Sign in to follow this  
tryst49

My first impressions.

Pro.

Great crafting system that makes you create parts and put them together instead of making the end product in one piece.

Good handling of terraforming  Flatten, level and dig that puts you in control of how the terrain looks at the end.

Nice Map size that allows you to find a spot you like and forces you in most cases to explore for certain resources you can't find locally.

Nice variety of things you can build/make.

Con.

SLOW! Walking speed is the fastest you can move to begin with and almost any weight slows you down even more. There's no Run toggle. With such a large map, most of your time is spent walking.

Combat sucks which is just as well since I don't particularly like combat anyway so I just reduce the aggressive creatures to minimum.

Terrible RNG generations that often means your chance percentage rate is vastly exaggerated. over 500 tries to make 100 parts for a boat with a 50% success rate... Seriously?

No map pointer... Got lost more than once. Over 2 hours for what should have been a 15 minute boat ride because the coastline doesn't always match the map.

Lack of true offline mode, it would be easy to have the client connect to a local server on 127.0.0.1:[port number] like Ark and Rust can without having to go via Steam.

• Like 1

I would 100 percent would like to see this changed:

• Lack of true offline mode, it would be easy to have the client connect to a local server on 127.0.0.1:[port number] like Ark and Rust can without having to go via Steam.

I think a RUN/DASH that uses STAMINA would be a good addition. Traveling light would allow you to run farther than travelling encumbered, thus encouraging light armors and inventory management. 

There is a minimap mod that you might want to check into. Opinions in the general community about "live maps" for the WO servers are generally heated and diverse, making a change anytime soon for vanilla game, unlikely. 

Most of your gripes have always been like that, and unless Rolf has an apifiny, it will stay like that.

the RNG is fine, at higher ship building skill ypu will get more successes.

SLOW! Walking speed is the fastest you can move to begin with and almost any weight slows you down even more. There's no Run toggle. With such a large map, most of your time is spent walking.

You can ride a horse. Just use your rope you start with to lead any wild horse then ride. Faster than walking.

Combat sucks which is just as well since I don't particularly like combat anyway so I just reduce the aggressive creatures to minimum.

Well as you gain skill you get additional options - special attacks and defenses, based on weapon.

Terrible RNG generations that often means your chance percentage rate is vastly exaggerated. over 500 tries to make 100 parts for a boat with a 50% success rate... Seriously?

Admittedly the RNG does seem off from the percentages given in the crafting window.

No map pointer... Got lost more than once. Over 2 hours for what should have been a 15 minute boat ride because the coastline doesn't always match the map.

Well it is more realistic than having what amounts to a GPS with a marker. And maps aren't always accurate in real life, especially if you are not talking about the modern world. Some games don't even have a map.

Lack of true offline mode, it would be easy to have the client connect to a local server on 127.0.0.1:[port number] like Ark and Rust can without having to go via Steam.

Of course they could make it playable without requiring Steam at all, but a lot of games on Steam now use their authentication to prevent piracy. You only need to be connected to validate the client, then you don't need to keep the internet connection (say if you are using a dialup or tethered to a mobile device). In the past I have played games that required me to have my original disk to play, or had to answer a question  from looking at some paper that came with a game (usually very hard to read because they were designed to not be copy-able back then). So compared to those I don't mind. Still I can understand where some people might want to play when they don't have any internet connection.

Maps suck big time. They tell you nothing. No roads on maps.  Roads go nowhere. No signs. Compass garbage. No transportation. I started on Xanadu in New Spring, got to Esteron(not sure how I got there. Died, respawned in New Spring. Lost everything, even the pissed assed 2 measly silver for prem membership.

Now, because of crappy maps and interface, will probably take me the 2 months of membership just to get back to corpse.

I like the game concept but get frickin real. Game is not worth time, effort or money

7 minutes ago, Bellerphon said:

Maps suck big time. They tell you nothing. No roads on maps.  Roads go nowhere. No signs. Compass garbage. No transportation. I started on Xanadu in New Spring, got to Esteron(not sure how I got there. Died, respawned in New Spring. Lost everything, even the pissed assed 2 measly silver for prem membership.

Now, because of crappy maps and interface, will probably take me the 2 months of membership just to get back to corpse.

I like the game concept but get frickin real. Game is not worth time, effort or money

Interesting. Most of us here have no problems with the things you have said. If you want the world given to you, I see you'll be looking elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Bellerphon said:

Well I guess I`m just not as smart as most of you.

Things are tough at the start, then it gets easier. Watch videos, read guides, the game is great if you give it the time.

6 hours ago, Bellerphon said:

Well I guess I`m just not as smart as most of you.

Has nothing to do with "being smart".

Wurm is pretty easy to understand and master.

• Like 1

What's the rush?

Part of what I like about Wurm is the sense of immersion.  I have a tent, I have some tools... the initial goal is survival.  May not cover a lot of ground at first, but I need to forage, botanize, etc. anyway.

You can ride a horse at Body Control 21.  Various ways to level that, but you can also set characteristics on your home server to start at 21.  Our family server is set that way.  On public servers, I like the higher level of difficulty and more time required to get such perks.

Good news though, you can drive a 2 horse(or oxen or bison) cart long before that.

You can also ride a cow from the very beginning.  I know, it's embarrassing man.  You can keep riding without any stamina left though, and the weight you're carrying will be mitigated.  There's also no greater motivation to level up Body Control than spending some time on the back of a cow, imho.

Boats.  Yes, going at a piece of wood with a mallet won't yield immediate results but there's another way.  Want some more storage in that cart?  You can't load storage crates until Body Strength 23, which will take time, but you can build rafts!  A cart can hold 7 rafts, those rafts can hold all kinds of stuff, meaning your cart can now hold much more than the 100 item limit.  Building and improving those rafts will level your shipbuilding skill, which will make building a boat much easier.

I recently tried a mod called Livemap.  Check out the Mods sub-forum for more info, but personally I didn't like the GPS aspect above ground.  I'm used to WO, and getting lost was a fun part of the challenge for me.  Having said that, I love that with WU, it's to each his own.  I do like seeing a layout of my mine for planning purposes though.

For maps showing roads, towns, etc.

The mythmoor server (mythmoor.com) has a map on their website of the server that updates with roads, deeds, etc.  I'm not sure how they do it exactly, but if that's important to you, it's possible.

If you're using an in-game map, the original or the modded custommap to show your server's unique map, you can set annotations on it in-game.  There's 3 layers, your own personal annotations, as well as village and alliance so your friends can let you know where that utmost vein is.

Wurm's complexity, and the relative harshness of its world, is a feature, not a bug.  No shame in looking for a game that isn't quite like this.  Just as I wouldn't be happy in a hardcore pvp game... though that's possible in Wurm too :) 

Can't help but agree with you that the fighting mechanics could really use some love.  A more visual approach with visual feedback would be great.  Personally, after many years of WO though, I'm getting more into combat and learning how the mechanics and strategies work... PvE only so far, but having more fun as I learn.

(sorry for the wall of text :) ) 

Within Wurm Unlimited the individual servers have various travel speeds per riding animals, carts, wagons and boats. This all depends upon the individual that maintains that server, as they have various ideas as to how fast players should be able to travel on them. There is much more variety offered on these servers than WO because of this, so it will be easier to choose some option that is closer to your desires.

I know of one server on which the highway system is very extensive ,which makes getting lost a lot harder to do and yet you can more easily travel throughout the lands to remote places. This is also tied into an in-game map which has many of the deeds placed on it, so they make good reference points as well. I think on some servers they even auto-list every deed that is placed.

Also, there is indeed a simple way to make a "Run" keybind that you can then just hit that to toggle it on and off. Actually I only use run and don't even have one for walking speed.

And another thing to note is that body characteristic requirements to do things like ride horses, load cargo, etc within Wurm Unlimited are set by the individual server Administrator and may not conform to the standard requirements within Wurm Online. WU is a much more flexible game in these respects in which various requirements are not set absurdly high to avoid discouraging others from playing on their servers but rather the opposite to encourage them to do so.

Just log onto a number of these different servers and you will find some of these key points are a good deal different from one to the next. Then it is up to you to discover the one you enjoy the most.

=Ayes=

What is this "run" you speak of? I have only ever come across it as a by product of getting stronger when using GM powers to increase my characters strength, being annoyed with being able to carry so little before becoming overloaded.

Some items are grossly overdone as far as weight goes. Ores and stones and such so it means in the beginning, you can carry only 2 max before becoming severely overloaded which slows you to a crawl. Since it often takes 3 or more lumps of ore to refine and turn into an anvil for example, you can't get away with carrying only 2 at a time in many cases. You require an anvil to make nails for a cart so there's no getting around it... That's providing you can actually FIND the "nearby ore" that you've discovered while prospecting.

Since you can build a fire inside a mine just melt the ore to lumps and then carry those out - they are much lighter. If you can only carry 2 rocks or ores then you are already carrying too much stuff. Make some containers to store stuff, make a cart to haul stuff. Once you find that first iron vein, and make some lumps there, make the anvil then make nails you need for a cart. Maybe make some more nails or ribbons you need for making some storage containers as well.

13 hours ago, tryst49 said:

What is this "run" you speak of? I have only ever come across it as a by product of getting stronger when using GM powers to increase my characters strength, being annoyed with being able to carry so little before becoming overloaded.

Some items are grossly overdone as far as weight goes. Ores and stones and such so it means in the beginning, you can carry only 2 max before becoming severely overloaded which slows you to a crawl. Since it often takes 3 or more lumps of ore to refine and turn into an anvil for example, you can't get away with carrying only 2 at a time in many cases. You require an anvil to make nails for a cart so there's no getting around it... That's providing you can actually FIND the "nearby ore" that you've discovered while prospecting.

I forget exactly what it is called but when you're out prospecting as a new player, you can get some iron on the surface of a tile that says iron is nearby.  Think it's called "Rummage" maybe?  Been a while.  In any case, with a new character I often use that method and a nearby fire to get some basics such as a small anvil and so on.  Something to do at night when traveling isn't safe.

Your first impression might be summed up as frustration?  Two things:

1)  I think it'd be helpful (for me anyway) to maybe understand what your first expectations were when you downloaded Wurm Unlimited?  What drew you to it?  Did it remind you of another game you've played that you thought it would be "more like?"  Just would be interesting to know how your first impressions might not have lined up with your initial expectations.

2)  Not necessarily related to you, but I've noticed on various WU servers new players starting with no knowledge of the game at all.  I mean zilch.  In those cases, I think downloading the free Wurm Online client and running through the tutorial would be really helpful.  For the more social ppl out there though, I've seen them ask on the global channel if there's a village they can join to learn how some things work, and get tips when wanted.  Ain't nobody joining my village, but there actually are some really friendly people out there.

can't help but say:

Ever play any of the DayZ mods?  If someone's initial impression was, "zombies keep hearing my gunshots and swarming me!  This game's annoying."

What would you tell them?

I played both Ark and Rust. I enjoy survival games and saw this one was a "single player version" of an existing online game. As I thought it would be mostly complete since it was an existing online game, I thought that it would have fewer bugs and problems than an Alpha release. It seems I was wrong since I've already come across the problem of being able to plan a building and finalise the plan but don't seem to have the permission on my own server, my own settlement and being the only player on it to build the actual house walls etc. That's not the only bug I have encountered though.

My initial expectation were not high but I did expect a lot more content as far as "helpers" (minimap etc) as standard rather than as a mod since the game has been around for a while.

Edited by tryst49

First, i have no idea why you got so many Bugs, since i don´t have seen just 1 you have.

And not having a minimap is part of a true "Survival" Game.

I won´t call any Game with Minimap a Survival Game.

Edited by Caduryn
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, tryst49 said:

I played both Ark and Rust. I enjoy survival games and saw this one was a "single player version" of an existing online game. As I thought it would be mostly complete since it was an existing online game, I thought that it would have fewer bugs and problems than an Alpha release. It seems I was wrong since I've already come across the problem of being able to plan a building and finalise the plan but don't seem to have the permission on my own server, my own settlement and being the only player on it to build the actual house walls etc. That's not the only bug I have encountered though.

My initial expectation were not high but I did expect a lot more content as far as "helpers" (minimap etc) as standard rather than as a mod since the game has been around for a while.

Mods have only been allowed since WU. Things like minimaps have been frowned upon by us wurmians. Even when The map was introduced, a mark map of where you were was left out. It's a bit easy when you can see exactly where you are.

A lot of players that play wurm online opposed to WU are content with the way it is...other look to WU where things can be change to suit themselves and more and more mods are being made to cater for easier or more convenient play styles. This is why i have nothing against WU, as WO can stay truer to its original form.

to many games have simpler ways of playing than wurm does. however i love wurm for its complexity and realism as it is quite close to that of real life situation. Love to know how one would survive in the real world without a mini map to open. a map mmm ok go to the rainfoorests in south amrica and tell me if your stuck in middle of it you will know exactly where you are.  or middle of saraha desert?  thats how wurm is set . it is set to survive and thrive not easy to do so as it attempts to be close to realism as possible. by all means gives you a lot of things to tweak to your desires for the game and you can add mods to make life easier . thats your preferance i haev no arguements with that never shall and wurm allows this. I personally love the original set up style . Exploration and hard to get things without skilling up..

just my pennies worth

Just had a run of extremely bad luck. Can't go near my house now because a hellhound has taken up residence there. Died 3 times trying to coax him out by aggroing him and running away to get him to follow me but he just came back again a few minutes later. worst part is I am too far from the local kingdom to make a settlement so I respawn a million miles across the map and spend an hour or more hoofing and swimming back again. Had to abandon it for now and hope the hellhound goes away.

The skills and weapons you get at the start are just not enough, he can kill me long before I can even make a dent on him with a crappy short sword and only 10 in fighting skills. Even tried making a bow so I can keep my distance and wear him down and it doesn't fire anything, got a quiver full of hunting arrows and the bow is strung and I have selected Ranged but the only way I can find to use the arrows is to manually throw them. I have to go right up close to use the bow and my character hits the hellhound with it doing practically no damage to it at all. Even the archery target can't be targeted to practice on. If I try manually throwing the arrows at it, it just gives me the "Examine" info on double clicking the target.

2 hours ago, tryst49 said:

Just had a run of extremely bad luck. Can't go near my house now because a hellhound has taken up residence there. Died 3 times trying to coax him out by aggroing him and running away to get him to follow me but he just came back again a few minutes later. worst part is I am too far from the local kingdom to make a settlement so I respawn a million miles across the map and spend an hour or more hoofing and swimming back again. Had to abandon it for now and hope the hellhound goes away.

The skills and weapons you get at the start are just not enough, he can kill me long before I can even make a dent on him with a crappy short sword and only 10 in fighting skills. Even tried making a bow so I can keep my distance and wear him down and it doesn't fire anything, got a quiver full of hunting arrows and the bow is strung and I have selected Ranged but the only way I can find to use the arrows is to manually throw them. I have to go right up close to use the bow and my character hits the hellhound with it doing practically no damage to it at all. Even the archery target can't be targeted to practice on. If I try manually throwing the arrows at it, it just gives me the "Examine" info on double clicking the target.

And? Whats your Point?

All i can tell you is: Learn how the Game works.

If you can´t survive the Wilderness, stay near save Areas.

A Hell Hound is a very strong Creature, totally normal you can´t kill one with "Noob-Gear".

Its not the Games fault that you run straight to the Endboss ^^ (generally spoken for every game)

Btw a Bow works just fine, you just ned to know how.

Edited by Caduryn

6 hours ago, Caduryn said:

Btw a Bow works just fine, you just ned to know how.

Well gee, thanks for that bit of helpful (not) information.

I have also run into one of those hellhounds once before, right outside a starter town so they are not limited to the wilds.

Edited by tryst49

Presumably, you've heard of Wurmpedia.com?  If not, it's an awesome resource to be intimately familiar with.

So you want to know how a bow works, because your first impression is that it simply doesn't.  Me, I'd go to wurmpedia and search for "Bow."  I'm clever like that.

That would lead me to http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Bow

From that, I would see the line, "See the archery page for more. "

You'll notice the word "archery" is underlined.  It's a link!  Brilliant!  Click on it and it leads you to http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Archery

From there, I would read. 

I think what perhaps a number of people are starting to imply is that coming in with first impressions, having made little effort to educate said impressions, eventually gets old.  I've found that many, many people in Wurm Online and Unlimited are happy to answer questions because we love this game and love to share it.  Asking questions will yield way more mileage than derision based on assumptions.  Assumptions that clearly this game must be exactly like every other cookie-cutter game out there, all of which weren't even a twinkle in any dev's eye when Wurm was already being actively developed.

• Like 1

Best bet for newbie aggro assistance is to build within responding range of a Guard Tower somewhere. On the server of Sklotropolis they are build all along many of the highways with large wilderness areas around them. Even on the WO servers I know many spots near Guard Towers and the starter Villages where this same situation/protection is available. Up to you to find them of course.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

That's great until you are on a PVP server. Then you want to be out of the way so people have to search for your base. Offline raiding is a big problem on many PVP servers and having a base that's within easy reach of most settlements and such means you become a target for every OR player going. I learned that the hard way playing Ark and coming back online to find my base all but destroyed, my tamed dinos dead and my stuff all gone, many hours of work gone overnight.

My base on Wurm is difficult to see unless you're up fairly close, difficult to get to even if you know the best route and quite defensible.

I finally got rid of that hound by luring him off to another island. Managed to finish the outer walls of my base so if he comes back, he can't get into my base at all.

@Reylaark

I did say these were my FIRST impressions. I have not been playing the game long so I don't know everything. When I put the sword on automatic, it fights for me but the bow doesn't (go figure). If I put it on manual, I'd only have to select the angle of attack and shield bash etc. I don't have to select the sword I have equipped. (I equipped it FFS, I shouldn't need to select it as well if I'm in combat).

If I had to go to Wurmpedia for everything, I would spend more time reading that than I would playing the game. Then it would be Wurmpedia playing the game, I would be just a proxy.

Edited by tryst49