Sign in to follow this  
Frincel

Idea to make quality matter for more items in the world

I’m still new to the game so perhaps some of the mechanic is already implemented. I’ve decided to try and take up Masonry, which is a fun skill for me to work on. I realize that certain types of devices like forges work better with high quality. What if that idea was extended to other types of items created and placed inside someone’s deed or a village?

Perhaps offer a percent off of deed maintenance costs depending on the average quality of all items in the village, anything that can be improved could count as part of the total average.

Just a thought to make a 90ql statue count for more than a 10ql statue.

I’d think there might be other things to work out. Perhaps the tiered percent off grid, which is based on average quality, also has a minimum number of items that need to be included? Something to stop folks from just having one really nice item pulling the village along to that higher tier.

What other ways could drive people to desire high quality items placed in their villages – preferably made by masons :)

Edited by Frincel

Hmm I like your thoughts.

But sadly my long experience as a high Mason has been firstly enjoy your work.

More higher minimum required skills  items would be nice(Some practical some decorative ).

But sadly I personally feel most wurmians dont consider the worth of the humble Mason unless there is a coin involved.

And I'm pushing everyone one to go beyond grind and coin, add folk lore to world and pass it on to new players.

So an item created by Frincel the Chisel might not be any better than one created my Bilbo the newb but much more treasured.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Andromas said:

Hmm I like your thoughts.

But sadly my long experience as a high Mason has been firstly enjoy your work.

More higher minimum required skills  items would be nice(Some practical some decorative ).

But sadly I personally feel most wurmians dont consider the worth of the humble Mason unless there is a coin involved.

And I'm pushing everyone one to go beyond grind and coin, add folk lore to world and pass it on to new players.

So an item created by Frincel the Chisel might not be any better than one created my Bilbo the newb but much more treasured.

I would love to see more items, decorative or not hidden behind a bit of a skill wall.
I hope to see more of those.

The savings likely wouldn't be worth the effort...and if they were, all it really does is 'punish' new/low skilled players. Rolf needs money somehow and they would be the ones paying the upkeep rather than the high skilled players...assuming the saving was even worthwhile. Pretty much a newbie tax.

I'd rather see more unlockables and extra features when items/skills go above a certain threshold. Like how you need X carpentry for large crates/wagons and boats/carts need to be 10ql+ to ride.

Things like 70ql hammer and do Y but once it hits 90ql it can do Z, rather than just incremental % success chance boost and lower speed timers.

This could be applied to most things.

In your example of a statue, they could be made to look broken/not as good at low quality and awesome at 90ql+ for example, with every 5/10ql higher getting rid of some mistakes or something in the statue.

our thunder is stolen somewhat, by stonecutting, which is a much slower skill. so we're limited on what to grind.
Masonry could use alot more love, FC needed it more than us a year ago but i don't believe that true anymore.
My first thought upon reading your thread was yeah!, make hq ships move faster.

aside from the deed maintenance thing (that would be elitist and unfair on newbies)
i agree with your desire to make masonry a more prized skill and the quality of items making a difference. so i guess it gets a
+1

Edited by Steveleeb

Beyond what I’ve read here I have also heard some comments made by other folks that it’s easier for new players, and harder for older. Older players have “too much stuff” to consider going through all that work – or so I’ve been told. So it seems like there are folks that feel this would be bad for both new and older players alike.

Other than money off upkeep, perhaps you could get stronger guards, or even a free one if you can get your overall quality up.

As for offering an elitist path, I would submit that most of this game is about getting stuff that others can’t get because they can’t skill as much. Almost any skill is that way. There is a newbie farming tax – they can’t get as much. There is a newbie foraging tax, they can only get one item and can’t even choose what to get. They can’t prospect and see what kind of stone they are going to mine. Lots of skills get better as more time is spent – and one transitions from newbie to veteran player.

Ultimately, the goal being to make higher levels of some skills more useful. Lots of ways to accomplish that! And a few good ones listed in this thread too.

QL really is king in-game in many ways.

Atm the ql doesn't impact upkeep costs as the OP describes; though, a 90ql statue would take years RL to decay.

Granted a 9ql statue can take a while to decay too.