Sign in to follow this  
Hammer

Suddenly Crashing after hitting Play [Resolved]

Game has been running fine (even earlier today) but now after hitting Play it crashes immediately. I get the following log:

Spoiler

Unexpected crash while playing The error was: <glGetString(GL_VERSION) returned null - possibly caused by missing current context.>

It's possible you might figure out what's wrong from the log file below, but if you can't, post the full log on the wurm online forums, and someone else might be able to help you.

Contents of console.log:
Time is Thu Dec 31 19:13:58 EST 2015
Running client version 3.99m

=== System information ===
Executing from C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\
Operating system: Windows 7 (arch: amd64, version: 6.1)
Java version: 1.8.0_66 (Oracle Corporation) <http://java.oracle.com/>
Jvm version: 25.66-b18 (Oracle Corporation) [Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM]
Available CPUs: 8

etc etc

Setting up Collada Model Loader
Executing C:\Users\USERNAME\wurm\configs\default\keybindings.txt
Translating legacy key PAGE_UP to PRIOR
Translating legacy key PAGE_DOWN to NEXT
Translating legacy key ENTER to RETURN
Word filter loaded: 23
Starting job manager with 7 worker threads
>>> Launch queue entry exiting.
Execution aborted at connection 0, iteration 0
Run time 0s, local time Thu Dec 31 19:14:36 EST 2015
Destroying game window
====== CLIENT CRASH ======
Unexpected crash while playing
java.lang.IllegalStateException: glGetString(GL_VERSION) returned null - possibly caused by missing current context.
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.GLContext.getSupportedExtensions(GLContext.java:230)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.ContextCapabilities.initAllStubs(ContextCapabilities.java:5441)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.ContextCapabilities.<init>(ContextCapabilities.java:5863)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.GLContext.useContext(GLContext.java:374)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.ContextGL.makeCurrent(ContextGL.java:195)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.DrawableGL.makeCurrent(DrawableGL.java:110)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.makeCurrent(Display.java:706)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.makeCurrentAndSetSwapInterval(Display.java:1025)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:852)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:757)
    at com.wurmonline.client.hzBVpzQFBz.BILF1iey6X(SourceFile:456)
    at com.wurmonline.client.hzBVpzQFBz.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:99)
    at com.wurmonline.client.BILF1iey6X.run(SourceFile:1471)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

if any of the stuff between those two sections of the log are important I can paste them in here too.

Thanks for any kind of help--it's just strange to me that it happened suddenly when I have changed nothing and everything is up to date as far as I know.

If the computer has not been rebooted since this started, reboot in case that fixes something,. 

If that does not solve it, I would like to see the full log because it stops short of certain sections that explain the problem and also give some hardware info, what is listed sounds like probably a graphics display OpenGL issue, I would like to see what driver you are using and what display adapter. It may also be the driver is corrupted (reboot may fix, or new driver from links below), or that graphics.jar is corrupted (verify packs see below), or worse case scenraio that the hard drive and/or game files are corrupted (CheckDisk and reinstall Wurm if all else does not work, but try that LAST). Please check also for an error log named HS_ERR_PID with todays date and also include that in full. 

You can check graphic pack integrity in the wurm launcher > packs > verify packs

Let me know if you have a laptop with "switchable graphics" (Intel for battery saving and nvidia/radeon for gaming). It's very possible if windows updated your java path, that it switched back to the intel card.  If you have a laptop with "Switchable graphics"  there is an easy fix in the graphics control panel. See this post if you have NVidia.  See this post if you have Radeon.

Check for driver at the appropriate link below, do NOT rely on windows to update the driver, as microsoft tends to ignore opengl gaming drivers and your issue seems tio be with OpenGL. 

* edit: looking at this thread from Minecraft forums,  with the same error code of   The error was: <glGetString(GL_VERSION) returned null - possibly caused by missing current context.> they say it is caused by low memory, perhaps too many background programs, they suggested rebooting and in every single thread I found with the same error, rebooting solved everything.   If your system has less than 4 gigs of ram, you might need to lower ingame settings PLUS abstain from using other prhrams while gaming. However if you have an 8-core CPU, my guess is you have lots and lots of ram and that is not the issue.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Screen_Shot_2015-07-05_at_2.40.13_PM.img

Who am I to deserve such an organized and knowledgeable post? Thank you so much for taking the time.

I will try the reboot first. I appreciate you answering me so quickly and on NYE. If there is a way I can donate to you in game I would be happy to.

I am running an dell desktop with nvidia graphics and quite a few programs including Adobe Premiere Pro, though my project is very small. I'll see what a reboot does.

Probably Adobe sucked up all avail memory, it likes to do that even on computers with tons of ram ^_^ Best not to run that one alongside Wurm. 

If reboot + no Adobe ruunning does not fix, it's possible Dell has a very old graphics driver (dell usually does) so I would try going direct to NVidia for an updated driver. They have an automated checker that does all of the complicated parts for you (may want newest java so if you prefer sticking to version you have now, which should be fine for wurm and it's newer than mine ;)  then use dropboxes to select the right dirver). 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Thanks a ton for the help. It's almost a shame that it was such a simple fix, though I'm glad it was. I recently did that with nVidia and supposedly I have the newest Java according to their website. So I was aggravated when everything seems to be in order then the game suddenly stop working. Thanks for your time and happy New Year!

• Like 1