Sign in to follow this  
19KILO

Mud brick houses + dugout canoes :D

Ive always wondered why we never had mud brick houses, it would give use to a LOT of spare dirt people have laying about. This game has a medieval setting, and lets be real, a lot of peasants back in those days lived in wattle & daub houses, AKA mud brick shacks :P

Mud brick structures should be longer lasting than wood, yet weaker than stone - and available to players with 15 carpentry, or masonry...cant really decide on which one would play a bigger factor...this would give newbies an option to build something other than wood shacks, something to draw them more into the game as they start hitting those level 20 caps.

Also i had an idea for felled trees. A good option for newbies would be to make a dugout canoe to explore the waterways of Wurm. This would bring into the game tools such as adzes and drawknifes, used to hollow out the tree trunk and shape its outside. Dugout canoes should only hold two people, and VERY minimal gear, less than half of a rowboat. These would be used simply as exploratory/recreational vehicles.

Probably will never see these in game, BUT a man can dream, can he not? :)

• Like 5

+1

How would someone make the mud bricks though? Maybe by adding water to dirt in a container then shaping it like you would clay? Then heat up the bricks to finalize them I'd guess.

Good idea overall, the canoes too.

4 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Those are A Thing, actually

Indeed they are. While I was a student at Oregon's Institute of Technology (Go Owls! :P), I would go to similar competitions.

Different department than my own dual majors in Computer and Software Engineering; however, some of my study group partners were involved.

Was always good for ###### and giggles. EDIT: Especially as a nerd :P

EDIT: On a side note, the nursing programs' building was right next door to my own CSET building. ^_^

Edited by Klaa

On 17/12/2015 at 2:14 AM, 19KILO said:

Mud brick structures should be longer lasting than wood, yet weaker than stone - and available to players with 15 carpentry, or masonry...cant really decide on which one would play a bigger factor...this would give newbies an option to build something other than wood shacks, something to draw them more into the game as they start hitting those level 20 caps.

I would say make it 15 digging rather than carpentry.

+1 anyway!

Would make a nice skill for 15 masonary since carpentry already gives you larger building sizes as a bonus

On 12/22/2015 at 0:24 AM, ChingaChunga said:

+1

How would someone make the mud bricks though? Maybe by adding water to dirt in a container then shaping it like you would clay? Then heat up the bricks to finalize them I'd guess.

Good idea overall, the canoes too.

i think maybe a little rig to shape the bricks would suffice, 4 planks and a small nail should do it i think.

i like the firing idea too, itd make it similar to stone housing, where you first have to mine the rocks, then chisel them into bricks - that way you wouldnt see just a ton of them sprouting up, with newbies digging huge pits to fuel their building :P imagine how the spawn area would look lol...

Edited by 19KILO
typo

sounds nice and would give the option to build real shanty towns

+1
i got my ship building to 12 building my first rowboat at stonebrook. was the first torturous thing i ever did in the game.
puts hairs on your chest.
my compassions tells me the simpler canoe is a great idea, as long as they fast-rot compared to rowing boats.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

I would like to throw my support behind mud brick houses, especially since we recently got new walls and such. +1 I would love to see Adobe houses.

Edited by Lianya

Uhm i don't think there should be any actual bricks involved, those houses werent built by laying bricks afaik. You would need to build frame, weave walls from sprouts(maybe thatching can be used for it although is a far strech) and then aply mud(dirt+water) to walls like plaster. As for the canue i would rather seen one build from wooden frame and leather that is light enough so you can take it to invetory(40kg maybe?) but having the one carved out of tree as a boat easy to make for new players is fine with me too. While we are at that, never understood as a noob why i couldnt sail on raft :D

Mud bricks, not pottery? :huh:

Carpentry seems good for the planning, digging is going to be leveled up as you keep digging around for the main resource.