Sign in to follow this  
Silberry

Tunnelling

Hi,

I started a mine in one place (by digging down) and am now trying to break though to the other side (of the small hill). From inside the tunnel I get a warning that there's a lot of dirt and I would be killed if I continued mining. Then I tried it from the outside and I think I found the right spot, so started digging and hit rock. But now I get the message that the ground sounds hollow and brittle and can't continue either.

Isn't there a way to just keep on digging and end up on the other side of a mountain/hill until you hit air?

Thx

Edited by Silberry

Not if it's covered by dirt.  If you think you know we're the exit is from out side try clearing off 3x3 tiles to rock or also try lighting a camp fire at the outside exit tile walk I to the mine and attempt to look into the coroners and walls towards the exit if you can see the fire that can help you align your self better

I wasn't able to see the fire at all from inside the mine; now I've freed two more tiles of dirt (some of which were so steep I couldn't stand on them at first) and I still can't break through. Maybe my calculations were wrong but the area isn't level and I don't know which level I'm on (depth). Could it be that I'm too far below those tiles? I tried mining upwards but keep getting the same "buried alive" warnings.

I wouldn't mind being buried alive as long as I could open the freaking tunnel :( ...

If i remember correctly try mining up ... you should not get messages and should break trough in a few hits

3 hours ago, Palanor said:

If i remember correctly try mining up ... you should not get messages and should break trough in a few hits

I have tried that myself, I got the warnings about being buried alive too. I know EXACTLY where I will come out because I counted the tiles. I uncovered far more than I need (5x5 tiles) to ensure there was no dirt on those tiles and still can't break through because it's STILL warning my that I'll be buried alive. I also can't get in from outside because it's telling me the ground sounds hollow.

"The ground sounds strangely hollow and brittle. You have to abandon the mining operation. "

this message means the tile you are trying to open an entrance on already has a tunnel, you have to open an entrance on an unmined tile.

Same here, tryst. I've given up for the moment, too many hours wasted already.

53 minutes ago, Explora said:

"The ground sounds strangely hollow and brittle. You have to abandon the mining operation. "

this message means the tile you are trying to open an entrance on already has a tunnel, you have to open an entrance on an unmined tile.

But shouldn't it be easier to break through if the rock is thin and there's a tunnel behind it?

This may not be the issue, but do remember when a tunnel entrance is mined from tne out side it in a downward slope.

And vise versa tunneling fromthe inside it is upward.

also put your cave detail on high, this will make the wall protrude enough in places so that you can clip through them and see.

so with all the info you have given us, my opinion is that you may be one tile of line and also may be one height out too.i assume you are on yoour own personnal WU server, so somw one wont be able to help you  out in person.

I made it! I was really just one tile off and after removing the dirt it was possible to mine upwards from inside the mine. :)

Edited by Silberry
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, bigsteve said:

This may not be the issue, but do remember when a tunnel entrance is mined from tne out side it in a downward slope.

And vise versa tunneling fromthe inside it is upward.

also put your cave detail on high, this will make the wall protrude enough in places so that you can clip through them and see.

so with all the info you have given us, my opinion is that you may be one tile of line and also may be one height out too.i assume you are on yoour own personnal WU server, so somw one wont be able to help you  out in person.

I have cleared an area 5x5 around the tile I calculate I would break through at. Even if I was 3 tiles out in any direction, the tile now has no dirt on it.

I already have the cave detail on high as the graphics in this game are so old, with everything maxed, I'm still getting 120 FPS. (would be nice to get a HD texture mod to improve the graphics like Skyrim had).

There is a mod with replacement textures - may not be higher resolution but many look better. But the devs are also working on new models - not sure if that includes the terrain too, but it should get better overall. A friend showed me the original horse models - like a hand drawing colored with a single color. So if you think the graphics aren't good now go try and find those old pictures...