Sign in to follow this  
ago

[RELEASED] Live Map

bdew has the delightful hax already so kinda a moot point, but most of our players (myself included) are running 1.6-beta1 just fine with the live release.

On 10-10-2017 at 10:00 AM, bdew said:

@Morgoland @Batta - update your client mod loader to the latest version and re-run the patcher

In other news - extra hax edition for 1.6 - https://github.com/bdew-wurm/LiveHudMap/releases/download/v1.6-hax/livemap-1.6-hax.zip

I'm not sure if it was your hax last time or someone elses here, but I was able to zoom out a few steps more with the previous Livemap, is it possible to add this? (many thanks in advance :))

there's the hiResMap option.

best add

hiResMap=true

to a file mods\livemap.config. This will add the 256x256 zoom level.

Adding the options to .config will preserve them even when updating the mod which may override the .properties file

Edited by ago

Greetings @Ago (and @bdew) - just wanted to say thanks for a great program / option.  I spend most of my time over in the Steam forums, but came to "Official" site to look for ideas.  I teach at a small private University and have created a new class, tracing the "Survival / Crafting" genre, from literature and film, to contemporary computer games.  Wurm, Unlimited is one of the games I will be showcasing - the basic premise is to explore how contemporary computer games can be used in an educational environment (think Uncle Billy's recent purchase of Minecraft, for $2.5 billion, so Microsoft can offer it for $5 a seat to schools, etc.  I just like Wurm better : )

I created a couple small maps for the class, using Budda's map generator.  Your program was of great help while I was testing those maps and adding specific content (like the fact that I could not get rock to generate and had to hand place it, around ore veins, to facilitate mining.)  Having an in game map I could compare the images from the map generator and get at least close enough to place some rock and then use prospect to hone in and make certain I had enough rock to allow for mining - for some reason the GM wand command "paint terrain" did not seem to work with auxdata=4.  Possibly there is another code for rock, but I could not find it.

So two items.  First thanks (to both of you) for the original and modified in game map system.  Second, I am thinking about adding the map generation and modification, to create a specific scenario, as part of the class (vs. just explaining what I did to set up their "game world" example.)  Do I have your permission to include your program as part of this class?  (Education / fair use is all well and good, but I tend to ask people before I use their creations, when I can.)

Thanks.

P.S. - One thing I noted is that I could not get ores to show up on the live map (even after I made the requisite changes in the files or used @bdew's "hax").  My best guess is that something does not work the same when you use the SP stand alone server vs. running the dedicated server.  Don't know why this might be, but thought I would mention it.  It does not really matter for my class, since the focus is on exploring the possibilities of using Wurm in an educational environment and I want these Education and Communication majors to be able to learn enough about the Wurm system, quickly, to be able to do that.

20 hours ago, lokitheweaver said:

Do I have your permission to include your program as part of this class? 

I don't see a license anywhere for the mod itself so you'll have to wait for ago to clarify that but you can consider my modifications to be public domain.

20 hours ago, lokitheweaver said:

P.S. - One thing I noted is that I could not get ores to show up on the live map (even after I made the requisite changes in the files or used @bdew's "hax").  My best guess is that something does not work the same when you use the SP stand alone server vs. running the dedicated server.  Don't know why this might be, but thought I would mention it.  It does not really matter for my class, since the focus is on exploring the possibilities of using Wurm in an educational environment and I want these Education and Communication majors to be able to learn enough about the Wurm system, quickly, to be able to do that.

There's an option in the config file to show hidden ores which you need to enable. Or you don't see any ores at all including exposed veins?

4 hours ago, bdew said:

I don't see a license anywhere for the mod itself so you'll have to wait for ago to clarify that but you can consider my modifications to be public domain.

There's an option in the config file to show hidden ores which you need to enable. Or you don't see any ores at all including exposed veins?

Thanks.  "Public Domain" is the standard, but I still like to double check (if nothing else, it lets a modder know I thought enough of their work to showcase / use it : )

I did enable the options (false set to true) in Ago's mod, originally.  It appeared your 'hax' had already enabled the option.

To clarify, I don't actually know if I would see ores on cave walls.  I have spent most of my time creating the world and only starting play testing it, yesterday.  For some reason I thought the ores would show up, even if I was on the surface (which is what I needed, since Budda's program does not add "rock" and I was having to locate ore deposits and alter the terrain around the area, by hand.)  I was able to get a general idea based on the land form shapes I could see in the "live map" and compare them with the original maps generated.  But it was a fairly tedious hit or miss.

Guess I need to jump start my testing and get to one of the larger mountain areas and dig.

As with the loader feel free to use my work in class.

The ore will only show up when in mines but not on the surface map.

51 minutes ago, ago said:

As with the loader feel free to use my work in class.

The ore will only show up when in mines but not on the surface map.

That was what I suspected.  And only in the small area.  However, I think I could still work with this: use GM tool to place rock in general area, open mine entrance to put me at that mine level.  I would then be able to see how far / what direction to go.  Go topside and add more rock.  Fill in mine entrance.  (I can't seem to find a way to make mines / caves solid again.  Thought there was a "collapse" or similar command, but if the surface is only rock, players would still have to prospect at surface.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, lokitheweaver said:

That was what I suspected.  And only in the small area.  However, I think I could still work with this: use GM tool to place rock in general area, open mine entrance to put me at that mine level.  I would then be able to see how far / what direction to go.  Go topside and add more rock.  Fill in mine entrance.  (I can't seem to find a way to make mines / caves solid again.  Thought there was a "collapse" or similar command, but if the surface is only rock, players would still have to prospect at surface.

Thanks.

It's even possible to mine in, use your GM wand to change a few cave walls to ores of your choice, then back your way out of the mine, choosing "Repair" on each cave floor to turn it back to a wall.  Then when your students mine in, they will uncover the ores you placed.  We did this on Green Dragon to ensure that each spawn town public mine had at least iron and silver within the first few tiles.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:28 PM, Batta said:

It's even possible to mine in, use your GM wand to change a few cave walls to ores of your choice, then back your way out of the mine, choosing "Repair" on each cave floor to turn it back to a wall.  Then when your students mine in, they will uncover the ores you placed.  We did this on Green Dragon to ensure that each spawn town public mine had at least iron and silver within the first few tiles.

Repair?  Of course.  I thought there was a way, but sometimes the correct command just never comes out of stealth mode.

The map has tons of resources.  But part of the "challenge" is that you need to explore the area (larger island vs. small atoll where they spawn and where I left them their "shipwreck").  But before you can do much exploring, you need to address basic issues of shelter, food and transport.  You could swim.  But for some odd reason there are quite a few sharks in the water, which might indicate a smart person would want a boat before they head to the big island.  There are enough basics (set of tools, couple extra knives, a larger axe, couple compasses (or is it compii : ), a completely useless steel crowbar, a sea chest with odd pieces of normal clothing, a barrel of rice, a barrel with olive oil, a brass lantern and a small number of nails and planks from the ship.)  A few large trees (enough to build a small boat, with quite a bit left over); clay and rock on both atolls; one tile of tar (needed for boats).  I had not anticipated them needing a "real" iron mine, right away, but I am still testing that.  Precious metals will not be very useful (they are castaways not artisans / merchants), especially since they will have only a limited number of hours in the lab - where the goal is pretty much the shelter, food and transport.

I only went to the trouble of adding options for mining as I want them to know the game includes it, how it is done, etc.  Then they know they could include that in their projects (which might be a scenario where merchants and artisans are the focus.)  And the fact that "caves" were pretty important as secure shelters in Robinson Crusoe, Swiss Family Robinson, and Castaway.  What with the recent additions of building options in caves, it seemed worth the time to add a bit of rock.

Is it possible to make live map display the whole world? Even if it’s a vague basic shape of each landmass at that point. 

12 hours ago, Droc said:

Is it possible to make live map display the whole world? Even if it’s a vague basic shape of each landmass at that point. 

Actually you might want to check out Ago's server mod loader, which includes a mod to show the actual map (vs. Ocrea) when you use the in-game map function.  That would give you a much better detail view.  Just compare the full map and the live map for landmarks.  I am using that set up for my play testing of my map scenario.  It works great.  (Note the comments that you do need to change the map name in the database - it is the only step not handled automatically by the mod.

Ty for the info. Much appreciated. I do still ask the original question though. 

The servers sends low res map data for the whole server but this data is to inaccurate to generate a useful map.

loving this mod, no more getting lost in a mine for me! I do wish there was someway to zoom the map out for navigational purposes though. Other than that it does the job nicely

The global surface data is very low res and is not suitable to render a map that resembles coastlines or terrain. A map using this data is very inaccurate and looks like crap.

It works with WU 1.6. The server type is not important since this is a client mod.

If it does not work for you please provide client.log from the client folder.

Instead of over-writing again, I emptied the client folder and installed the client and live map mods again. The live map works for me now, so I must have made an error while over-writing yesterday. Thank you for updating for the 1.6 update. Now, if someone would just update the move and skill mods, I would be back to where I was before updating.

@bdew  One of my players just asked me to request that maybe the Live Map hax could also show settlement tokens at least, and fences and buildings too, ideally. Any chance of this?