Sign in to follow this  
Darmalus

Highway Tile

Suggestion: A new  "Highway Tile" for community highways that could only be created by GMs. This tile would have a unique appearance and name to set it apart from player made roads. It would also not be able to be altered by players. Existing protected roads would be converted to this new tile.

This would have the advantage of setting the highway apart and making it easy to tell you are on a path that (presumably) leads somewhere and not on the ancient paving of a long-dead deed. Good for both new players and veterans with a poor sense of direction.

This would make cleaning up old dead deeds easier, since there would never be any question of what was allowed to be destroyed or not. If paving decay ever comes back it would (presumably) also make that step easier, since it would be a blanket "all off-deed paving decays at this rate" with a single exception for highway tiles.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 1

In my opinion, this is a terrible idea.  The idea behind Wurm is having a truly player-created world.  Having large strips of land that are unable to be altered would be a nightmare and raise a bunch of fuss.  I say a massive -1.

Edited by Slickshot

Slickshot, altering highway tiles is already against the rules, so arguing it from that perspective is a little mistaken.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Slickshot, altering highway tiles is already against the rules, so arguing it from that perspective is a little mistaken.

I've been playing this game for 7 years; never once have I been in trouble or received a warning for altering a highway.  The reason why, you ask?  Okay I'll tell you:  because I never do it maliciously, I always make minimal changes and clean up my work, and I ask permission if it involves stretches near anyone's property.  

Basically, terraform responsibly and there's no problems to be had.  

• Like 3

No need for more limitations to what already exists in the sandbox.

• Like 1

I think it'd be cool if they just added more textures with varying decay levels for each road type, You'd know if you was on a old road based on the look of the road maybe it would be missing stones/grass growing over it.

1 hour ago, Maximillian said:

I think it'd be cool if they just added more textures with varying decay levels for each road type, You'd know if you was on a old road based on the look of the road maybe it would be missing stones/grass growing over it.

We already have this old roads are flat paths through the forest with trees and grass growing on them, on occasion the odd paving may survive.

4 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

We already have this old roads are flat paths through the forest with trees and grass growing on them, on occasion the odd paving may survive.

Sorta but it's not very nice looking sadly.

i really think the highway rule as is sucks and needs to be gotten rid of or fixed to make sense .
ideas that would fix the highway rules would be as follows
if you want to have a highway then have it like a deed that cost money
or let highways be a bonus that we want like connecting highways to main starter towns links every ones stores up so every one can c every thing and trade with any one connected to system even if that means the whole server
if not just remove the rule

big - 10 on this modified tile idea

Edited by shaidien

This would have the advantage of setting the highway apart and making it easy to tell you are on a path that (presumably) leads somewhere and not on the ancient paving of a long-dead deed.

And a year from now, when you have quit the game, these new "highway" tiles will lead to YOUR long-dead deed.  This, in addition to the fact that it makes the GM team's life alot harder, I'm gonna have to -1 this one.

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

And a year from now, when you have quit the game, these new "highway" tiles will lead to YOUR long-dead deed.  This, in addition to the fact that it makes the GM team's life alot harder, I'm gonna have to -1 this one.

Which is different from the current state, where immortal roads lead to hundreds of dead deeds? This would actually reduce the number of dead roads, since anything not a highway tile would be decaying away finally.

-1 on this. The current rules will allow to remove or alter the roads if the deeds it is connected to no more exist. With this permanency a GM involvement would be needed in each and every time. Or would the permatiles automatically poof when the deed it is connected to is gone like bridges where the houses pop on the end?

Sandbox is a sandbox. I have to say I've asked GM approval even upon modification of 3 tiles of a highway - but let the unused and no more useful ones decay into oblivion.

I can't help but feel there are more productive uses of a GM's time then to rebuild something that we already have rules in place for.

• Like 1