Sign in to follow this  
Cista

Good tidings :)

As many of you know, we have lost around 25% of the Wurm Online premier population since the announcement of Wurm Unlimited.

BUT in recent weeks that dropoff has in fact stabilised, and today, when I look at the premium player graphs - 

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

- I see for the first time a marginally higher number for the daily average than for the weekly average, indicating that the population is fully stable and we MIGHT even start to see growth.

So, what do you see as the most important factor in this new development? Xmas season? Game improvements? New players coming over from WU, or returning players?

And where will WO go from here?  

Edited by Cista

People might be tired of Fallout 4, Tomb Raider, and all those AAA titles that got released the last couple months.

I think a little bit contributing is people preming for xmas gift, but with the caliber of present I foresee less subbing next year. Like it or not people do sub just for the present and if they are average they wont sub extra characters. Also, I don't know about others but impalongs are a cause to prem up, I did an extra priest just to get some sermoning in. That might be just me though.

A big thing for wurm is alts, make it attractive to have more alts again and you'd see a lot more prems :)

• Like 1

There were a few dragon fights recently that had folks subbing up alts as well. I assume once the one month prems run out they will be returned to anonimity. But good to see positive signs :)

At this point the only reason I won't return from WU to WO is because of its ridiculous pricing. That's 8 euros a month excluding anything extra that you will need and only one character. I wouldn't pay that money for a triple A game, why would I ever pay that for wurm online? Seems like they're even turning a blind eye to the forums. What is up with this eye shattering layout?

Edited by Elktazahjr

My prediction: The change in focus is going to cycle out old veterans, while bringing in and keeping new players at twice the rate.

If this new Wurm focus of punishment =/= challenge continues, and it's advertised even a little through small review website articles, and cheap banner advertisements, I predict Wurm will double it's current active population average by Q4 2016 (1200 instead of 600) with the mass majority of the increase coming from brand new players, over returning players. This will bring it back to levels where it was two years ago.

A more focused professional advertising campaign would net even better results.

Edited by Dairuka
The forum design still sucks though.

2 hours ago, Elktazahjr said:

Seems like they're even turning a blind eye to the forums. What is up with this eye shattering layout?

They turned to look at it, then turned blind because of it. After that all they could do was turn a blind eye to it.

I have thus solved the mystery!

i think it's too early to call it at this point. Factors that are likely playing a role:

- Increased pace of WO modifications especially those that address quality of life for the players

- Recent Q&A session with Rolf which provides a feeling of being heard and cared about. Also buys time by giving people a reason to prem one more time since things are about to change for the better

- Increase in number and intensity of community events

- Significant reduction in customer impacting visible issues being argued about (things like Nahjo priests, Fountain pans, Freedom grieving)

- Xmas season including gifts

- Slowdown of roll-outs of new content from WO to WU

- One kingdom on Epic has premiumed a large number of sermon alts to allow their priests to increase faith at a very fast rate via constant sermons. Think sermons that are producing .7 - 1+ faith per sermon

- Perhaps people have more free time right now with school and work breaks

- Slower mod development in WU currently - although LiveMap, CreaturesMod and many others still provide good reasons for WU

- Recent Q&A session with Rolf which provides a feeling of being heard and cared about. Also buys time by giving people a reason to prem one more time since things are about to change for the better

These need to happen more often. Communication like this does so much for the community. Leting us know where wurm going and what coming next ahead of time, makes a hell of a difference. The community knowing they are being heard...well...priceless.

People need a change of games at times , so they can appreciate a return to old ones.

4 hours ago, Milosanx said:

These need to happen more often. Communication like this does so much for the community. Leting us know where wurm going and what coming next ahead of time, makes a hell of a difference. The community knowing they are being heard...well...priceless.

I couldn't agree more. Although, earlier in global I had someone argue with the following: "Of course you guys like the changes, they were your ideas."

Biases aside, the recent changes aren't universally met with fanfare, despite being extremely good for Wurm in the long run. (50ql swords for new players.)

At the same time, in response to the veterans who dislike the aspect of 50ql swords for new players, I can't stress the importance of removing the "exit opportunity" from Wurm for new players. Giving players the capacity and the tools necessary to survive in the wild long enough to make their first house, will convince far more people to stay than otherwise. I would go so far as to say, perhaps they should increase the QL of the armor and shield a little more. As a merchant who sells these very things - I am not in the least afraid of this affecting the market negatively. Instead, I see dollar signs in my eyes as new players get a taste for combat, and suddenly decide they want a new set of armor and a fully enchanted 90ql weapon.

Changes to the Targeting User Interface to help new players get a better idea of whether or not they are a challenge to enemies would also be a great addition. Were you to base it entirely off of fighting skill and purposely overestimate the power of the enemies. You'll set up situations where new players will feel powerful for defeating a supposedly "much more powerful opponent" simply because they were carrying better weapons and armor, with better weapon skill than the estimation perceives.

A one-time server teleportation would also be a great addition, allowing new players who are dead set on keeping their username from being caught in the trap of choosing Xanadu, only to change their mind five minutes into the game and decide they want to start on Release because that is where their friend picked by accident.

Advertising the great works projects that people make in game would also do wonders to increase the prestige of veterans, while also showcasing to new players just what Wurm is capable of now. The occasional screenshot every weekly report is nice, but you could make a whole advertising campaign around this facet alone.

Lastly, improving the Wurmpedia to be more usable, accessible and focused predominantly on helping new players get into the game, would do wonders for new players starting out. Advertising Wurmpedia and the Forums to new players with purple dialogue alerts in their local chat for as long as they have the new player status effects would also increase traffic to Wurmpedia. You'd be surprised how many players hear about Wurmpedia or the Forums for the first time through a random conversation on Global four days after they've started. This must change.

I know people who have played Wurm for as long as they have hate these ideas, because "No true scotsman" ever had it easy when they started out. However, Wurm's focus should be to grow first and foremost. You might make the early game easier, but the bulk of the gameplay is always going to remain challenging, satisfying and rewarding to those who really get into it.

Edited by Dairuka
Woozle Wuzzle.
  • Like 1

Another idea just popped in my mind - give the fresh accounts options on what "level" to start: Survival, Hard, Relaxed. Basic gear and skill would be the current for Relaxed, Survival can be quite a bare hand experience with no skill buffs.

Let the new players choose which path they want to follow in the early game.

Could introduce a one time only "Restart character" option (to stop later occasional griefing possibility with shared passwords: for a limited time say 72 ingame hours) where the character on the same name could be wiped and restarted as fresh, not losing the dearest character name. This of course includes the above one time server teleport.

Ohh, and once a new tutorial is made - show the players the difference in a low ql and high ql combat gear. I was first shocked seeing my newly created alts performing with 80ql chain and 80ql weapons.

Eh short term player counts could be impacted by any number of factors, especially this time of the year.

Not that discussion is not useful... Useful when detailed, viable solutions come up anyways.