Sign in to follow this  
Clatius

Is Mining The Problem?

We really could use starter towns better.  Make them new player training grounds, much like the Wurm Academy settlements that have popped up on different servers.  Mayor positions should be applied for, like a CA or Forum Mod.  Make the starter deeds huge.  Always have resources near and if the town fills up, show it on the "teleport to starter town" list when you make a new character.

Make the tutorial have some strong advice to join the starter town right off the bat. 

I really hate seeing starter towns on Xanadu, just looking like a ghost town.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

We really could use starter towns better.  Make them new player training grounds, much like the Wurm Academy settlements that have popped up on different servers.  Mayor positions should be applied for, like a CA or Forum Mod.  Make the starter deeds huge.  Always have resources near and if the town fills up, show it on the "teleport to starter town" list when you make a new character.

Make the tutorial have some strong advice to join the starter town right off the bat. 

I really hate seeing starter towns on Xanadu, just looking like a ghost town.

Yes, I agree.

Starter "towns" are no towns and are badly placed at times. Whoever got the idea to make starter "towns" without a town and without easily accessible resources should be hit hard with the next troll club. :)

• Like 3

When the tutorial was required it seemed folks still didn't learn the basics game. I remember folks asking if players payed attention when they did the tutorial.

Newtown on JKH was very much like a new player town. All I remember from that was the competition to place merchants and fighting over available space. 

A different way to teach players might be a spectator mode where multiple players can watch a game window as a bot does some task. It would be just like your playing the game but all you can do is watch.

Like others, I'm not sure how someone who doesn't have the patience to mine is going to make it in this game. I'd argue that every task is for the most part just as repetitive as mining.

I still think a substitute system where players have choices would be good. Here a player could craft all tools from materials like ceramics, bones, rocks (i'm not talking about crude tools...a rock tool that is just as good as an iron one). Players could craft all needed tools and parts to do things and never touch a lump of iron or buy iron goods.

On 1/8/2016 at 1:52 PM, ClericGunem said:

20x clay

No it is not what I meant, especially the clay requirement, that can be nearly as hard to find as iron.

Not a bad idea, to rummage a rock shard using the same method as analyzing. But rock shards decay, but a novice miner would be able to create a few from an existing mine or tunneling.

Mining used to be a lot worse (a LOT longer timers, no keybinds and on JKH there were no ore veins above ql50) but people still did it. The problem isn't the mining itself because it's no less boring than any other skill, personally I find it better than many, the problem is that a LOT of people abuse new players as slave labour for obtaining vast amounts of ore.

PS. It was a lot better before the random sloping was introduced to mining. It sucks to spend 50 actions on a wall to have the floor end up crooked. Imagine if the same went for digging: You're trying to dig a nice slope and the shovel randomly decided to dig 2-3 digs more than you're pressing. Ugh.

On 2016-01-08 at 2:17 PM, Warlander said:

Hmm... How about making this depend on skill, with up to 0 error at 90 mining?

The ones who suffer the most from the random sloping are the newbies, since 50 actions for one single wall takes a lot longer - so no. Just remove it, we were fine before it was introduced. It doesn't add anything to the game.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 2

It would be a great shame to make Wurm to easy for newbies, It already has been in many ways since i started playing.

Part of the charm for me personally was the brutal grind, the requirement to use your brain and have no easy ride,  Wurm does retain players...

Perhaps slower than other games yes but it's a completely different type of player that sticks to wurm, do we really want to be another Runescape, or WOW, or any other over-marketed game that is mindless and numb with no sense of acheivements?

I hope not!

On 1/17/2016 at 1:03 PM, Aeris said:

PS. It was a lot better before the random sloping was introduced to mining. It sucks to spend 50 actions on a wall to have the floor end up crooked. Imagine if the same went for digging: You're trying to dig a nice slope and the shovel randomly decided to dig 2-3 digs more than you're pressing. Ugh.

Especially after even a few tiles of random sloping you can have a serious mismatch where 2 tunnels meet even if they started at the same level.

I mined a 50x50 square once and made the mistake of mining around the perimeter first, when I mined back around to the starting spot the floor was more than 20 slope difference.

I've posted a couple threads about it over the years but was accused of either trying to take away business from Mag priests or trying to turn the game into easy mode (because everyone knows that crooked floors make the game challenging and fun).

• Like 1

On 1/23/2016 at 8:30 AM, Tazinsky said:

It would be a great shame to make Wurm to easy for newbies, It already has been in many ways since i started playing.

Part of the charm for me personally was the brutal grind, the requirement to use your brain and have no easy ride,  Wurm does retain players...

Perhaps slower than other games yes but it's a completely different type of player that sticks to wurm, do we really want to be another Runescape, or WOW, or any other over-marketed game that is mindless and numb with no sense of acheivements?

its already too easy for noobs, i didnt join wurm because i wanted it to be easy, the best part for me was dying 20 times at the start trying to figure out how to kill a wolf with a 5ql shortsword and 10ql birch shield... all these "Improvments" to make things easier is adding to the problem.... wurm is supposed to be challenging, if new people rage quit because its too hard, then they were not going to last long anyway, and its best to weed them out quickly rather than drag it on

• Like 1

Believe the update for underground buildings should help since the Underground will not be as Bland