Put the two crafted items together and you have a ceramic barrel.

How would this constitute a rewrite?

It is possible to add specific new entries for every possible combination of materials.  It would result in a large growth in CreationEntry objects. I don't know what the effect would be.

for example using the small barrel:

plank: wood, steel, ceramic, iron, gold, silver, bronze, brass, copper, magical, bones, chitin/caprice, stone...maybe others. You'd have the same number of materials for the joining small fasteners. If we just take the case where you must use all of one type of plank and one type of fastener but the plank and fastener don't have to be the same material  that is 169 entries ( The 13 materials I listed above, squared).

The barrels would likely need unique new item identity numbers so we can more easily add unique graphics and properties. There is a lot of room available for new items. I don't know the effect of significantly growing the item count.

basicly...

A generalized item scheme with parts constructed from different material which define the finished item  versus a large and numerous list of specific items constructed from specific materials to account for all the crafting combinations.

Edited by joedobo

This would be the best thing ever. I recently started a village near the coast with a friend and we haven't found any iron yet.

On 15.1.2016 at 7:56 PM, joedobo said:

Is there like a tutorial for this stuff? It seems simple enough to change some lines but what do you do afterwards?

There isn't a tutorial as far as I know.

Does anyone know of an easy way to compile a jar from java code written in say notepad. I ask because adding creation options using existent items follows a simple template.

1. Start with the basic Modlauncher boiler-plate code: path, imports, class declare with a few implements, "@Override public void onServerStarted() { YOUR CREATION ENTRY CODE GOES HERE }", "@Override public void init() {}"
  2. Use a few classes in WU's server.jar as references to fill out creation entry function: server.items.CreationEntryCreator.class as a references for the function, server.items.ItemList.class to get the number references for items, server.skills.SkillList.class to get skill number references, 
  3. The item referred to as "aObjectSource" determines creation difficulty and success. The item referred to as "aObjectTarget" acts as the creation quality cap and determines the final product material type.
  4. For simple creation entries we don't need new item id's(assuming you're making a substitute to an extent item. Totally new simples need new item ID's). For advanced creation we would need a new item id. This does complicate things some but it's not that much dIfferent than what's going on with creation entry...a boiler-plate format of code with identifying values..

Heck it almost look like this could be typed into a text file as something close to plain english...

newCreation(ItemList.cartLarge).source(ItemList.plank).target(itemList.wheelAxleSmall).isDestoryboth().isCreationOnGround().category("CARTS")

.additionalMaterial(ItemList.plank, 15).additionalMaterial(ItemList.shaft, 2).additionalMaterial(ItemList.pegWood, 4)

.additionalMaterial(ItemList.yoke, 1)

I wonder what is an efficient way to move this kind of information from a text file into a mod?

Anyway, here is an example of adding a new substitute item (which is what a small cart made with pegs would be). I generated a new item id and added a new advanced creation entry.

Take note that adding items to advanced creation entry is a little more involved. You would need to do either find the large cart entry in CreationMatrix.class's advancedEntries map field and change it (Reflection). You could also use Modlauncher's ItemTemplateBuilder  tool to generate a new itemID for the modified large cart. I'd use the latter if at all possible.

https://github.com/Joedobo27/wurminianpacifistmod/blob/master/src/com/Joedobo27/WUmod/WurminianPacifistMod.java

In that mod under...

"@Override
    public void onServerStarted() {
        if (craftCottonBed) {

"

And under...

"

@Override
    public void onItemTemplatesCreated() {

if (craftCottonBed) {
            ItemTemplateBuilder

"

is an example where I add a new bed entry that is crafted with extra square cloths plus cotton and without fur.

Edited by joedobo