Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

2015: A year in review!

2015review.png

It's been a HUGE year for Wurm, and as we stand on the edge of entering Wurms 10th year since leaving beta, we decided to take a look back on the year that it has been, and look at how far Wurm has come!

Tapestries!

One of the first updates of 2015 Saw the introduction of tapestries and with it, a very special Artwork. Hosted by Redbaron_Johan, a competition was held for players to submit their pictures, screenshots and drawings for a chance to win a permanent place in the world of wurm as one of the tapestry designs! Faeldray was the eventual winner of this competition with the screenshot of a priest praying in the snow.

New walls!

The next big implementation was a whole variety of new wall types, allowing players to further customise their home on the internet, making it more and more unique with these amazing window options  including wooden balcony, timber jetty, and stone oriel.Shortly after the ability to rotate walls was implemented, allowing those strange looking corners to be resolved easily.

New Deity!

The ability to ascend to godhood was one of the big draws of the Epic cluster, and in April this year, Tosiek was the first to achieve that goal, many players converted to the new player deity and with Nahjo and Nathan quickly following suit, we entered a new era of Gods and priests in wurm.

Elevation map reset!

The month of March saw a poll on Elevation regarding a reset of the map and with the poll being in favour of the reset, a new map was created. The first map of its kind, it went through multiple tweaks and phases as we allowed players to review each draft and in mid-April this map went live

Bridges! Stairs! New boat models!

An update in May saw one of the biggest additions to wurm since multi story housing, the long fabled bridges! Since their implementation, players have blown us away through their use, using them as ramps, balconies and even arches for cathedral style buildings!

Another long desired feature was the addition of staircases for multi story houses and with the new code in for bridges, this became possible. We've since seen the introduction of wide staircases, as well as spiral staircases, giving huge amounts of customisation options!

The new boat models came with some awesome improvements to both seeing while sailing (no more navigator!) as well as sitting. This opened up the door for future updates regarding some until now, redundant chairs, but more on that later.

Freedom Treasure Hunts!

One dark evening Spellcast got a terrible idea; Torment players with riddles, puzzles and challenges with the promise of treasures untold at the end. Naturally players jumped at the idea of being driven insane, and since then a tradition has been born, each hunt getting more and more difficult, twisted and puzzling yet players keep coming on. We worry about you lot sometimes.

Summer of bugslaying!

The summer holiday period meant little in terms of new features, but massive in terms of bug identification and removal. Named the summer of bugslaying, the developers focused on a slew of long term bugs, and ensured that they stayed dead.

Java 8!

An upgrade to Java 8 allowed client developers to really get cracking on some much anticipated changes, ability to remember window positions, as well as the client windows themselves having the characters name on top, helping those who operated multiple accounts immensely.

Dragon Armours!

Wearing dragons skin never looked so stylish, with the addition of Green, white, blue and black scale, as well as Red and Blue drake hide, this came with the addition of six new dragons, and unique hunting just got bigger.

Trade channel!

The trade channel opened up a whole new avenue for advertising, no longer having to search amidst chat channels, a channel dedicated to trading, buying and selling meant the process was much easier, and indeed allowed players to share their wares in ways they couldn't before.

New permission system!

After a long process of testing and feedback, Tich put the finishing touches on the permissions system, creating a system that is much more flexible than the old, and allowing features such as naming branded animals, and remote management.

Wurm Unlimited!

October saw one of the biggest news announcements in the history of Wurm. A private server version of Wurm Online was coming to Steam. Wurm Unlimited opened up many opportunities, from mods and  custom maps to players being able to solve long time mysteries with access to server code, this truly changed the face of Wurm and brought Wurm to many new people, with over 20,000 sales!

Amphoras, kilns and smelters!

Towards the end of the year Amphoras were released, being large capacity liquid containers, with their own speciality kiln for firing pottery. Around this time came another long desired feature,m the smelter. Allowing the smelting of 100 ore at a time, this created a much faster process, and power miners everywhere jumped for joy (not too high though, they were in mines).

Bulk container changes!

Another massively popular change was the removal of the 5% volume loss from Bulk containers on deeds with more than 30 days upkeep. This allowed greater ease of storage, but became even better when hot items were allowed to be stored, meaning no more waiting for them to cool!

Passing of Oracle

Unfortunately early December brought some sad news, our former Head Game Master, and long beloved player Oracle/Barakus had passed away in November. Many players and staff shared their condolences for the loss, and many stories were told regarding Oracle and players experiences with him. Commemorations came from both players and staff, with the announcement of the Fog Spider, and a beautiful monument in Xanadu by his former alliance members.

Course plotting!

Another big change for sailing, with the ability to plot courses across server borders, no longer reliant on predetermined borders, the world of Wurm was truly opened up for exploration, allowing players to visit long far off lands they couldn't due to travel times before, as well as opened up Chaos for many players.

Sitting!

Of course a long awaited immersion feature came to be. With the ability to sit in chairs, Wurmians all over the world finally got to rest their poor weary feet, This update earned its own screenshot thread, with many excited players trying to prove they could relax the most.

The little things.

Of course, over the year dozens of little improvements have come, including:-

• Priest spell keybinds

• Charcoal from hellhounds

• The halter rope

• Remote team invites

• Chicken Bird Cages

• Oven sizes

• Black rams and sheep

• Different cheeses

• Glimmersteel and Adamantine armour models

• And many many more.

It's been a thrilling and massive year for Wurm, and we'd like to thank you all for sharing this year with us. I personally can't wait to see what 2016 has in store, and I know you all feel much the same. Feel free to share what your favourite update of 2015 was with us too!

Until then though, keep on Wurming!

-Retrograde and the Wurm team.

• Like 25

What is that all?  LOL

Seriously a wonderful year in Wurm!  Just ask my friends and family who haven't seen me all year because I'm too busy grinding in Wurm!

I can't wait to see what 2016 brings!

• Like 1

The year started out pretty terribly with all the stacked bugs that made the game nearly unplayable, but lately it's started to go in the right direction again so 2016 is off to a good start

• Like 3

i emerged from my apartment today, and saw a newspaper that said 2016??? The last year in wurm has passed so fast, thank you for the great times!

• Like 1

It truly has been a whirlwind of a year, both in and out of Wurm. I'm grateful to Rolf and the developers and volunteer staff that help make and shape the game to become what we have today. It's come a long way, but we all know there is still plenty of room to grow. I don't know about you, but I'm excited for all the potential developments in Wurm in the coming 2016 year!

• Like 1

yes i am glad to have made my way back to wurm in 2015 hopefully 2016 will be a fun year thanks for the updates oh and what ever happened to our christmas picture at the impalong?

Wow just looking at hoe hard Rolf and the Staff worked this year just implies how dedicated to this Community, players and to the overall games welfare brings warmth and joy into my heart. So i would just like to say thank you from my family me and my alliance as i am sure they are very pleased with your wonderful work this year! You guys deserve a break. Can't wait for another amazing year with this comunity and will enjoy what further improvements will be implemented next year and years to come. 

Thanks, Zilbar And Family

Aeris complaining, of course. lol  This year in Wurm was quite wonderful indeed.  In fact, with all of the updates and features I'd say this was probably the most historic year for Wurm Online so far.  Great job team!  Looking forward to the momentum heading into 2016.

OH HONEY KISS ME! <3 so sexy

Wow, the forum backup managed to post my post three times, my timing was the best ever to click send it seems :D

Edited by Aeris

5 minutes ago, Aeris said:

OH HONEY KISS ME! <3 so sexy

I think I rather prefer ranting Aeris over this. This is scary. :P

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Keenan said:

I think I rather prefer ranting Aeris over this. This is scary. :P

You and me Keenan, let's change the world! You and I, TOGETHER!

2 minutes ago, Aeris said:

You and me Keenan, let's change the world! You and I, TOGETHER!

It's like you left your account logged in on a shared computer and someone is taking full advantage.

Just now, Slickshot said:

It's like you left your account logged in on a shared computer and someone is taking full advantage.

As if I would ever! Come on baby, don't you love me a little? Let's bury our strife and rejoice in glorious hugging!

+1 to that, are you WITH MEEEEEEEEEEEEE EY?! :D

• Like 2

Forgot to mention the BROKEN PROMISE OF ADDING NEW CLOTH.

FYI THE ITEMS ARE IN THE GRAPHICS.jar ALREADY!!!

GOSH

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Damn Canadians

YES, OMG

PS. <3

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Slickshot said:

This year in Wurm was quite wonderful indeed.  In fact, with all of the updates and features I'd say this was probably the most historic year for Wurm Online so far.  Great job team!  Looking forward to the momentum heading into 2016.

Good work, team

Great work team!
Looking forward to 2016!
Keep on Wurming

True, it was really a great year of great work, very stilish and very creative with huge effort, when i think of other years, this was just
FLASH !!!!

Keep up the great job ! :wub:

A great year indeed. Here is to an even better 2016!

Good year indeed.

I dont think its possible to make 2016 filled with as much big changes but i hope i am wrong =)

Id like to see a few new things like:

- Doctors Wagon (bigger then a small cart, smaller then a large cart. driven by 1 horse).

- Gypsy wagon (with inbuilt stove and bed)

- Possibility to sleep on ships

- And some more designer features when it comes to beds like bed rolls and hamocks

But i now there is a plan already so i guess we will have to see whats coming =)

This was indeed a good year for wurm can't wait to see what is going to come in 2016. ^_^

A wonderful year for Wurm- thank you to everyone involved whether they be part of the development team, art team or other staff members. Thank you also to the players whether they be in-game or in the forums.

I must say that my favorite change was the permission tool. That was one of my biggest complaints. 

Now if only we can get an in-game timer to show when we can meditate, pray or preach that reads the server time, not the client time.