Sign in to follow this  
Faetyl

Christmas?

Does WU have the ability to set server time as "Christmas" like WO? (aka enable Santa, Christmas trees, snowmen, and a gift)

So I finally got to checking in on this for everyone in WU!

The time at which Wurm considers it Christmas is based on your server's time. If you can decompile code, you can find this in WurmCalendar.class in the isChristmas() method. Note that the months start at 0.

Edit: I never actually mentioned when! 17:00 on December 23 til 06:00 on December 29.

Loading and deleting Christmas should happen automatically during the running of the game. You do have to clear the reimbursed flag on all players for them to receive a gift though, so shutting down and doing a SQL query to accomplish this is a must.

Edit: I wasn't going to post the SQL statement, but I will - with one caveat. BACK UP YOUR DATABASE OR ELSE!  - It's a rather harmless statement, but I'm always nervous when instructing people to open their databases up and tweak things. :)

In wurmplayers.db:

UPDATE PLAYERS SET REIMBURSED=0;

As for where Santa spawns, it should be at either the defined spawn locations (what you've set in the database) or at permanent settlement locations you have created (i.e. starter towns). If you haven't done either, he may not spawn.

There is one glitch in WU Christmas: Santa's graphic was mismatched. It was fixed in WO, but there won't be a patch out for WU until after the holidays. So you might see a rather evil looking Santa, but he should still function normally. The gift coded in for WU is last year's yule goat. I'm sure this could be modded  - look in ItemBehaviour, action() - OPEN is action # 3, and the gift template is 175 or 651.

Anyway, if you'd like to see what is in store for 2015, I recommend popping in as a premium player on Wurm Online and asking Santa for your gift. :)

• Like 3

Hm.... seems way to complicated.... specially the .class thing.

No idea what to do with that.

The "class thing" is just a nod to those admins who like to know how things work. It's not required...

"Not required....", then how do i tell the Server then it is Christmas time?

From the post:

Loading and deleting Christmas should happen automatically during the running of the game.

This does depend on your server's time, and you must have permanent settlements (starter towns) or spawn points defined.

If it doesn't load, you should check your logs to see if there's any other issues preventing it. I should also note that "Test" flagged servers do not get Christmas.

• Like 1

Well ok, its a rented Server from Citadell Servers, lokated in Düsseldorf, Germany.

Hm.... if i summon a Santa, he tells me i allready got my Gift.... if i drop a Christmas Tree, he tells me it is not Christmas....

Complicated procedure many things to adjust. Even the year is hardcoded, Rolf didn't expect Christmas to happen every year 

8 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Complicated procedure many things to adjust. Even the year is hardcoded, Rolf didn't expect Christmas to happen every year 

Care to elaborate? If there are issues I've missed, I'd like to update my main post and see about fixing said issues for next year.

Thanks very much for the thorough explanation Keenan, it makes complete sense.

I'm hearing reports that the "right click Christmas tree" receive gift isn't working in WU. (I haven't had a chance to check this myself however, so forgive me if this is inaccurate.)

Not very step by step there.....so...

do we have to edit only the reimbursed thing?

or do we have to go in and edit the entire time thing?

and server time should be the computers time right?

deleting xmas......hmm sounds interesting....clarify in a simple way maybe?

UPDATE PLAYERS SET REIMBURSED=0;

where?

opening that with SQL gives a huge list of choices....

do i just go to execute Sql and type that in?

Edited by Uberknot

From what I can find it isn't going to work without some coding on someone's part. The Christmas check is hard coded for last year. However that isn't the only issue. Even when I reset the reimbursed flag to 0, as soon as I log any character in the flag gets reset to 1. I only got Christmas partially working by resetting the server date back to 2014. This at least makes it so the game thinks it is Christmas right now, but the reimburse flag makes it so none of my players can get gifts. I have a pretty limited set of people playing so I can just spawn gifts for them but it would have been nice if someone had at least put a little effort into WU Christmas this year.

Yeah.... everything posted so far is not really helpfull, i have no idea what to do, even reset reimburst to 0 does nothing....

I tested where he spawns on a testing server I run when I want to mess around. There is only one village on the server. The Santa for that Kingdom spawned right on the marker for that village. The other two Santas spawned at random places, with Evil Santa being so far at the edge of the map that "You see dark shadows below the surface." No Santa would give gifts. They all stated that the character had received a gift this year.

EDIT: A GM can spawn the Yule Goat from last Christmas but I could not find the new Reindeer from this one. So it does not appear that this Christmas is even in WU.

Edited by Audrel

Kind of sad they didnt make this happen right as well as leaving the Santa graphics all messed up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Uberknot said:

Kind of sad they didnt make this happen right as well as leaving the Santa graphics all messed up.

I have to say that for the first time I have a reason to be disappointed in the support provided WU. Not pointing a finger at Keenan here, I appreciate his efforts in this thread.

Christmas could have been another win for WU and Wurm just by someone thinking ahead about 3 - 4 weeks ago and figuring out that roughly 20,000 people who play WU would like to have fun with Christmas too.

The current live code still has 2014 hardcoded for the christmas check. The new beta branch has a change that uses the current year for the christmas check but i'd not run it on live servers yet.

Is there still a need for a few days of christmas even if it's the 27th already?

The christmas/reimbursement code is very broken. Whenever a player logs in the reimbursements are checked to give the GM his wands and the flag is set to 1 again. So no player can ever receive a gift.

I'm surprised it works for WO

EDIT: The new isBeforeChristmas check with the current year will make it impossible to open old presents fom Jan 1 to Dec 24. The check is probably obsolete anyway because old gifts give the old item and new gifts can not be obtained before christmas.

Edited by ago

Do we have to adjust the server date to be December 25th for this to work?

Wurm Christmas was from dec 23 5PM to dec 29 6AM. Now you'll have to change the server date.