Sign in to follow this  
Lichbane

Lakes, Rivers, Waterfalls

This may be a major mod, but is there any chance of getting lakes above sea level, waterfalls and flowing rivers?

• Like 2

I don't see a mod for this being made.  Two reasons.

First, as you mentioned, it's a major overhaul of the game and would take quite some time.  If the game was updated it would possibly need a complete rewrite depending on what changed.

Second, the dev team is already contemplating lakes, rivers, waterfalls in the future... I'm sure most modders would rather leave something that major to the official dev team.

I love the idea though, I really hope we can see it some day! :D

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Second, the dev team is already contemplating lakes, rivers, waterfalls in the future... I'm sure most modders would rather leave something that major to the official dev team.

I didn't know that.  That's REALLY good news!  Thanks. :)

I would like to (if I may) encourage the dev team to do this. It would add I new level of realism and beauty to the Wurm worlds. I don't know if there's any similarity in the Wurm programming to Minecrafts programming but, if there is I could suggest some Minecraft mods that might give some help to this idea.

My understanding is that the only reason it's not possible at this time is because water only exists as a base elevation. The maps you see in-game are just represented by a pixel map - one pixel is one tile, then textured in the client. "Water" at this time isn't a tile, just an effect added at "zero elevation." When you dig a dirt tile down to 0 height, water just appears. It can't be "placed" like other things.

I am greatly looking forward to seeing this as a feature in the game someday too, though. It would be absolutely amazing, but I also recognize the amount of work this would require in alterations, and the complexity it would add to the game... Boats, for example - how would they handle a waterfall? Or rivers - are all boats just able to scale upward slopes the same? Do type of boat, QL, etc. affect it? Water flow is also an issue, since as I said it just exists as a baseline at 0 elevation... If you were to dig a slope right next to a body of water not at 0 elevation, how would it flow?

It's doable I'm sure. But as someone in this thread suggested, probably no job for a modder outside of the core engine devs. :)

Rivers/lakes/waterfalls, and actual weather effects, are probably the two things I want to see most these days.