Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Flaming Cauldrons of Tar

For attackers and defenders I would like to see flaming cauldrons of tar as ammo for catapults.

Maybe have a ground effect and damage like pillar of fire, but a smaller area, also does damage on wood structures, floors/walls/roof and affecting multiple tiles at same time.

Possible materials to make, cauldron, tar and a torch to ignite rather than a flint.

• Like 2

Generally in favor, but it should be jars and/or amphoras of tar. More economical to make and more logical to launch (since it shatters on impact).

Cauldrons of boiling/flaming tar (or oil) could be a construction available to build on the border of a building (longouse walls and gates in mind). When used it'd pour the liquid pain over the attackers below.

Edited by Roken
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Klaa said:

Or throwing boiling water...

Nah, boiling water loses most of its effect during the trajectory.  Burning tar sticks and keeps burning for a bit, can't just douse it with cold water =D

Pouring boiling oil however..... 

Heated tar or water would make more sense historically.

Boiled oil seems like a myth considering oil of any kind, especially olive oil, was expensive and limited supply.

Much like how producing and pressing olives is like in Wurm. End up using tar far more for fueling lamps.

Edited by Klaa

3 hours ago, Roken said:

Generally in favor, but it should be jars and/or amphoras of tar. More economical to make and more logical to launch (since it shatters on impact).

Cauldrons of boiling/flaming tar (or oil) could be a construction available to build on the border of a building (longouse walls and gates in mind). When used it'd pour the liquid pain over the attackers below.

I like the idea of tipping hot tar onto raiders storming the gates, could be added like a parapet above doors. Useful on PvP servers and eye candy for PvE servers, all thought be cool to dump a load of tar on that troll camping your entrance. 

So for the ammo then, a pottery bomb shell could be used then have the finished product made by adding the tar.

I think the both features should require a war machines skill to make as well and still require a torch to ignite, perhaps the QL of the ammo affects the amount of damage same as QL of ammo does for catapults.

Had an idea for the type of effect I would like to see, when a hell horse dies it sometimes leaves flames all over the ground, the tar could do the same thing, affecting wooden structure it lands on and players as well as players who walk into the flames.

On 23.12.2015 at 11:51 PM, JakeRivers said:

Had an idea for the type of effect I would like to see, when a hell horse dies it sometimes leaves flames all over the ground, the tar could do the same thing, affecting wooden structure it lands on and players as well as players who walk into the flames.

i am still of the opinion that Hell horses should burst in a flaming explosion when they die.

I am thinking more along the lines of dropping a cauldron on the ground, filling it with tar and lighting it for the illuminating effect. It could then be used as a movable light source with a brighter lighting effect than say a campfire. Plus when you pick it up it would snuff out until dropped on the ground and lit once again. Nice for working in mines too and would burn longer depending upon the amount of tar it was filled with.

=Ayes=