Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Weather and Wind

There is a bug with wind it says in the mouse over tooltip in the sound settings that wind is part of the weather sounds as shown in the screenshot below but if you turn it off the wind still makes noise.  I don't mind the wind if there was a way to adjust its volume but there is no way to do that and with this bug it does not stop the wind when you turn the weather sounds off.

uIqgKKI.jpg 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

I was just messing around with this myself.

The wind does seem to stop when I turn on Ambient Sounds.

What I'd like to turn off the sound of a lawnmower in the distance.  It is off when I turn ambient sounds off, but I like the birds chirping etc.

It's almost as if turning on Ambient Sounds automatically enables the background buzz even though I have that explicitly turned off.

Would really love to get rid of that background buzz entirely, but keep the immersion sounds.

ps.  this is on WU for me but pretty sure I encountered the same in WO.

Edited by Reylaark
client clarification

I think that the ambient sounds control the weather sounds as well so if you have the  ambient sounds off it automatically shuts down the weather sounds too and that is why it works that way.  I could be wrong but i think that the weather shut off was added in later to give more control but the wind sounds have been bugged/missing since it was put in. 

Edited by Kegan

ah ok,  I was just coming back to ask if maybe it mattered what was triggering the sound.

ie.  If it's a gale, it's covered by the Weather checkmark.

If it's a mountain pass, it's considered part of Ambient Sound checkmark.

Do you have that lawnmower in the distance sound by any chance?  Part of Ambient Sounds.

No i am not sure what that might be. Do you have any turrets around maybe that is the sound?

Edited by Kegan

I have finally caught a storm in the game and did some testing and found that the thunder/lightning sounds do not work either when you have ambient sounds off but the weather on so what i had posted above about ambient sounds turning off weather too is 100% true.  (i also did not notice any rain sounds at all unless it is very light) 

This leads me to believe that when they added in the weather control option they either did not put wind in like the tooltip says or if they did put it in then it is not controlling the wind sound like it should. (either way it needs fixed)   

Edited by Kegan

It is still bugged. Im not even sure if it is really the wind sound because the sound originates from a tile that you can walk around to hear it in left or right ear depending on where you are standing. Its pretty loud and obnoxious. It dissapeared when I disabled ambient sound. I still have weather sound box checked but I can´t hear any wind or weather.

Edited by Tsetse

I had to just shut my sounds off again because the ambient sounds are the ones i want but with the wind being in there too there is no point even having any sounds turned on at all. 

Edited by Kegan

Quick suggestion.  I have the option to switch my sound engine between Hardware (OpenAL) and Software.  I normally play with it on Hardware, but I've noticed that on one of my machines if I have it on Software I don't hear weather at all, but I can hear everything else.  

*edit* When I have a chance I'll log that machine in and run to the steppe and see if I don't hear that as well.  :)

Edited by Dorian
steppe is always loud heheh

The wind was loud when I added it in years ago, I had plans on making it very low where you could hear it but like a light breeze. I didn't get a chance to do that but I've begun doing work on my own pack for WU to add sounds for seals instead of the hissing sound for the snake etc etc. If it's something people want done I may take some free time to update my personal pack and then send it to Rolf with all the proper mappings so that he only has to drag and drop. I don't plan on replacing any creature sounds or anything really but I really want to just re-work ambient sounds that need volume adjusting or complete replacements to something less irritating, basically I want to do something where I'm less rushed and can take my time with it.

The way you have to add sounds to the game is very time consuming on what Rolf is using to play them, I think most ambient sounds took 6 total sound clips just for one ambient sound to work properly to where you were not hearing a howl or hoot every few seconds, so I had to add a bunch of dead space between these to space them out so they played occasionally than how gurubear had them playing every few seconds.

Wind is part of ambient sounds as it was added to rock, sand, etc etc by me to the actual ambient sounds not separate as it wasn't functioning properly when I was doing sound development work. So in order to add ambiance to the sounds I added wind and as I've already said it was probably a little high on volume and it was something I wanted to reduce in volume to a very light level than the ear shattering rock wind or steppe.

Well i had thought that it could be controlled by the weather sounds but i am all for anything that can get it done.