Sign in to follow this  
NESGamepro

24 Hours on Server to Attack Uniques

Penning is a problem in itself. Rolf said that penning was not suppose to happen and they "fixed" it shorlty after 1.0 came out. To my dismay penning is still happening and being encouraged by the dev team so until they get there priorities straight there will always be dragon drama.

As far as instances go.... your playing wurm online not WoW. I would like to keep my fluid world fluid.

3 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Wurm is a massive, persistent, player-driven world. Instanced areas make absolutely no sense in its context.

What I'm suggesting is the framework for raiding basically - something a lot of players would love to see in wurm I assure you. Not sure why you can't see the benefit to this, more PvE is always nice.

Just now, Niki said:

What I'm suggesting is the framework for raiding basically - something a lot of players would love to see in wurm I assure you. Not sure why you can't see the benefit to this, more PvE is always nice.

The recent Q&A with Rolf said that we should see battle camps on freedom some time this year. basically a spawn point and you have to fight higher powered npc to get to the central loot. No need for instances.

3 minutes ago, JudusX said:

The recent Q&A with Rolf said that we should see battle camps on freedom some time this year. basically a spawn point and you have to fight higher powered npc to get to the central loot. No need for instances.

Basically the same system as a unique. Doesn't help.

Instances so you can be spoon fed uniques - no

People say that penning uniques should be removed, but I don't think they realise that it's far easier and quicker to arrange a group of fighters for a private kill than it is for a public kill, a dragon needs maybe 15 fighters tops to kill, the others much less

Of course we realize it, it's part of the problem. What do you care what I'm spoon fed? I'll never be in your clique and you would deny me of hunts because of it? Yup, that's a problem.

The system is fine now, if you are not happy about it, there are uniques sitting around to be found all over the place, unless they died of old age. When this stuff spawns go look for it like everyone else does and pen it up yourself and you can hold your marvelous public event with 200+ people lagging the crap out of the server so bad you can't even stay connected or move.

Being able to lock the creature onto a deed to prevent ninja looting of the corpse is needed, those deeds put a bit of silver in the rolf bank and keeps everyone happy.

Sadly I was not able to make the event today but there are always more chances at the next one. I was surprised when I learned where it was, you could of found it yourself if you spent the time looking for it.

• Like 1

I don't see a need for a raid system to be implemented in wurm. What other sand box game has them?

There isn't really a way to stop certain players from killing uniques with a small group of people if they don't want to, that is what makes wurm special, Everything is player driven. Public events are great, But some players prefer not to go through the extra hassle to organize them.

About the 24hours on server thing. The idea requires much more discussion and expanding upon then you've done.

I don't see a need for a raid system to be implemented in wurm. What other sand box game has them?

There isn't really a way to stop certain players from killing uniques with a small group of people if they don't want to, that is what makes wurm special, Everything is player driven. Public events are great, But some players prefer not to go through the extra hassle to organize them.

About the 24hours on server thing. Terrible idea. It would effectively lock people to servers and would potentially kill trade for players who want to be involved in unique slayings. Not to mention that you'd have to make it so anyone who wasn't on the server for 24hours wouldn't get scale/hide/blood, but there isn't an ingame mechanic that would stop them from trying to get loot drops except the person who hosts it or whoever is handling loot.

As some of what other people have said, if you would like to see a different method practiced, start hunting uniques, find players with a similar mindset, and start doing it the way you want. It's purely up to you.

Don't think most people don't have a problem with penning if they only do it for less then a week

They may need a major buff so it takes more people to kill them 

As always when it comes to uniques, no easy answers. The public hunts are a pain for the hosts.  Instances and spoon feeding are bit not Wurmish , but it never hurts to look at different ideas. Sometimes brainstorming is a good thing 

• Like 1

What is Wurmish? It has a very loose theme, no specific technological era besides "olden days". It's just a sandbox, that's the theme. There is no rule book that says this or that can't be added or it will kill the sandbox. I see that reason a lot and it makes no sense to me. It's like the intention of it is to be a conversation stopper.

Wurm should be fun above all else right? As it is now hunts are often more frustrating than fun for me.

• Like 2

Last year i think i took part of 2 or 3 kills on freedom. If even that much and ofc any kingdom slaying on chaos. That being said no instances please. There really is no need for this. I know tons of people who go around and look for them and have done it myself. It is very fulfilling if you find one (I have heard). I have also helped to pen one, its not that easy, rather dull and annoying and we did it in a rather safe enviorment without no one messing with us. If you feel left out, go out there and become part of the people who are looking for the unique. Maybe find it yourself. Its not that hard. And lets be frank most of the slayings are open to all if not count the ones that are killed by private partys. Loot itself is mostly private because of the effort those people put in. I think it is fair. If you truly want the slaying/loot, go look for it.

The instanced idea IS HORRIBLE.... This is Wurm its a Sandbox ever part of the world is accessible bye everyone else with enough lock picking and or catapults and or fightskill so get this Instanced crap idea right out of your head!!! Absolute NO NO AND NO!!!!  

You want a 5 man dungeon go back to playing WoW!!!

13 hours ago, whykillme said:

Remove loot from Uniques! Problem solved.

That seems extreme, but making hide/scale from dragons a fixed amount per person (regardless of how many people are in local) would go a long way towards curbing private fights.

The problem with dragons is that you need to kill hundreds of them at 0.01 kg in a public fight vs about 10 (not that I would know on WO but it's that way in WU) from a private, tiny group to make a set of armor that sells for more than 100 Euro. You must nerf the Euro, not the dragon. The Euro is what ails you.

Edited by Audrel

One way to make the uniques easier to find (except the goblin, it can hide behind a blade of grass) would be to have them wander across the entire map, but leave a trail behind them. The humanoids could leave snapped trees along their route, the dragons could leave scorched trees or bushes. Observant or hunting players would see these and off they`d go on the hunt.

The kyklops apparently can`t swim, but look at the size of it, surely it can wade across channels? And the dragons have flight(ish) so nowhere should be offlimits to them (cue knarrloads of people frantically rowing after the oversized lizards)

And no instances. Ever. Logging in every Sunday at the same time so I can enter a private instance where I can find a dragon just chilling out until it`s appointed time is up would become boring and utterly meaningless (I`ve yet to stab a dragon, and I want it to be an achievement)

• Like 2

Lol my post gets removed because i -1.

Again.

I helped catch a dragon a couple weeks ago and I found it more fun trying to get it penned to schedule the slaying that the slayings ever were. When it's 4 people working to get it captured without being lunch, it's far more exciting than 50 people beating to death.

• Like 3

two things are an issue with uniques and will always create great tension between players:

1. Like WKM says: "Loot".  Loot is Looticrous (sorry, bad joke).  Some of the items dropped are worth over $1000e for 3 charges, according to sales I have seen over the last few years.  With those at stake, people will hoard and privatize.  It is only natural.

2. This game can't handle large groups.  A horrible client + a 10yr old server, running MFM drives and 16MB of RAM DIMM chips isn't going to handle 100+ people in one place.

Bloods, scale, small trophies like the skulls are all fine for loot.  Everyone gets some and hooray.  No need to go private anymore.  But that doesn't solve the crowding, which makes people want to do private hunts as well.  For that, either a massive game overhaul or do instances for uniques, that have a raid group like setup. 

No matter how you look at the Uniques situation, it is broken.  No way around having a bunch of folks feeling really frustrated and a few walking away feeling frustrated and frustrated players doesn't make good business.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2016 at 10:56 AM, Audrel said:

I helped catch a dragon a couple weeks ago and I found it more fun trying to get it penned to schedule the slaying that the slayings ever were. When it's 4 people working to get it captured without being lunch, it's far more exciting than 50 people beating to death.

I agree 1000% wit this.  I've been part of 3-4 pennings and it is a rush.  The kill after is a cluster.

Long time ago there was a discussion regarding a dedicated hunting server.  No deeds, no permanent dwelling, just as it sounds... you go, you hunt, you fight like mad, you bleed all over the place, you drink and be merry by the campfire and tent... then you go home.

What about a Dragon homeworld?  It's a continent.  You can't live there, and likely wouldn't want to on account of all the flaming breath all over the place.  Not so good for crops.  But the dragons, there's so many of them.  There's young ones, old ones, in-betweens that all give loot scalable (badum bum, sry.) to their age/size.  There's enough that group 1 might be attacking the venerable herd to the north while group B is tackling a single aged in the southeast.

Wipe-out?  Regroup at the battle tent, or maybe offer up a GM run town with some basics for rent/sale?

How do you get there?  One of them wood things with a sail on it.

Or, while I can understand people saying "no instances, for we are one world," it's a bit batsh:blink: blind.  Epic portal?

Behold, the dragon portal.  Maybe.  Or the wood thing, whatever.

Bottom line is, "go find it yourself," isn't all that great an attitude is it?  It's simple, I'll give you that.  It's also boring, short-sighted, unimaginative, brutish, knuckle-draggin', spoiled-brattish, bullsquat only a two year old going through their "MINE!" phase would come up with.  Not that I have any particular feelings on the subject.

• Like 1

Like said before, the problem with dragons is the armor that people pay lots of money for. A server like this would do two things - destroy a high end market and render all other armor pretty much useless.

Dont worry, by the end of the year scale price will be under 200. There are many, many more sets dropping with the recent changes to loot.

Compared to where we had roughly 16 sets per year come into the game this has now increased to roughly 50 sets per year and the playerbase has dropped significantly. Unless something crazy happens there is no way the current price for scale will hold. And it has already dropped a bit.

All they need to do now is increase the drake hide from 0.5-2kg to 1kg-5kg to even it out. Right now hide drops are far less than it should be. We used to have roughly 100 drake sets per year, where now, we'll get like 10 IF LUCKY. Devs don't know this i guess because they don't play the game.

• Like 1