Sign in to follow this  
LilyPhoenix

Reactivate ability for keys to be sacrificed in altars!

As above. It was really convenient and useful to be able to do this, to work out what keys you still had a use for out of a pile, by sacrificing them in an altar. Useful little schtick would appear of 'this key has an important use' and that meant you didn't carry around a huge pile of keys that you don't even know who when can what.

Please revert this change!

So what you're really asking for is the ability to be prevented from sacrificing keys again?

-1 I love saccing keys and if you have everything setup correctly with the permissions system, you really don't need them. Heck once you are the owner of the locked object you can do whatever you want to it. 

I would much prefer they could just be melted away in a forge. This way any Joe or Jane Schmo could easily get rid of them. Yea, sacc them too, for those that follow the Wurm heathen goddies.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

All sacrificing keys did before was work out what keys still had a lock, so I'm not entirely sure how useful this would be. Sorting out exactly what key fit what lock was still a pain. The fact that keys were to be removed entirely should say something. They were retained for flexibility only.

When attaching a lock, it warns you if you do not hold all of the keys to that lock. This is a better warning than knowing that a key still has a matching lock. :)

Perhaps a two-step system is possible when sacrificing. It takes all keys without lock immediately, then pops up a message 'are you sure you want to sacrifice the remaining keys? These still have a lock they belong to' - then click yes to see those disappear also, or alternatively take those out of the altar if you want to keep those around.

• Like 1

When a lock is sacrificed, the key vanishes from anywhere. The fact that you have a key means that the lock still exists, although it may be laying on the ground where the fence rotted, so that doesn't provide the answer you're looking for. 

We need a way to identify which keys belong to unattached locks. 

-1 I like to get rid of the keys because we don't need them anymore.  I don't want the 150 keys for the gates on our deed laying around or stashed on some alt..  then all the carts, boats...

Kianga, that would be pretty perfect too. Finding out what keys still have uses and what don't would be really nice. Currently it's just a 'throw everything down the sink and hope for the best' sort of situation.

On 15-1-2016 at 11:47 PM, Meldichoir said:

When a lock is sacrificed, the key vanishes from anywhere. The fact that you have a key means that the lock still exists, although it may be laying on the ground where the fence rotted, so that doesn't provide the answer you're looking for. 

We need a way to identify which keys belong to unattached locks. 

Before we could sacrifice keys-in-use, I've experienced quite a few times that I could sacrifice a key to a gate as soon as that gate had fallen. So as far as I have seen, locks vanish along with gates vanishing, they don't fall on the ground and stay around (never found one laying on the ground where a gate was before either). So a two-step sacrifice should indeed be well possible as far as I can see.

Edited by Kianga
  • Like 2

All for sacking keys as long as the corresponding locks no longer exist.

12 hours ago, Kianga said:

Before we could sacrifice keys-in-use, I've experienced quite a few times that I could sacrifice a key to a gate as soon as that gate had fallen.

Based on this, you must be correct. I also feel that we would be finding many more fallen locks, and that the ones we do find are simply discarded.

12 hours ago, Kianga said:

(never found one laying on the ground where a gate was before either)

There were times when I found locks after old fences had rotted away. Now when I think back, it was more likely that those were dropped after someone changed locks (maybe right in front of the gate). Finding several individual gate locks scattered about a plot of flat ground, reclaimed by trees, gave me the impression these were the locations of old gates.