Sign in to follow this  
ago

[RELEASED] Live Map

1 hour ago, Nappy said:

I think it's pretty cool that you sponsored Ago working on this and then shared the end result with the WU community. 

Thanks for doing this guys!

~Nappy

I agree...great job !

• Like 1

Good job (once again), Ago.

This makes me wish we had something like that in WO....   ;)

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 1

This is very cool.

Just wondering though, Why not the buttons along the top or the bottom to get rid of that dead space under the buttons?

and this is super generous of you razoreqx and good work ago.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nappy said:

I think it's pretty cool that you sponsored Ago working on this and then shared the end result with the WU community. 

Thanks for doing this guys!

~Nappy

Thanks Nappy, Romen, Crustyfoot (others as well) for the comments.

Im hoping more are encouraged to share with  the community.   WU provides a great platform for us to create worlds to meet various play styles for every player.  

Ago is a great coder, who has a very good understanding of various systems and components of the engine and how servers communicate  with the client.  

I liked the idea of a radar in game for projects i'm working on and thought I would reach out to him, though my first instinct was id take a crack at it .....but knew id spend way longer than I wanted.. and it would peel me from 3d models work...and in the end it would have issues Id have to deal with *sigh*    

So i emailed Ago... We (lol he mostly..i just did a lot of begging and opened the checkbook) had worked on some things in the past on some other mods to retro fit into his modloader..

We talked about it, I told him what I was thinking.... he tossed out his ideas..   bounced back and forth.   I threw out some "Hey quote me a price"...    We ended the conversation with a "I'll think about it".     NOTE: This is the usual response from ago...   (love the guy) 

I think literally two or three days later I get an email with screenshots and a link of the exact project we'd talked about... and i'll be dammed it was DONE!!     Downloaded installed.    Working..   (emailed ago.. How much... stall.. how about xxx?   done...  hahah..    

Sent it out to a few of my players.   Everything ok so far.    The sky hasn't fallen.     Sent it to a few more.    (all the time updating ago)  by the end of the weekend the whole player base had it installed and no issues. 

At that point I emailed ago and said why don't we release this to the community.   I knew he would want to, and would get a lot of cudo's for it.   I said just put me as the sponsor and who knows, someone might come up with some other projects you might be excited to work on.  

Conclusion: 

So just to end the post I hope you all don't expect you can run to ago and offer up an idea and get an instant "YES" i'll work on that...    I honestly don't think ago is driven by money.   (he must have a hidden vault of cash somewhere in the alps) 

But he is motivated by systems that make the user experience, server to client, or gameplay more functional.   

Edited by razoreqx
  • Like 1

This is great.. so easy to use... thank you soo much!!

Any plans for a round version? or re-sizable version?

3 hours ago, Overlord said:

Any plans for a round version? or re-sizable version?

No.

Why does EVERYTHING have to go into that .jar file? It's bloody enormous and takes forever to inject stuff into it. Or is there another means to inject than using Winrar?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

You need to

* extract modlauncher.zip into the client folder,

* extract livemap.zip into the client folder.

* run patcher.bat

* start the client

Look for it in the menu that appears when you click on the stop or main menu button - usually at the bottom.

• Like 2

This is from the source code:

TILE_CAVE_WALL, Color.DARK_GRAY
TILE_CAVE_WALL_REINFORCED, Color.DARK_GRAY
TILE_CAVE, Color.PINK
TILE_CAVE_FLOOR_REINFORCED, Color.PINK
TILE_CAVE_EXIT, Color.PINK
TILE_CAVE_WALL_ORE_IRON, Color.RED.darker()
TILE_CAVE_WALL_LAVA, Color.RED
TILE_CAVE_WALL_ORE_COPPER, Color.GREEN
TILE_CAVE_WALL_ORE_TIN, Color.GRAY
TILE_CAVE_WALL_ORE_GOLD, Color.YELLOW.darker()
TILE_CAVE_WALL_ORE_ADAMANTINE, Color.CYAN
TILE_CAVE_WALL_ORE_GLIMMERSTEEL, Color.YELLOW.brighter()
TILE_CAVE_WALL_ORE_SILVER, Color.LIGHT_GRAY
TILE_CAVE_WALL_ORE_LEAD, Color.PINK.darker().darker()
TILE_CAVE_WALL_ORE_ZINC, new Color(235, 235, 235)
TILE_CAVE_WALL_SLATE, Color.BLACK
TILE_CAVE_WALL_MARBLE, Color.WHITE

It's not a key, but it should get you close. :) 

This is a good area of the mod for someone to extend with further modding: moving these color definitions into the .properties file.

I've also thought about changing the logic in MapRendererCave.java so that the player position is a different shape and color.  Maybe a circle or diamond instead of just another red square.  But my free time is very very limited right now.

10 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Is there a way to get the livemap back after closing it?

From the menu as mentioned by Nappy or with the console command "toggle livemap"

ago you made one with a higher view, would you be so kind to release it too? you said you just need to change 2 numbers but i cant do it ?

when i click away the map, how can i get it back ? do i have to restart the client ?

On 12/20/2015 at 5:16 AM, Nappy said:

Look for it in the menu that appears when you click on the stop or main menu button - usually at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Sizan said:

when i click away the map, how can i get it back ? do i have to restart the client ?

On 18.12.2015 at 5:30 AM, Overlord said:

This is great.. so easy to use... thank you soo much!!

• Like 1

On 12/24/2015 at 6:20 PM, Sizan said:

press escape, the bottom button says "live map", press it to get map back.

On 21.12.2015 at 0:06 PM, Biervampyr said:

ago you made one with a higher view, would you be so kind to release it too? you said you just need to change 2 numbers but i cant do it ?

I finally got the new version out:

https://github.com/ago1024/LiveHudMap/releases/tag/v1.2

• Added option to switch to a higher resolution mode

The high res mode does not render the 3d map correctly on the top and bottom edge therefore it's disabled by default. It can be enabled by setting the hiResMap property in livemap.properties to true.

• Like 3

I have to wonder, is it possible to show creature locations as well? (Including aggressive vs non-aggressive)

Would be amazing for hunting etc.

Would be even more amazing if you could have the radius work off tracking skill. But that may be asking too much. :D

41 minutes ago, Faetyl said:

I have to wonder, is it possible to show creature locations as well?

Not without a huge performance hit or some complex logic to track creature movement between tiles.

Also taking into considering the objections from some server owners about this mod in general I won't add such a feature.

• Like 1

Funny to see these again, good old map hacks. Surprised you've not added creatures , players or items to it, Fyi these have been in wurm Online on and off for years,

On 1/10/2016 at 11:06 AM, ago said:

Not without a huge performance hit or some complex logic to track creature movement between tiles.

Also taking into considering the objections from some server owners about this mod in general I won't add such a feature.

That makes me wonder if there is some way to have a server mod that can black list specific client mods. More of a server making a formal request to the connecting client what mods it does not want it to use for the session. Obviously not fool proof security. Just a way to help keep the honest, honest.

THis seems to be broken for me now, anyone else?

nvm, just had to update the client loader!

Edited by Jinxx