Sign in to follow this  
Wilczan

Increase draw range for objects

Hello

I would like to see increased draw range for walls, trees etc. Noticed that tall kingdom banners has long draw range. Would be nice if other models had the same range.

Also for grass/steppe etc details of tiles.

Draw range for characters and mobs is fine.

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 2

I think it was decreased on purpose about a year ago because it was causing many lag issues.

The larger the render distance the more the frame rate tends to drop.  The frame rate in Wurm Online is usually lower than average (30-60fps) for most players (I don't really mind it, as is), and with an increase in object rendering from large distances it would make the frame rate piss poor.  I love the idea of a large render distance, don't get me wrong, but it just isn't as feasible with Wurm right now because the trade-off isn't balanced.

Just to clarify, I'm saying the average frame rate that people expect to be able to play at for most mmo's or pc games is between 30fps and 60fps.  That isn't the typical average for Wurm, at least in my experience and from reading the experiences of others, where the usual frame rate is somewhere between 12-25.

Edited by Slickshot

I know I prefer short draw distances when running multiple clients, but there are a ton of times, I wish I could see that lighthouse, or castle, or collosus in the distance.  Seems there could be a very low rez option to display certain man made objects at greater distances?  Maybe when buildings reach a certain size, all collosus satues, all marble braziers of a certain QL? Just something, other than road scars.

So +1 to some version of increased range.

• Like 1

+1

Give people the option to increase the range if they can handle it.

• Like 4

bump
All objects in bottom pic are present in the top pic but not seen.
aEvNx4G.jpg
dhIFdrJ.jpg

the far forge is the max range of objects when set to extreme;
DBpczLF.jpg

it's a bit pitiful don't you think?

• Like 1

Only if Java itself can handle it. It is less about how good ones computer is with Wurm, and more about if Java can perform the function.

+1 for:

- The draw range of objects INSIDE houses is increased - currently it is 7(?) tiles. Many houses are more than 7 tiles long. 

- The draw range for items that do not form piles (decorational items) is increased.

- The draw distance of structures is increased.

- These increases are optional and can be customized in the settings - I think this is important so you can adjust these distances depending on what your setup can handle, or how decorated the area you live in is.

Example; I have an area that is laid out with bridges and multistory houses, where the second floors of some houses connect with the use of bridges as if they were simply part of the outside ground. Decorations (except tall banners) do not render from the token, which is only a few tiles away, because they are inside a house. Infact, these tall banners you can see from the bottom of the mountain, before you can even see the house they are in!

WT2pEEq.jpg

ZOcYexf.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

+1 for:

- The draw range of objects INSIDE houses is increased - currently it is 7(?) tiles. Many houses are more than 7 tiles long. 

- The draw range for items that do not form piles (decorational items) is increased.

- The draw distance of structures is increased.

- These increases are optional and can be customized in the settings - I think this is important so you can adjust these distances depending on what your setup can handle, or how decorated the area you live in is.

Hide contents

Example; I have an area that is laid out with bridges and multistory houses, where the second floors of some houses connect with the use of bridges as if they were simply part of the outside ground. Decorations (except tall banners) do not render from the token, which is only a few tiles away, because they are inside a house. Infact, these tall banners you can see from the bottom of the mountain, before you can even see the house they are in!

WT2pEEq.jpg

ZOcYexf.jpg

Jesus, where is this place I want to live there.

• Like 1

+1. and nice place aly. seems you redid the castle since my last visit a few years back XD

+1 if the engine can handle it, my pc is fine with it :)

I think Wurmhole back in 2016 hit a big nail square on the head... greater low resolution detail in tiles further away.  I'm a new player and I cannot tell you how disappointed I am to see the solid gray mountain masses in the distance, a forest that turns to gray all of a sudden so many tiles away despite the forest continuing, and even how i can't see more than a few tiles of my farm tiles in front of me.  I totally get the performance thing, and totally support giving the players with high end systems the ability to increase the number of tiles around you that are shown in complete detail.  Even this idea of improving low resolution graphics for farther away tiles can be a feature that is toggled on/off by the player if performance issues are expected.  But giving those tiles further away more detail with a static low res version would be AMAZING!  We should be able to tell that mountain beyond the valley below is fully covered with trees... and that there is a partial clearing over towards the left side ideally, etc, but at least that what is there is green and not gray.  And that those farm tiles beyond a few in front of you are actually farm tiles - you may not be able to tell what is growing there, but that something is.

+1 Greater low res details in tiles farther away.

• Like 1

Definitely helps improve things, we've already implemented a few areas around this and will continue to work on it! 

• Like 3