Sign in to follow this  
krinos78

Fantasy Boating

Hi all,

We all know that traveling in Wurm can be slow. So as a player i have pondered over this.

Suggestion 1:

The ship is not a classic boat but needs a magic gem (channelled gem used at creation) in the rudder, that makes the boat go faster than normal.

(I dont think priest or wizard only, just that the boat itself is infused. The gem could also be used as a separate item to activate the boat, so it could be activated by a commander.)

Suggestion 2: 

Use animals. In land travel people use animal for transportation. Why not use animals for watertravel?

Imagine a catamaran boat (or just regular sailboat) hitched by 2 dolphins. (Or other animals.) Imagine a manta ray with boatlike top that swims just under the waterline but the "boat" stays above water.

(I enjoy the "non-cartoony" world of Wurm far more than a W.o.w. like world. But we do have fantasy elements like dragons and sea drakes and whatnot. And this wouldnt change the appearance of the game i feel. If i truely lived in Wurm i would find a way to use wateranimals for faster travel.)

Feel free to add any ideas. Or to like, dislike. (Dislike one and shoot the other maybe?)

Edited by krinos78
  • Like 2

Or just a flat overall speed increase to boats, not ql or fancy renamed farwalker dependent. 

• Like 2

Also in case people fear about pvp with the animals and losing them. (It could be so that they swim deeper so arrows/swords cant really hit them.)

or just find a way to make those shipbuilders the mechanics our car... hrm boat really need... you know replace tires sails, cordages and hull cleaning / imping to keep them in top shape for a decent speed boost before relying on totally new mechanisms.

• Like 1

Not entirely sure what u mean odynn. Some sort of steampunk/mechanical boat?

think horses... but instead of horses you have boats, instead of saddles you have sails, instead of shoes you have cordages, and instead of speed traits you have hull QL. tweak all that together, add some decay and you have a speed boost and some of the needed love for a useless (more or less nowadays) skill.

(PS. badger saroman till we have your boat ingame).

Edited by Odynn
moar data!
  • Like 1

You mean boats have replacable parts, ropes that can be changed like a bowstring and masts that can be replaced, sails that can be hoisted or folded, that sort of thing?

So its a skill that doesnt stops after you "finished" the boat.

Or just a flat overall speed increase to boats, not ql or fancy renamed farwalker dependent. 

Btw im fine with just an overall speed buff. But my idea is more like recreating the ways we use boats. And maybe the skins of them, because (no offence) they are boring to me. No one fancies boating atm. ;)

Odynn's idea, being able to add a rare sail for more boost (like a saddle) or i suppose mooring ropes like horseshoes (technically it be closer to cordage and it would be the furlers), it would make sense to add some more ways to improve components on a boat as it is more complex, maybe even specialize like reef anchors for ship to do tight turns, or perhaps add some more realism to the sails themselves, larger, tighter sails for long range, smaller more precise and complex sails for puttering around the coast or bays.  If i ancestors had tacking the way these ships have they would never have bother exploring, hmm, sort of like it is in wurm now.