Sign in to follow this  
Frack

Off-deed Building Decay Rates

Six years ago I built my first stone building - it was QL35 and it lasted almost 8 months - five years ago I built several 1x1 stone buildings at QL 55 and they lasted several years before damage levels hit 60.  6 months ago I built several buildings QL 75 and they lasted less than 6 months before decay levels hit 60 at the same time I built some stone walls at QL 75 and they have only 22 damage.  2 days ago I built a stone building QL 85 and it already has 3 damage.  I left the trowel on the ground outside after building this building and it still has 0 damage.  it doesn’t make much sense that a stone wall that isn't part of a building lasts 3 times longer than a stone wall that is part of a building if their QL's are the same.

Why is the decay on buildings so much higher than any other object save dirt in the game?

• Like 4

That is interesting indeed.. I built also few walls about a month ago and right now the situation is: [08:53:44] QL=88.74679, dam=37.23127

Those are bridge supports, buildings with 12-13 story high stone walls. When that building decays, the bridge will also be gone. If they want to make the decay higher, just make the repairing bit less tedious. Currently it is ridiculoous.

11 minutes ago, Cista said:

Because abandoned buildings cannot be bashed.

Abandoned buildings have/had already increased decay rate anyway.. when the owner has been offline(or even on other server) for some time (month+ ?). That is no reason to up decay rate on all the buildings.

I believe they increased the house decay rates when people always complained there was nowhere to deed on servers like Deli.

Decay of off-deed items (including structures) is a difficult beast because different people have different ideas of what the decay should be. And it's a moving target as well. Occasionally we get players that think that structures should decay very soon when the structure belongs to another player and should decay very slowly when it's his own building. :) Couple that with intended faster decay when in the perimeter of another deed and the rather poor mechanic to determine an abandoned building (determined by owner not online on server for some time) and we get all sorts of decay that sometimes feel right and sometimes feel wrong at the same time.

Here's how I think a reasonable decay mechanic should look like:

• Get rid of the need of materials (planks and bricks) to repair structures. Alternatively make a single brick or plank remove all damage on a fence or wall segment. With the need for materials lowered repairing of off-deed structures becomes a much easier job. 
  • Since repairing has now been made much easier we can determine whether something is abandoned by a simple mechanic: every off-deed item or structure counts as abandoned if it didn't get a repair action for 1 RL month. Thus to keep off-deed items and structures going all you need is to visit them once a RL month and repair them. The idea here is that a structure is abandoned and should decay when nobody maintains it.
  • Get rid of the old mechanic to determine an abandoned building by owner not being online on server. That mechanic allowed to keep structures on the west coast going for too long by the owner just logging in at the east coast once in a while.
  • An abandoned item or structure decays very fast. Once it counts as abandoned (i.e. not being repaired in a RL month) it will get 50% damaged after a 2nd month and will get 100% damaged (i.e. removed) after a 3rd month. In practice this means that every off-deed item or structure that is not actively maintained (by repairing it) will be gone after 3 RL months.
  • Ql of a structure is taken into account for bashing and/or catapulting but has no effect on size of decay ticks.
  • Like 4

My problem is basically only this, bridges decay was lowered if i remember correctly(bridge was done half a year ago roughly and damage is this [13:55:15] QL = 63.06474, dam=2.3338785.).. buildings are one way to support the bridges (even better way compared to terraforming, because of flexibility), but buildings decay was increased at (almost) the same time. So basically the hard work of our neighborhood will be gone in few months, if we one day would decide to go on a break. And very least we are facing a huge maintenance on this project.. which in the long run is even worse than was building it..

wurm.20151230.1347_zpsdaq350kw.jpg

wurm.20151230.1352_zpsmke9qbzu.jpg

The typical wurm solution, to fix abusers of a feature(i assume it was done to "fix" buildings, which were used for landhogging), the "solution" screws everyone, including those who just use (not abuse) the feature.

Edited by rixk
  • Like 1

The decay rate was severely raised for some reason, supposed to be fixed now.

Our longhouses, freshly repaired about a month ago, at 92QL, have around 65 damage on them at the moment.

Deed what you want to be decay free and build bridges that do not take buildings and you will never have to worry about decay again. 

21 minutes ago, Kegan said:

Deed what you want to be decay free and build bridges that do not take buildings and you will never have to worry about decay again. 

kind of silly to deed a 1x1 holding shed or a 1x1 safe house in the middle of nowhere.  Besides this topic is specifically about off deed buildings.  Please stay on topic.

1 minute ago, Frack said:

kind of silly to deed a 1x1 holding shed or a 1x1 safe house in the middle of nowhere.  Besides this topic is specifically about off deed buildings.  Please stay on topic.

I disagree. If you want a safe house in the middle of nowhere then either deed it or maintain it to keep it from decaying. Your choice. And the poster was very much on topic.

7 minutes ago, Eobersig said:

I disagree. If you want a safe house in the middle of nowhere then either deed it or maintain it to keep it from decaying. Your choice. And the poster was very much on topic.

And I disagree with you - the topic is Off-deed Decay Rates so anything to do with deeds is really off topic

Deed it or lose it eh? This now how off deed management is done for buildings? Regardless there was a patch for the super decay rates yesterday so hopefully we can go back to repairing our little off deed huts and enjoy them again.

Deeds are the way to combat off deed decay so it is relevant to this topic and if you are that invested in an off deed house then i would think it would be worth 1s a month to keep it safe and decay free. (it is to me anyway) 

As far as the off deed decay rate goes i think no building should last longer then three months without any repairs to them. I guess that means over 1 damage per day BUT i do think there should be a progression in that decay so that the first bit of damage takes longer and gets progressively worse as it goes. I have already posted a base suggestion in another thread but i guess i will post it here too.

In this example of the idea the maker gets about two months before the house starts taking any significant damage. (I just used .25 as an easy way to figure it and it takes longer then three months in this example but i am sure the developers would tweak it a bit and find what they think is good and add in all the factors they want to it like ql..etc)

0.25 decay a day (0-10 damage) = 40 days
0.50 decay a day (10-20 damage) = 20 days
0.75 decay a day (20-30 damage) = 13.3 days
1.00 decay a day (30-40 damage) = 10 days
1.25 decay a day (40-50 damage) = 8 days
1.50 decay a day (50-60 damage) = 6.6 days
1.75 decay a day (60-70 damage) = 5.7 days
2.00 decay a day (70-80 damage) = 5 days
2.25 decay a day (80-90 damage) = 4.4 days
2.50 decay a day (90-done)      = 4 days
------------------------------------------
Total: 117 days (almost four months) 

Edited by Kegan

I have noticed this as well with an off deed building that we are using as a barracks while we build our labyrinth deed. It had taken minimal damage for about the first 6 months. The damage was around 8 or 10 recently when i checked. Then about a month later the damage was at 60-70. I repaired the whole house and then checked the next day and the damage was already at 3-6. I didn't notice anything in the patch notes that would have indicated this change. I do sympathize with all the people who have built epic bridges who now have to do weekly maintenance on all the buildings just to keep them operational.

I hope that this was not intended and that it gets fixed soon.

• Like 2

Just now, McGarnicle said:

I have noticed this as well with an off deed building that we are using as a barracks while we build our labyrinth deed. It had taken minimal damage for about the first 6 months. The damage was around 8 or 10 recently when i checked. Then about a month later the damage was at 60-70. I repaired the whole house and then checked the next day and the damage was already at 3-6. I didn't notice anything in the patch notes that would have indicated this change. I do sympathize with all the people who have built epic bridges who now have to do weekly maintenance on all the buildings just to keep them operational.

I hope that this was not intended and that it gets fixed soon.

It was apparently fixed yesterday. You've reminded me to check on my bridges now, and the support buildings (80ish QL all around) are at about 70 damage.

If people want the land the houses are on they can deed the surroundings and put the perimeter over the houses, no need to argue that the decay should be increased to benefit their want. If you want the place you already have the means to acquire it, and unless you do place a deed you're no more entitled to the spot than the person who put down the undeeded house. If you want to settle somewhere that is obviously not unsettled since the houses are being maintained regularly enough to not go down then you'll simply have to either a ) wait or b ) place a deed. You're not entitled to everything your eyes fall upon, this aint the lion king.

Having said that, the upped decay was apparently a "bug", so assuming they fixed that I guess people's bridges should be fine again.

• Like 2

I performed a test after it was shared that a fix was made of the off deed decay yesterday by repairing some stone walls on an off deed structure.  After 24 hours there was no visible damage to them, so it appears the super speedy decay bug has been fixed.

Eobersig came up with a pretty good suggestion to apply decay rates to off deed structures (fencing included). The repair timers with associated materials are absurd as they currently stand within WO. With this attending to as suggested once per month with a timer of say 5 seconds maximum this indicates that the individual is intent on keeping them existing.

I used to maintain some off deed buildings within my Local area strictly for other players benefits but I have finally had enough of doing work that has little benefit to myself, so all off deed buildings I am just letting decay away now. Perimeter walls that Trolls bash down I no longer replace either. Make those decay faster and I won't build anymore of them either. The time involved to do these things I can no longer justify in any way now that WU has much faster timers to do these same tasks.

Yea, I follow the on deed building approach to eliminate decay, as well as eliminating most all of my deeds too to reduce time in WO better spent in WU. Continue on this heavy decay and absurd 30 second timers to repair 10 damage and you will just drive players to the more reasonable timers within WU. Nice to finally have this option no longer being "held hostage" here.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 1

yesterday:  [06:28:00] QL=95.00621, dam=6.066158

today:  [15:53:58] QL=95.00621, dam=9.1008835

The house in question is stone and less than a week old.

3 damage in not 36 hours?  Ugh.

Not buildings but anyone have  their meals decay from 0  to  80 or more,In less than a day on 2 days old meals in barrels and hotas.

Updated information.. When I checked at 24 hours, no decay on the stone walls, at 29 hours 3.05ish decay on all four walls. The walls in question are made of stone varying in ql between 35 and 52.

20 hours ago, Frack said:

Six years ago I built my first stone building - it was QL35 and it lasted almost 8 months - five years ago I built several 1x1 stone buildings at QL 55 and they lasted several years before damage levels hit 60.  6 months ago I built several buildings QL 75 and they lasted less than 6 months before decay levels hit 60 at the same time I built some stone walls at QL 75 and they have only 22 damage.  2 days ago I built a stone building QL 85 and it already has 3 damage.  I left the trowel on the ground outside after building this building and it still has 0 damage.  it doesn’t make much sense that a stone wall that isn't part of a building lasts 3 times longer than a stone wall that is part of a building if their QL's are the same.

Why is the decay on buildings so much higher than any other object save dirt in the game?

the people in the below thread, complained about it and a specific area, they wanted to overtake, and a dev helped them by modifying things. 

i'd go there and thank them for their complaining. ;)

Why couldn't they simply link the Friends list of "Last Seen" ... for that house owner and work a decay formula off that..say 5-10% increase per month decay based on owner last seen info. ...that would allow new players a chance to spend time playing the game instead of repairing their New, low quality wood houses and bashed fences from griefers. Seems more geared towards a push to get people to buy Deeds instead.

20 hours ago, Kegan said:

lmao, and people wonder why it's hard to retain people. With this attitude why stay?