Sign in to follow this  
Bumrush

Hunter Companions!

I was playing around with taming and came to the hard realization that pets are terribly useless and sadly, very weak. Their experience level is stationary and there's absolutely no bonding with them which ultimately leads to them being thrown into pens for visual appeal because that's about all they're useful for.

I've played many online games and one of the most popular by FAR things to do in mmo's is to find an animal companion to hunt or fight with. One of the huge positives is being able to train and level them (att/def/str/agl) along with your character making them largely popular with all online games that do similar things. 

Leather wolf/dog armor AND ability to name your animal would be another huge plus on top which I'm sure many wurmonians would love to see. Dragging a useless identity-less dog around as bait to save your butt is boring and gets tiresome after a time, making them nothing but meat to be hunted like everything else. It will definitely add a realism towards the game as bonding with canines has always been a part of human nature in game and in IRL next to horses. 

I'm sure this will bring new players to support and play wurm. Please consider this and thank you!

• Like 1

+1 from me, good suggestion.

I agree that the current pet system is inadequate. They're either just animals that stand around on a deed or throw-away aggro grabbers.

40 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

trolls, scorpion's and croc's make pretty fierce pets

2/3 need a priest to dom them :(

And the 3rd one (croc) stays your pet for max. 3 RL hours, no matter your taming level. :) While a somewhat junior priest dominates a troll for 72 RL hours.

• Like 2

+1, I wrote about something like this in the 'plan for a plan' topic :D

Edited by faty

22 hours ago, Eobersig said:

And the 3rd one (croc) stays your pet for max. 3 RL hours, no matter your taming level. :) While a somewhat junior priest dominates a troll for 72 RL hours.

as far as I can tell by taming/dominating things max tame for everything aggro is like 6 hours or so, I've most certainly had a champ croc stay tame for 6 hours so 3 is not right.  Champ troll, champ scorp, normal troll, normal scorp, troll king, all stayed dom for 6 hours or so

45 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

as far as I can tell by taming/dominating things max tame for everything aggro is like 6 hours or so, I've most certainly had a champ croc stay tame for 6 hours so 3 is not right.  Champ troll, champ scorp, normal troll, normal scorp, troll king, all stayed dom for 6 hours or so

I can't remember how it was during my time on Serenity, too long ago now, but on Xanadu it's certainly not like you say above.

• I have an aged troll standing guard just outside my perimeter (dominated by a somewhat junior Nahjo priest from my alliance), for at least 3 RL days now. I feed him a filet of meat so now and then. :)
  • I had a raging brown bear as pet for the last year or so. It never went un-tame when I refreshed the tame every RL day or 2.
  • I have a lair of fierce crocs close to my deed. never managed to keep one of the crocs tame for more than 3 hours. Taming skill 56, fierce croc tamed to loyal status, would go un-tame after about 3 hours.

Odd that you're so sure about times while I see completely different ones. Unless dominating/taming is just completely different on different server (types). 

On 1/7/2016 at 5:40 AM, Eobersig said:

I can't remember how it was during my time on Serenity, too long ago now, but on Xanadu it's certainly not like you say above.

• I have an aged troll standing guard just outside my perimeter (dominated by a somewhat junior Nahjo priest from my alliance), for at least 3 RL days now. I feed him a filet of meat so now and then. :)
  • I had a raging brown bear as pet for the last year or so. It never went un-tame when I refreshed the tame every RL day or 2.
  • I have a lair of fierce crocs close to my deed. never managed to keep one of the crocs tame for more than 3 hours. Taming skill 56, fierce croc tamed to loyal status, would go un-tame after about 3 hours.

Odd that you're so sure about times while I see completely different ones. Unless dominating/taming is just completely different on different server (types). 

are you doing pray spam on any of the accounts, praying can make bond stronger to super high levels repeatedly

4 hours ago, MrGARY said:

are you doing pray spam on any of the accounts, praying can make bond stronger to super high levels repeatedly

No. The dominated troll will see some prayers from the priest of course (it's an alliance mate of mine, not my character). The priest was only occasionally online in the last days and the troll stayed dominated for almost 4 RL days. The bear that stays tame for multiple RL days might see not a single prayer at all because it's my main character that tames it. The same main character (Timothy) taming the croc will at max. get 3 RL hours out of it.

Please believe me - and back to the topic of this thread: I can't judge how taming is currently balanced on PvP servers - but on PvE servers it's a totally useless skill - the best it can do is to give you a living decoration for your deed.

A trusted companion being more useful, as they are in many other games, would be awesome!

I was psyched to discover my tamed dog could let me know when an aggressive was lurking outside my house.  More than a few times I'd be heading out, but then noticed his aggressive posture.  Look out the window and sure enough, troll's hanging out right outside my door.

Pretty minor I guess but still, little things like that are fun.

Also, maybe have a pool of combat points allotted to pets so we can tame more than one.  Folks in PvP don't want to see opponents with two crocs... why not?  No idea, it's PvP, suck it up, but that's just me.

So, how bout I can tame 5 dogs if I want, or just 1 croc, or 3 wolves, but only 1 bear, etc. based on how effective my total pet-count-combat-rating-pool would be in a fight?

If you want to add armor, have that armor affect that individual pet's combat rating.  A wolf with a leather chest piece is takes up more of your pet-count-combat-rating-pool than a wolf with no protection.  On the other hand, Fido in a pink bumble bee outfit loses combat rating out of pure embarrassment, allowing you to have a vast army of pink bumble bee pooches descending upon your enemy.