Sign in to follow this  
Mavv

Allow destoy cart and ship

Under manage we can now see our ships and carts that we own. On indy i have one ship transporter, three large carts, one cart and aside from my large cart that i use i have no idea anymore where the other ones are located. Would be nice to have the option to destoy any ships or carts that the player owns.

Mavv

• Like 2

sounds like a fine idea on pve

just on pvp it could be problematic for people to hop on a boat to claim ownership and click destroy to poof the boat

If you were looking to simply remove them from your list of managed vehicles, you may transfer ownership to an alt or even rename the item to "PM Soandso, free/lost boat!" to have it found. 

if they are unlocked someone else may be using them, would not be fair to the party who found a ship/cart and is making use of it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

if they are unlocked someone else may be using them, would not be fair to the party who found a ship/cart and is making use of it

If you're using a vehicle you don't own, you can't really expect much.

• Like 3

Maybe there can be an option to give up on your ownership, not destroy the item. So it goes away from your managed options, and the first person to examine it can claim ownership. This should satisfy both the pvp and pve folk.

Ps: I remember seeing tools or weapons with no owners, and got a message saying that I keep history alive or something, and then the item had my signature, so it's already implemented in game

Edited by faty
  • Like 1

+1 for a mechanic to get rid of unwanted carts and boats.

I've said it in other threads already: the decay mechanic doesn't work well. It hurts newer players because their stuff decays quite fast - and keeps the stuff from established players around for too long.

• Like 1

-1 A lot of new players use abandoned unlocked carts, if you destroy it when they're carrying their goods across a desert, they'll quit right away. Well that's what i would do if treated like that by the game. Sell it, give it away or include your nickname in vehicle's name. Sure the ability to unlock it remotely or allow others to lock when the owner is not playing anymore would be just fine.

5 minutes ago, zigozag said:

-1 A lot of new players use abandoned unlocked carts, if you destroy it when they're carrying their goods across a desert, they'll quit right away. Well that's what i would do if treated like that by the game. Sell it, give it away or include your nickname in vehicle's name. Sure the ability to unlock it remotely or allow others to lock when the owner is not playing anymore would be just fine.

We already have the ability to unlock remotely or transfer ownership, via permissions.

Transfer ownership - yes, but not unlock. Uhmm, you can, of course, allow it for 'Everyone', but i meant complete retaining from managing the item as if it didnt have a lock.

That's the exact same effect, isn't it? Is there any difference between allowing all permissions (except "Manage") and leaving it unlocked?

A guarantee that i won't find my storage wagon locked remotely again one day ;)

Spoiler

inb4 it's not yours if you didn't make it

Because you cannot allow 'Everyone' permission to 'Manage' the cart, then anyone will always be able to use it; essentially making it impossible to secure. 

If the padlock were removed totally from the cart, then it could be padlocked by the new person to secure it; having the key to the padlock would defeat the restrictions to operate the cart. 

(I am not sure if this method is still allowed under the new permission system)

having a key for a cart does not give you access (you can look, but don't touch)  if you are not on the perms

if you have no idea where the cart/ship is, transfer ownership and just wash your hands of it

4 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

having a key for a cart does not give you access (you can look, but don't touch)  if you are not on the perms

Ok, well you can use the key to unlock that cart before using it and attach the lock again afterward.

It would be less hassle to simply build your own cart, but I personally had been using someone's old and unlocked cart in my early days before making my own. I could drive while holding the key, but would have to remove the lock to remove items. 

On January 13, 2016 at 5:48 AM, Meldichoir said:

Ok, well you can use the key to unlock that cart before using it and attach the lock again afterward.

(self-quote)

With the old system, having a key to a vehicle allowed actual access to it, and it was also possible to use the key to remove the lock completely.

As said above, having a key currently enables looking at the cargo contents only. I feel like this should not be intentional; having a key should enable full use. The owner has the responsibility to safeguard his key, and newly constructed vehicles come locked with keyless padlocks anyway.

I suspect that this actually is intentional, that these broken keys are the result of vehicles recently becoming over-protected when the new permissions went live.