Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Storage Vault - private instance storage - BCSB

We have requested storage systems many times, since I have been playing.  Houses (craft halls) littered with BSBs, chests, rafts, etc.  you try to drop another item, but "the floor is already to littered" etc.  Stacking crates is great.  Big vaults to stuck chests, rats, coffins or whatever would be great.  But the new version of this would be a bit like Asheron's call houses, or Ryzom apartments.  Virtual storage.  Think of a BCSB - Bulk Container Storage Bin.  For any passer by, only that storage device would count as an item that has to be loaded into memory.  All the containers inside are in their own instance.

These BCSBs are ONLY available on deed and are tied to the deed.  If the deed expires, the BSCBs and all their items vanish.  BCSBs are free, not a paid service like templars. 

BCSBs would have multiple design choices.  Pick one style for your kitchen. Pick another for your forge. Another look for your farm shed, etc.  After all, we can afford more variety if we are adding a container that eliminates the need for millions of other containers laying around, hogging precious resources.

I'm using Wagons, carts and rafts, to try making my crafting area functional.  This is really dumb looking.  Some people build ships in their craft rooms.  How does this make sense?  We do this, because the game has not evolved to meet the needs of the players.  This would help players and Code Club both.  Virtually eliminate the lag when entering local to a well established area.  There is still an issue of too many players causing lag, but we CAN solve item clutter lag.

• Like 6

Racks or shelves would be awesome, especially for the more pack rat prone among us.

Also levels...

I don't like this idea in general, let alone it being on any PvP server would be just plain awful.
You've got your bank as your private storage, and I hope it stays that way so people aren't able to store full drake sets and whatever in some ridiculous private storage.

sorry, I wasn't considering the desire in PvP to raid someone's deed and steal their stuff.  Split the bleeping code or whatever.  We need this in PvE.

• Like 2

Personally I like it as is.... There is currently a pretty good balance between realistic and not....  right now you can store half of mountian of dirt in that tiny little BSB???  Totally not realistic!?!  But Bulky enough to be bulky!

What your asking is to be able to further condense the condensers that already condense stuff down to such a crazily unrealistic level and your not happy with it???

Build a Giant Store house and put all your bsb's inside of it.....There are plenty of ways too store tons and tons of stuff already in game we don't need some magic bank that we can put everything into!

-1 from me as well.

Not needed. No need to store half a mountain and 4 forests in your kitchen cupboard.

then why not eliminate BSBs all together?  They are completely unrealistic.  So are dragons.  So are spells.  So are pixels.

What we need is to tune up this game to better handle the way we are playing it.  Removing clutter should be a priority, to help improve performance & reduce lag.  Forget about the realism for a moment and accept that this is a fantasy game.  I can fall down a 10,000km drop shaft and not get hurt.  A little tweak to storage should not be a stretch...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

then why not eliminate BSBs all together?  They are completely unrealistic. 

This

+1 to the idea

One condition: this builded storage area should be comparable in size to the stored quantities. So for example you build one cell storage, so you can keep in it quantity of 2 BSB or 4-6 large crates, etc.

• Like 1

Maybe we can determine how many containers each one holds, by having a priest spell that enables it?  Much like a mailbox - useless until courier is cast, then spell power determines the speed.  Maybe 1 container for every 5 spell power?  Max of 20 at 100 power.  Universal spell for all priests.

I like your idea with storage access points that has different looks. It would function the same as a huge bank and would make it much easier to manage and keep track of items on the deed.

But if the devs don't want totally abstract storage space what if you could access a list of all the bsb in house by just clicking open on the floor or wall of the house? Then you can have a storage room behind a door somewhere and not have to walk around in rooms filled with bulk bins. Or make storage accessible through one of those storage access point furniture you suggested. Instead of deed wide storage it would be tied to each house.

There could also be a crane like structure that function like an immobile vehicle that you can embark and load up with as many crates as a caravel and use it as part warehouse. They had cranes in medieval times and it would look great at the docks.

I´m just throwing out ideas so that devs know where to start. I really want better storage options.

Edited by Tsetse
  • Like 1

In a realistic setting it is possible to include shelving and other storage spaces into the structure of a building. Pieces of furniture and boxes can serve well, but how is a house any different than a giant crate? Can you actually enter your ship's cargo hold and walk around on the deck? It is no stretch of imagination to consider that there could be some closets or alcoves built into the house.

I personally favor a storage system which only accepts bulk goods and not items which normally do not fit into crates. Having to access the compartment by walking to the location within the house will ensure that there is still a need for space planning. Such locations could be the cellar door outside, or the attic hatch on the top floor.

We currently have neither attics nor cellars, yet there is plenty of space under the roofs and floors to utilize. Don't expect to walk around in those places (if they even had enough clearance to stand upright), they are packed. Because these spaces occupy the tops and bottoms of our buildings, then the total area of the top and ground floors will determine the total storage capacity.

There is no reason this would have to be unrealistic, and the most unrealistic claims are actually coming from the -1 people, also in this thread.

"magically store mountains/universe inside a cupboard"

Spoiler

A straw man is a common form of argument based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.