Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Bring Back In-Game Mic Integration

Back in the olden days of Wurm, there was in-game voice chat.  It worked probably exactly how it sounds; you plug in your headset or mic, and you talk.  The only people that could hear you were people in your local area.  Honestly, it was a pretty awesome feature and I've never forgotten how sad it made me when they took our shiny voice comms away. :(

I understand the devs had good reason to remove the mic integration back then, but today is a new day and a new year.  We've made wonderful advances in Wurm Online over the years, and I think it's about time we get our in-game voice chat back.  I hope you're reading this Rolf.

In-Game Voice Communications - 2016

Edited by Slickshot
Removed the poll.

I agree, but the problem comes is the moderation of it. Would be very easy for people to abuse it.

Edit: Id still love to see it added, maybe for alliance/village use.

Edited by Nicrolis
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nicrolis said:

I agree, but the problem comes is the moderation of it. Would be very easy for people to abuse it.

Edit: Id still love to see it added, maybe for alliance/village use.

Yeah the only real issue is people abusing it in a PvP environment.  There are ways they could probably hard code it to prevent such issues, but it would certainly take some work.  Still a wonderful idea.

• Like 1

Most use TeamSpeak anyways :P would just make it easier for those who dont have it.

+1

1 minute ago, Nicrolis said:

Most use TeamSpeak anyways :P would just make it easier for those who dont have it.

+1

Oh for sure, but there is something cool about hearing people in local (if they use a mic) as opposed to having everyone in a room on a chat program.  Perfect example - video from DayZ:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tg2XIDNnjQ

Perhaps the only way to circumvent PvP troubles would be having the in-game comms hard-code disabled for PvP servers.

• Like 1

o.o I remember doing stuff like that all the time in Day Z. Usually played the jaws theme before i sniped em. DMR ftw

Wait are you serious?  I started Wurm like 6 years ago and I don't even remember this.

Honestly this needs to be brought back.  How could it be "abused" anyway?  If someone is being annoying, click "mute" on them.  If you don't want to hear people talk, turn off voice.

+1

1 hour ago, Proximo said:

Wait are you serious?  I started Wurm like 6 years ago and I don't even remember this.

Honestly this needs to be brought back.  How could it be "abused" anyway?  If someone is being annoying, click "mute" on them.  If you don't want to hear people talk, turn off voice.

+1

The abuse would come from someone in PvP local listening in on any communications, and relaying that secret information through teamspeak or ventrilo or whatever back to the enemy side.  It's more espionage and strategy than anything, but people complain about stuff like that and so it gets removed because PvP is quite favored.

Definitely needs to come back though, for sure, as it was a totally awesome community feature!

no one on a pvp server would use it for legit reasons anyways, at least none of the kingdoms, so i dont think thats an issue, just disable it for pvp and let people turn it off if they want and i say +1

all I remember about this was that it had like a 10 tiles radius, and the only use I remember a few of us using it for was faking domestic violence scenes while we were in a pmk and people would come to our doors acting like police and stuff with sound effects and so on

also it's was really quiet we turned the game up to about 50 or so where as I usually had wurm down to 4 or 5

just use teamspeak -1

• Like 1

+1
i tried with the wurm online teamspeak before but barely anyone was that interested, third party app, mostly used for specific alliances.  i suspect.
we already have snipe, it could be used effectively in voicechat as a moderator. with adjustments made to prevent gang mentality.

Edited by Steveleeb

All-around it seems like there is no real downside to bringing back this feature.  Any annoyances can be muted through volume controls, and it can be disabled for pvp if need be.  Glad to see the opinions and support of others for this suggestion!

1 hour ago, Zivirt said:

no one on a pvp server would use it for legit reasons anyways, at least none of the kingdoms, so i dont think thats an issue, just disable it for pvp and let people turn it off if they want and i say +1

ebonaura might!

the abuse i refer to is, people breaking the chat rules. This did happen on occasion when it was in. There was no way to mute them, and in order to shut them up you had to change the setting and relog so that voice chat was turned off completely. Voice chat range was local distance.

This is why most people didnt use it, also because it was on unstable which most didnt use anyways.

Edited by Nicrolis

Was highly annoying in Rust... I would have to say no to adding it back to Wurm...

20 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

Was highly annoying in Rust...

Wat...

I thought it was removed at the time due to problems with it taking up a lot of system resources, instead of issues with abuse?
Or am I recalling this incorrectly?

Let's make it a poll shall we, now that we have some negative opinions as well as positive?

6 hours ago, Stik said:

I thought it was removed at the time due to problems with it taking up a lot of system resources, instead of issues with abuse?
Or am I recalling this incorrectly?

When i used it, it didnt seem to.

Voted yes.

Edited by Nicrolis
added vote
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nicrolis said:

When i used it, it didnt seem to.

Voted yes.

I remember when I returned to Wurm after a break and found that they had added voice comms.  I was extremely excited, as it was pretty much the best feature they had added in a while.  Then after my next break I returned to ruin.

12 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

Was highly annoying in Rust... I would have to say no to adding it back to Wurm...

Did you mean to insult the entire playerbase of Wurm?

I've played Rust a good bit (unfortunately).  We are NOTHING like those people.  Our community just doesn't behave or talk like that.

• Like 1

Ehh, this would add nothing to my gameplay since I live on top of a mountain and have human contact once every 3-4 months :P

Sure re-add it if it is easy to do, but please don't make it a priority, there are so many better things that could be added.

Interestingly enough, those who have looked at Wurm Unlimited decompiled source may notice that EIGC is still in the code. If I recall, the reason it was ultimately disabled was due to how horrible EIGC is, so any future voice comms would need a new library to use and integrate. That would take some time to do properly.

I think it's going to come down to priority if anything. The fact is most have moved to using their own services for voice chat - services that are known to be more stable and work better with a game where you can have many alts across many servers. I don't know about many of you, but when I'm not on Chaos, I rarely see people in local. Shiny on Exodus does see a few, but they're usually just people passing by and rarely does anyone even pay attention.