Sign in to follow this  
Nuinethir

Wurm Unlimited Locking Up Gaming Rig

Wurm Unlimited has been a lot of fun for me over the past month, no issues whatsoever.  However, for about a week now, I have been getting random freezes here and there, mostly on my deed which is for the most part uninhabited.

My machine will just completely lock up (WU screen freezes, my second monitor, with Firefox playing Pandora, also crashes, and finally the cursor freezes). This is where I realize the computer has seized up. A hard restart brings me back to my desktop with no answers. I can't find a log file, since the game didn't have time to generate one. I am at a loss as to what is happening. Other games work fine (especially Minecraft, another Java game).

The game's video settings are maxed out, where I hit 60 FPS in the wild and roughly 35-40 in large cities.

I would like to know if anyone else has had such a problem, as well as anyone that may be able to help me. Any other info you need please let me know. Specs are below:

- Processor: Intel i5-4670 3.4GHz (no overclock)

- Memory: 8GB DDR3-1600 (CAS8 latency)

- Graphics: EVGA GTX 970 1216MHz base (no overclock)

- Main display: LG 34" ultrawide (2560x1080) via DVI

- Aux. display: Cisco DX80 (1920x1080) via HDMI

Edited by Nuinethir

I cannot tell you what is wrong, but I would say start your search with Java, not WU. Then double check your drivers. Try turning certain things down or off, namely shadows.Water reflections have cause me issues in the past with texture corruptions but it could do other things on other systems or it could not affect a system at all. 

Already checked: Nvidia drivers and JRE are all up to date. It's a sysadmin thing. :) 

What I don't get is that this was working fine for over a month, it is only recently I am having issues.

Edited by Nuinethir
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Audrel said:

Good luck finding the cause. Have you looked through the support thread here? http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/26-technical-issues/

That I have, and I will continue to search. I find this behavior a little strange for a game that has been working great so far. No other games or programs installed, virtually nothing changed on my system probably because I am quite hooked!

I tried lowering the settings, but then it looks really bad. One thread mentioned disabling VBO, which made all of the shadows VERY dark and hard to see.

Nuinethir are you running the server that you are playing on, on this rig?

If so the issue may be running out of ram. No I do not mean your rig running out of ram, but the server itself, or perhaps the client. By default WU server and client is set to run 2048 ram. You can change this in the ini files. LaunchConfig.ini in the WurmLauncher, and also in the Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server

You will see a line that says MaxHeapSize=2048m change 2048m to a higher number and see if that solves your problem. Example MaxHeapSize=4096m

If you are using ago's mod loader, this is a little different, you will want to do this in modlaunther.bat the part you will look for is -Xmx2048m change that to -Xmx4096m and see if it helps.

Hope this fixes you up!

I had this freezing issue a year ago or there abouts, it was not relate to Wurm, as it was happening with other games.

To miss out all the stuff i tried out to fix, there was a lot.

it turn out that i had a few bad sectors on my HDD that was being used by the page filing system. So the freeze would only occur after playing games after a while.

this might not be the cause of yours though

Edited by bigsteve

I can say with 100% certainty, if you get random freezes of your operating system, it's either a hardware failure or a driver bug.

Run a RAM test (note: Microsoft test may only check the first 4GB).
A simplified RAM-test, that you can run in a console inside a running OS:
http://algonet.se/~tamlin/MemTest_64_w_src.7z

Wurm itself can not "hang" your computer, provided hardware, Windows and drivers are working as expected.