Sign in to follow this  
Clatius

Why Oh Why

Why do people open servers and demand players pay for deeds and pay for upkeep? If they wanted to do that they would just play WO. I hear some people say, "it's for the economy". Really? You can't have an economy with five people. WU is not WO. Just drop the money for deeds and let people have fun instead of working to pay for a deed. It's all about fun.

• Like 4

because WUrm is WOrm

Edited by ftoz

Try a server with pvp, almost none of that.

I recommend CAPSALOT,

Will you die to people?

Maybe, probably not.

Is there an easy way to start a deed and make money?

Heck yeah

Edited by FranktheTank

On that note, if there's no money going around... why play it at all, what're you going to loot?  A set of tools you could've quicker made yourself?

My biggest issue with WU is if you're not on a server with a player count the same as WO, there is no point in logging in.  Aside from a creative server.. and again, what's the point?

Interesting comments.

My server has no premium and no deed costs. What it does have is a market where there are GM owned merchant stalls. These stalls provide access to goods that players generally cannot or only rarely can make - tomes, potions, oils, blood, spyglasses, sculpting wands etc.

Since the server also has the bounty mod enabled people earn money by leaving deed and killing mobs. They also get opportunities to fight dragons in the event arena where there are prizes including coins.

The market area is also open to regular players placing stalls. These would usually contain things like products that people would like to purchase rather then make themselves since not everyone is either already or wants to be the master of every skill in the game.

At Christmas, prior to the Xmas mod becoming available (and after)  a GM created maze was created that was 19 x 20. Scattered throughout the maze were 10 HOTA statues. Next to each HOTA statue was a large magical chest containing gifts. Players completing the maze would take a gift from each large magical chest along the way.

From a freedom perspective we don't have an economy. We also don't have people losing significant money on changes to things like fountain pans etc. What I think we do have is a lot of fun together.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

On that note, if there's no money going around... why play it at all, what're you going to loot?  A set of tools you could've quicker made yourself?

My biggest issue with WU is if you're not on a server with a player count the same as WO, there is no point in logging in.  Aside from a creative server.. and again, what's the point?

Whats the Point of playing ANY Game?

there is no point of playing any game - we all should go outside and spend more time in real life.

With so many different Public free to play on servers within WU there are also many different philosophies (ideas and stuff) on how they should be run. The beauty in this is those different options being available as choices to determine which suit an individuals desires. The more attractive they are in general, the more the server's population will grow over time.

All these brave new worlds have yet to prove themselves but I wouldn't really want to decide for any of them which way they should go on this issue as that would tend to reduce the variety available and of course it's not my decision anyway. Find what ap*peals to you and there you go, just like an orange, or even banana.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

On 03/01/2016 at 8:36 PM, sphygmo said:

there is no point of playing any game - we all should go outside and spend more time in real life.

Your irony is showing.

I guess some people prefer to have costs to dissuade casual players who come, stake a claim and then leave after only partially building something. Those who are paying would be more committed to at least finishing their project.

Sklotopolis has a great way to deal with abandoned deeds.  Players report them and the GMs handle it as appropriate to each situation.  Very simple, and easy to do when the server has attentive GMs.

• Like 1

My server is nice, no drama and no admins deleting your deed because you're gone for a week or someone doesn't like you! :)

It makes sense if your server is big enough. What wouldn't make sense is for silver to be as expensive/as difficult to get as in wurm online.

Edited by Elktazahjr

This is probably my own ignorance, but is deed cost on by default?  I know you can turn off upkeep, which I've done,  but how do you turn off deed cost? 

Well if the server owner is paying for Server space, the money needs to come from somewhere. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lolabelle said:

Well if the server owner is paying for Server space, the money needs to come from somewhere. 

Agreed with Lola on this one

Capsalot might have deed upkeep enabled, but that is easily solved with killing a couple wolves and bears every couple of days. The bounty you get from them is more than enough to fund a deed. I went out hunting today to get my 70FS finally and came back with over 3 silver.

I'm not sure how other servers set up their deed upkeep, but to me, that is pretty much the easiest way to do things and still have it where someone doesn't just come to the server, drop a deed for free, and then disappear only to have it take up space that could be used by someone else.

upkeep may be required to make sure that palyers that left will et their deed removed. otherwise a server may sooner or later be full with only dead deeds.

The only issue I have is that the current Wurm unlimited doe snto offer any merchants for freeedome aligned players.

On 03/02/2016 at 6:28 PM, Pinchaloaf said:

Capsalot might have deed upkeep enabled, but that is easily solved with killing a couple wolves and bears every couple of days. The bounty you get from them is more than enough to fund a deed. I went out hunting today to get my 70FS finally and came back with over 3 silver.

I'm not sure how other servers set up their deed upkeep, but to me, that is pretty much the easiest way to do things and still have it where someone doesn't just come to the server, drop a deed for free, and then disappear only to have it take up space that could be used by someone else.

Found a server the other day with deed upkeep enabled. Set up a settlement near a spider lair and let the Templars deal with the spawns from it. If I need extra dough, I just take a swing at a spider and then lure it to the settlement for the Templars to despatch. Never needed to grind for coins at all to pay the upkeep.

Edited by Tryst