Sign in to follow this  
Frack

Off-deed Building Decay Rates

5 hours ago, Clatius said:

lmao, and people wonder why it's hard to retain people. With this attitude why stay? 

There is no attitude it is the truth there will always be off deed decay so the only way to stop that is to build on deed.   

Edited by Kegan

On 12/30/2015 at 5:51 AM, Eobersig said:

Here's how I think a reasonable decay mechanic should look like:

• Get rid of the need of materials (planks and bricks) to repair structures. Alternatively make a single brick or plank remove all damage on a fence or wall segment. With the need for materials lowered repairing of off-deed structures becomes a much easier job. 
  • Since repairing has now been made much easier we can determine whether something is abandoned by a simple mechanic: every off-deed item or structure counts as abandoned if it didn't get a repair action for 1 RL month. Thus to keep off-deed items and structures going all you need is to visit them once a RL month and repair them. The idea here is that a structure is abandoned and should decay when nobody maintains it.
  • Get rid of the old mechanic to determine an abandoned building by owner not being online on server. That mechanic allowed to keep structures on the west coast going for too long by the owner just logging in at the east coast once in a while.
  • An abandoned item or structure decays very fast. Once it counts as abandoned (i.e. not being repaired in a RL month) it will get 50% damaged after a 2nd month and will get 100% damaged (i.e. removed) after a 3rd month. In practice this means that every off-deed item or structure that is not actively maintained (by repairing it) will be gone after 3 RL months.
  • Ql of a structure is taken into account for bashing and/or catapulting but has no effect on size of decay ticks.

Ah I started off reading this thinking YEAH! but then you lost me with the monthly repair thing. I don't want to monthly-repair anything. I would deed every single spot I care about, but I can't because of perimeter shapes. I do think the decay rate should be determined by whether or not the person logs into the game. If they're logging in, they care about their stuff to some degree and it can decay slowly. But if a person has totally abandoned the game, get rid of that stuff!

Let us deed what we want, let us join two differently-shaped deeds if we want to, and just make a rule about allowing a road between them.

9 minutes ago, LorraineJ said:

... I do think the decay rate should be determined by whether or not the person logs into the game. If they're logging in, they care about their stuff to some degree and it can decay slowly. ...

That is sadly not true. Plenty of people in Wurm like building stuff, they build at one place, they then move on and build at another spot, and another one and so on. Nothing wrong with that, it's how they like to play the game. But it becomes a problem when all these old spots are still slowly decaying away more than a year later.

• Like 1

Being able to repair buildings without using materials would make it super easy for people to defend structures being attacked on chaos, so maybe not such a great idea.

IMHO, decay should be a game mechanic that ONLY APPLIES to off deed structures, period.  Those who pay to play should be afforded decay immunity, meaning on-deed decay should not exist.  Contrariwise, off-deed decay should exist because it is the only way to clean up the game world for the next player to claim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eyesgood said:

IMHO, decay should be a game mechanic that ONLY APPLIES to off deed structures, period.  Those who pay to play should be afforded decay immunity, meaning on-deed decay should not exist.  Contrariwise, off-deed decay should exist because it is the only way to clean up the game world for the next player to claim.

Yes, I would accept rapid off-deed decay of buildings in exchange for halted decay of on-deed items.

I once dropped a pile of mallet heads in woods; they were low quality and I was amazed how long they lasted. Last night I discovered that a fully repaired 70ql stone wall on an on off-deed building had taken 3dmg in a 24hr period.

Bridges have a mechanic that slows/prevents decay when it is actively used, but not for a building serving as a bridge support. If it is joined to a bridge then it should share that bridge's decay rate. 

Maybe someone can 'care for' a building as we can already do with animals. 

• Like 1

Okay - it's been 5 days since I built my off deed building I mentioned in the initial post and:

[16:08:34] QL=85.546295, dam=9.112043

At this rate I expect the building to be completely gone before the end of February if no maintenance is done on it - that's a little too much decay in my opinion.  In a one year period of time it will take me 3 times the resources needed to build it to maintain it.  Compare this with a high stone wall I built several years ago and repaired to 0 dmg last January:

[16:09:29] QL=71.038185, dam=22.867039

This wall section is NOT near a Magranon altar.  At this rate I don't expect to have to do any maintenance on it for another 2 years and it will be standing in some form or another until December 2018.  This roughly translates to buildings decaying 18 times faster than fences. 

I own 20 deeds in this game and have 47 buildings that are not on any of those deeds - mostly stables, safe houses and transfer stations. With the exception of the building I just built, all were built before the decay rate change.  Deeding these additional structures is cost prohibitive and a waste of good real estate that can otherwise be used by other players.  2 of these buildings are undeedable as they are on 1x1 islands.  Am I the only one who thinks the decay rate on buildings off deed is a bit too fast?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frack said:

I own 20 deeds in this game and have 47 buildings that are not on any of those deeds

:huh: 47 buildings off-deed.  To borrow a phrase from Budweiser...

tBj1wCN.jpg

• Like 1

First off this opinion is for an Epic Cluster point of view!  I believe that decay rates off deed likely need to be different for Epic and Freedom,

As Freedomers are the ones that get all bunched up over old abandoned building's being eye sores yada yada yada...

And I believe most of us on Epic are really sick of the Crazy High Decay rate for our off deed Gate houses, bridge towers etc....  And I think there is a strong difference in opinion about this game mechanic based on if you are in Freedom or Epic, that this is an example of we need to lower the decay on Epic and leave it be on Freedom!

Furthermore I am SICK AND TIRED of the Extra Decay inside of my Deeds perimeter BS...  If I could turn off the Perimeter Decay I most certainly would!!! If I could get rid of the perimeter I most CERTAINLY WOULD!  But I am forced to have a free 5 tile perimeter.... Gee Thanks alot!!!!

• Like 1

On 12/31/2015 at 11:23 AM, Eobersig said:

That is sadly not true. Plenty of people in Wurm like building stuff, they build at one place, they then move on and build at another spot, and another one and so on. Nothing wrong with that, it's how they like to play the game. But it becomes a problem when all these old spots are still slowly decaying away more than a year later.

Ok, how about a proximity thing. If you have a deed of x size y distance from the building, it decays slowly. I WANT to deed these buildings, I just can't. Also, some people like myself build small safe houses along long roads that don't have towers, or the towers are too far apart to help people on the road. I can't be fixing these things monthly.

• Like 1

The off-deed decay rate has become crazy high. If it's raised with intentions to make players pay more, i don't think it will work. I'm a pretty new player and all i have off-deed is a farmhouse, but i have to repair it monthly now, as it decays at least 10 times quicker than fences do (which is especially ridiculous since some of them are built inside wall arches). Deeding it would mean a 2 times increase in the deed size (let alone the fact that i'm not a mayor) and is obviously a no-go.

It would actually make sense to have the house walls' decay speed set back to the similar values as that of the fences, but maybe activate the quick decay or allow us bash down houses whose owners were not seen for a year.

• Like 1

Okay - so they say they've fixed the decay rate for off deed buildings owned by active players.  It's been 10 days since I built this building and we have the following damage:

[14:53:14] QL=85.54531, dam=21.32522

I have repaired this damage and we will see what the new decay rates are:

[14:55:54] QL=85.47094, dam=0.0

I'm not sure what the definition of active player is but I'm on almost every day and doing some simple math with the /playtime read out I see that I'm on an average of 388 minutes or 6+28 hrs a day.

• Like 1

Update:  rechecked the damage on the off deed building, and after 2 days I have:

[09:37:52] QL=85.47094, dam=0.03509965

Much more reasonable decay rate on an off deed building wall - Thank you for readjusting.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2015 at 7:04 AM, Kegan said:

Deeds are the way to combat off deed decay so it is relevant to this topic and if you are that invested in an off deed house then i would think it would be worth 1s a month to keep it safe and decay free. (it is to me anyway) 

As far as the off deed decay rate goes i think no building should last longer then three months without any repairs to them. I guess that means over 1 damage per day BUT i do think there should be a progression in that decay so that the first bit of damage takes longer and gets progressively worse as it goes. I have already posted a base suggestion in another thread but i guess i will post it here too.

In this example of the idea the maker gets about two months before the house starts taking any significant damage. (I just used .25 as an easy way to figure it and it takes longer then three months in this example but i am sure the developers would tweak it a bit and find what they think is good and add in all the factors they want to it like ql..etc)

0.25 decay a day (0-10 damage) = 40 days
0.50 decay a day (10-20 damage) = 20 days
0.75 decay a day (20-30 damage) = 13.3 days
1.00 decay a day (30-40 damage) = 10 days
1.25 decay a day (40-50 damage) = 8 days
1.50 decay a day (50-60 damage) = 6.6 days
1.75 decay a day (60-70 damage) = 5.7 days
2.00 decay a day (70-80 damage) = 5 days
2.25 decay a day (80-90 damage) = 4.4 days
2.50 decay a day (90-done)      = 4 days
------------------------------------------
Total: 117 days (almost four months) 

mine then is bugged and never going to go away. 1x1 slowly rotting on my perimeter making me unable to expand.