Sign in to follow this  
weem

"Weemdale" Settlement series (Mythmoor Server)

Hey all!

I have a new video series following the development of our new settlement on the Mythmoor server I thought I would let you know about! Myself and a few friends moved there recently from a private server hoping to play with more people and have a place where we could experience more of the game. Wurm Unlimited was my first real experience with the game (I played WO for one day, last year) and I have been having a blast!

Here is the first video of a few I have so far for those who might be interested!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVQUEri3P8c  <- Wurm Unlimited - "Journey to Mythmoor"

Edited by weem
  • Like 1

I have been following your series. I also liked your special video today on Wurm Unlimited - Should You Buy It?

** PS: I am a huge Kevin MacLeod fan (see my lovethread to MacLeod here)   though I wish more Wurm youtubers would consider using the official wurm soundtrack (21 tracks, play them here while you are ingame your next game session) . Many people do not even know this is the official Wurm music -- some of it may be the awkward way Wurm uses music ingame -- I turn off ingame music then play Wurm music through my media player (VLC/MPC etc) simnply because there is currently no way to play JUST the ambient music while ingame.  All of the songs are in the wurm sound packs / 010-Music-Incidental / folder if you want to unzip and try a game session using the official soundtracks. Maybe there is 24, I think a couple are minor variations of the same song.   Main reason I try to persuade people to use it, is I think people often form a very strong emotional bond to videogames via their music, but most wurm players are not even aware of wurms official soundtrack. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Awesome, thanks for watching I really appreciate it!

When it comes to music, there are a few reasons for not using it - 2 particularly in my case (and not just for Wurm, but other games as well)...

1) Copyright issues. Sometimes, even if the developer says "yea, you can make videos of our game AND monitize them" the copyright owners of the music do not (again, sometimes). When they don't, it means we can't monitize the video, or in some cases we can't use the video at all. It doesn't take many times of this happening before you start to prefer to just mute it, and add in 3rd party music in post, etc.

2) Sometimes the music is simply not done right. For example, some songs can come through at a much higher volume than others. I record my videos with my mic and game audio as separate lines, but while I can adjust them individually, it would just be another thing to have to look out for in editing.

3) There are also times when certain music does not evoke the feeling you are going for. I don't do this all the time, but sometimes I like to use a specific song or style of song for certain events. For example, if I am showing you the country-side and how amazing something looks, I might not want a driving, "battle"-like song playing at the same time.

All that said, I love the music from the game (granted I have not heard it in a while) so i will look into the soundtrack and see if it is something that can be downloaded (individual songs etc) AND is good to use from a copyright standpoint ;)

Thanks again for watching, and for the response here!

I did send a message the other day to the game's comminuty affairs guy, to get some sort of statement on whether these could be used on youtube without fear of takedown notices, here is the exchange we had:

Conversation

Could you find out whether WO/WU youtube series are allowed to use the official WO soundtrack (21 tracks total)  by Tom E Morrison, for wurm related videos without running into copyright issues?

I have wanted at times to suggest people use them as an alternate to the royalty free kevin macleod, since the wurm songs are more appropriate, but I was not sure if that opened them to "takedown" copyright claims.  I would like to see somethiing officially posted online by Rolf though I understand that might not be possible to get. 

I think at one time there was a "community website support" thread with links to art logos etc that people were free to use, if that still existed someplace then maybe the music could just be added to the allowed assests as long as the video and/or website is wurm related?

Hi brash,

I have actually spoken to Rolf in the past in regards to this, and can confirm the rights to the music used in Wurm Online have been purchased by Codeclub, meaning we own the licences and allow players to use them in their videos.

Hope that helps!

Retrograde

Community Relations Coordinator

Still, with youtube and copyrights I know things are never as clear as they should be, and MacKeon has a fantastic collection to meet every possible setting PLUS the copyright issues are very clear and concrete. I jist always have a sense of dejavu as I hear the songs in other settings too (Dwarf Fortress LNP uses quite a few of the same ones as well as other videos) 

If it were me, I would probably do the same as you since copyright and youtube are such a mess at times. Plus, I really do loveKevin MacLeod's ,music.

Anyway, please keep on making you tube videos!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I too am following your series and am thoroughly enjoying the experience. I am now a reasonably experienced player but find your way of explaining to newer players really interesting / absorbing. I also like the time that you make the videos for- any new player can learn facts / skills in a short time. Your commentary is crisp and to the point.

I have stayed on the Wurm Online servers up to now but I must admit that you have made WU an attractive alternative.

Congratulations on your work so far. I look forward to seeing more from the Weem stable-

Great first video. Awesome! Keep up the good work! If you are interested in joining the PVP server, let me know!

I've been watching your vids too and they are enjoyable to watch and great to see someone with some nice subscriber numbers sharing the wurmian love.

You definitely cover it all very well. After playing WU I'm more inclined to push WO more than WU, for many reasons that I ahve stated in my videos. But, I understand you reasoning and the need for a faster skill gain. To me, I just felt dirt with those skill gains and action timers. Before WU everyone was pretty much connected apart from epic. I like the feel of Wurm Online and its many connected server and we are all here skilling on a level playfield.

Exploration? If at some stage you get a chance, check out xanadu server. I have a video of me riding a pretty fast horse at timelapse x4 west to east across the server, basically it took in real time 1h 40 mins, that server is 4x the one you are on. Also, some WO server are quite old, you'd be surprised what you can find here, above and underground. Some of the history is pretty cool.

Once again, great vids, I hope you stick with wurm

Well @Brash_Endeavors, it happened...

gau500m.jpg

The problem as well as is that if you dispute it, it could mean getting a "strike" on your account if you (the youtuber) are proven wrong. Get a few of those and your channel is terminated, etc - hence the draw to music we know for sure that we can use. Fortunately this video is not yet live, and I can re-render it with non-wurm music and re-upload it if need be, but I will be putting in a dispute because it sounds like the Youtube system is relying on old information.

Not a problem at all, just thought I would highlight our struggle, hehe

Just wanted to say that Weemdale on Mythmoor is great. All the villagers are helpful and since joining I've really felt like we are a community working towards something but with still no pressure or turning it into a job. It's great fun.

come check us out.

and love the YouTube series Weem.

On 1/6/2016 at 6:17 AM, HarrisonSolo said:

Just wanted to say that Weemdale on Mythmoor is great. All the villagers are helpful and since joining I've really felt like we are a community working towards something but with still no pressure or turning it into a job. It's great fun.

:D

It's been an absolute blast ;)