Sign in to follow this  
PassiveMiniroll

No more goats/deers/snowlanterns etc

I hate to be the one who doesnt appreciate these gifts (even though a gift is better than nothing). BUT  in comparison to previous gifts these latest ones are absolutely useless.

Why cant we finally get capes/pauldrons/KING GEAR. etc?

Do we need a yule raindeer thing? no.

I think people would appreciate the things that have already been promised ages ago...

For a comparison to something in real life, who else gets tons of 'smellies', lynx shower gel etc etc. Whilst its nice to get them, you would much rather have something else.

Edited by PassiveMiniroll
  • Like 3

Hey man if you've got a fear of reindeer that's okay

but +1

While WO is hemorrhaging players one would think Rolf would give out something that is more useful to convince players with current premium accounts sitting on a fence and as a incentive to bring back people who have let there premium expire.

Sure its nice and glowey good work art team, but its like getting soap on a rope or new underwear for Christmas.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

Nobody likes socks for Christmas... well, tbh, i'd even play Wurm without Xmas presents... then again, they'd be so much more appreciated if they were useful in a way or another... thanks, it's decorative and adds to the festive mood ^_^

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KyleBooze said:

entitled much? at least you got something

yo guess you didn't read the first line of his post

8 minutes ago, Stik said:

yo guess you didn't read the first line of his post

Read it; still think it reeks of entitlement.  Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, KyleBooze said:

Was waiting for a brown nose post like this. Thanks!

• Like 2

And here comes the whining about the gift...I swear Rolf could give everyone a scale set and someone would ######.

• Like 6

Suggestions for future holiday presents:

- For Christmas, something like a stocking which function as a BoK, but has the capacity of something like a pottery bowl so very few items can fit in it. OR something of its nature.

- Patterned Shields! All factions and kingdoms have had their own shield design in the past, I think a shield which is useful (large metal), with a cool looking pattern would give people more of an incentive to care for it and use it, because its useful!

- Different designs and unique types of pauldrons (see 40k Space marines for some awesome designs)

- Shoes? why do we have the same pair of shoes all the time? cant we get some shoes which give a speed bonus or increase traversability so you can walk on more than 23 slope? i.e mountain boots (but give slower normal speed)

There is so much more potential than what we have gotten the last few times... I mean c'mon, get creative. If I had the time I would be making up some models in blender for us to use!

We need something which gives a meaning, usefulness, not some utterly worthless Reindeer which twinkles...

• Like 1

If items like this were brought back in, imagine the money which would be made because people want these items?! how many accounts would specifically get premmed up for awesome items alone?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KyleBooze said:

Yes, yes we are entitled, we pay to play-test this game, something nice and useful for Christmas would be a great gesture.  

I find it oddly amusing that Rolf & Co had a Q&A to hunt for ideas to improve the game, some of which they have implemented already (kudos), and within a month they miss one of the few easy opportunities to increase the number of subscriptions.  Considering xmas gifts are free to create and disperse, an amazing item could have generated more than $10,000 US and the playerbase would have been ecstatic as we forked over our money.  Many of us would have paid for extra accounts to obtain more christmas presents and several "retired" players might have come back....

• Like 2

In the past the xmas gifts have been too powerful and caused massive balance issues. There was a lot of complaining then (especially the dang farwalker ammys) about OP gifts and demands that gifts be decorative and have no ingame use....

I only note this because it is sort of humorous to me to see it come full circle.  I think its a nice gift. An amazing item that people would pay to sub extra accounts for just increases the divide between those who have lots of disposable income and those who don't. 

With that said, giving some sort of special paint that could be used on an EXISTING shield or weapon to change it to a new model without affecting the stats of the original item would be an interesting idea for a future gift. 

• Like 10

meh, paint is still deco and useless imo.  Can't you be creative and give us something useful that doesn't break the game?  We are paying you to entertain us.

An amazing item that people would pay to sub extra accounts for just increases the divide between those who have lots of disposable income and those who don't. 

So the game is losing subscribers and you don't want fair ways for the game to generate revenue, interesting view point that only a volunteer could have.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 1

Yes I agree things like farwalkers and boks were over powered.

As long as the next item has a functional ability, is useful, provides a purpose and incentive to use it, THEN its worth having.

Customization is also nice sometimes, take seryll for an example, it provides more aesthetic looks and a gives a new type of armour worth having. Just like the challenge rewards, worth having because its a good bonus.

Just so that whatever the item is, is not unbalanced or completely useless, like say... 70ql compasses, i'm sure there are lots of people without decent compasses!

make a suggestion madnezz... how useful does something have to be to qualify... how much advantage or detriment does it have to give to break things...  Me, I loved my farwalker ammy, I don't PvP tho... the amount of fixes, complaints, arguments and drama it spawned on PvP was wild, and often pure chaos. For me, it was mildly useful to let me get places a bit faster (in the days before horses) once in a while. 

I liked the sculpting wands too, ( i still have 11 of them, no charges left, but i have them)  They also had some issues, allowing slopes to be created that caused issues with raiding because the slopes could not be modified afterwards due to skill limitations iirc. Now they are far less useful than they were originally...

My point is that it is easy to demand a "useful item that does not break the game" yet far far harder to create one. Especially in a game with as many options and ways to affect the world as wurm has. Purely decorative is probably best for such gifts, otherwise once a year wurm just turns into an item-shop / microtransaction / buy your skill boost game... which is one of the things I personally detest about the way the majority of online games have gone.

I did not mind the deer, have a herd of them now, but i had really hope for something with a little more personality even annoying like signing off-key.    Something really cool would have been cross the deer with a yellow potion so different model/thing every day...something to add spice.  

As far as a useful item that i think would rock would be a container that holds one thing and increases its ql very very slowly over time.  thought of it looking at positive decay logic in wu code.

I would appreciate getting a gift that I use, not something that gets put in a corner of a room or inside a chest and forgotten about.

Special tools or unique bags, something that the majority of the player base would make use of. I bet a lot of players would enjoy a back pack that had a weight of 1.0 as one suggestion, and that would not be game breaking.

Something like 'paint' for changing a shield model should not be considered a gift idea, that should be a game feature.

• Like 1