Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

Shattering, the bane of channeling

Another thought, though unpopular could be a trade off. With leveling with a shovel - enchants wear off alot faster than flattening or digging due to the code being written that way. Lost 101 woa and 73 coc on a shovel in 6 months. If I was able to recast on my shovel and not blow it up by shattering it, would take more casting work and enchants would not always be 100+ on all stuff because decay/ usage would slowly degrade them. Could apply across the board on weapons/ armour/ tools everything so that a glut of top end enchants would never happen because they would need to be recast apon periodically But not have to worry about loosing that favorite saddle/ tool/ weapon due to a random number generator.

Thoughts or comments? <other than my shovel and my leveling , did not like that shovel anyways :D>

I haven't read the thread, I will simply say that any mechanic that randomly destroys people's time and effort is a really bad thing. Off with its head! :P

Also, I'd make enchanting like imping, in which one must choose between devoting a great deal of time to making a masterwork (100+, requiring extremely high channeling), or taking the same time to pump out quantities of reasonably good enchants (80+). No failures in the process, just a lot of time and resources, with perhaps a possibility of a rare cast that gives you a very nice jump in power.

At the very least, however, I'd tighten the RNG range of possible enchant outcomes (not as many really bads or really goods).

The current process, where I do the same thing over and over again hoping for different results, isn't fun. (And the irony is that I've probably done far more 100+ enchants now than I'd have with the above system.)

• Like 1

On 18/02/2018 at 5:48 PM, Roccandil said:

t the very least, however, I'd tighten the RNG range

Apparently the RNG method used on most creation things, like dyes and transformation liquids is v.old fashioned.

It would seem possible to use a much newer and tighter version, as applied to farming and foraging.

Devs please, please look at the RNG used on casting, making dyes and transformation liquids just for starters.  Pleeeeeease!

• Like 1

I submit the following as a middle ground between removing shattering and keeping it as is:

1. Create a threshold of Channeling skill + item QL where shattering becomes impossible.

2. Increase the amount of damage that items take upon a failed non-shatter cast. Alternatively, the item could lose QL instead of take damage.

This would allow very high casters to be able to be safe from shatter. But not for free, as the high QL item will take significant damage and need to be re-imped in order to remain safe. Safety only through effort and diligence.

The other option is to fix metallic liquid and allow it to be applied to any item. That seems like the obvious answer, as the item already exists and clearly the devs intend shatter prevention to be possible. This will allow us to protect particularly valuable items, but with an in-game monetary cost rather than a time investment cost.

• Like 4

On 22.2.2018 at 5:43 AM, LaRue said:

I submit the following as a middle ground between removing shattering and keeping it as is:

1. Create a threshold of Channeling skill + item QL where shattering becomes impossible.

2. Increase the amount of damage that items take upon a failed non-shatter cast. Alternatively, the item could lose QL instead of take damage.

This would allow very high casters to be able to be safe from shatter. But not for free, as the high QL item will take significant damage and need to be re-imped in order to remain safe. Safety only through effort and diligence.

The other option is to fix metallic liquid and allow it to be applied to any item. That seems like the obvious answer, as the item already exists and clearly the devs intend shatter prevention to be possible. This will allow us to protect particularly valuable items, but with an in-game monetary cost rather than a time investment cost.

Looking at item damage is interesting. I don't have a specific idea for how exactly it would work, but perhaps it would be even more in line with the current mechanic to "remove" shattering and instead make it a result of an item taking 100 damage from a really bad roll?

The idea is to tweak the damage an item can take so that "safety through dilligence" is not achieved by setting a hard threshold when it's "just" safe and shattering just poofs from existence, but to have it be a result of a "break even point" where even your worst possible roll would cause maximally 99,99 damage. Naturally, you don't want to reimp a 90QL item after taking 99,99 damage unless your repair skill is just that amazing, so there's still incentive to grind channelling up to get a more reasonable maximum damage. Negative roulls would also always cause damage, obviously, but the damage is gradual.

And like LaRue implied, that could be seen as a loophole for grinding Repairing more easily, so the idea of reducing QL directly still stands. Probably makes more sense for this, too.

Just an idea thrown into the ring, though. Might be horrible for X reasons I'm not seeing right now.

• Like 1

Excellent LaRue - great solutions offered there - hope the Dev Team take it up!