Sign in to follow this  
Graymane

Why I choose this game and like it

TLDR:  The community, developers, crafting, and difficulty level of this game make it worth the investment and worth playing.

I've been playing for a few weeks now.  I wanted to post a positive thread about what drew me to this game and why I play it.  Recently, I had a computer crash and it took too long to fix my laptop,  While waiting to buy a new one, I decided to stick my head above the water and look at what other games were out there.  You see, I have been playing Everquest since 1999 and mainly non-MMO kinds of games since then.  I wanted to search out the landscape and see what was going on.  I looked at a LOT of the games out there.  I settled on 2 games that I decided to try.  Eve Online and Wurm Online.  The 2 criteria I wanted to settle on was some type of PVP game and a game where crafting really matters but is also interesting.

• Cost - Wurm Online is cheap.  4 months, $32.  Everquest is $10 per month if you buy a year sub.  It is more like $15-$17 per month if you buy monthly.  Eve is roughly $13 per month.  Granted, all 3 of these games make it easy to make money in game that can pay for you subs out of game.

• Community - I started on Xanadu.  I joined a little community there and I also met someone from Chaos.  During that time I told my little community I'd like to go to chaos and try it out.  They helped me by building me a rowboat and I sailed from Xanadu to Chaos.  This was before the new changes to boat travel.  That was a heck of an experience.  It reminded me of my first days of playing Everquest and how difficult it was to travel anywhere without dying or getting lost.  People are so helpful in the game it is amazing.

• PVP - I like it even though I can't completely partake in it yet.  The deed I am on in Chaos gets attacked like every day or every other day.  I like trying to work on my skills while keeping an eye out over my shoulder.  Even though I can't really help with the fighting aspect of pvp, I still feel like I'm accomplishing something because whatever I do, I feel like it is contributing to the war effort.  Whether it is just skilling up or digging dirt or making bricks, it feels like a community.  Even the first time I died, it was more funny than anything else.  My kingdom just got done giving me a bunch of gear.  They told me to watch local and run to the safe cave if I saw anyone.  My newbie buffs had just run out.  I had just gotten my teamspeak voice chat configured and working and was chatting away to everyone while chopping trees to skill up my woodcutting.  Of course I wasn't paying attention to local until I saw that attack icon come up and 5 players in my local I didn't know!  I was dead in about 5 seconds.  I felt bad that I lost all that gear, but on the other hand, with the crafting system, I knew it was possible to start getting new gear and I would be ok in a few days.

• Crafting - What can I say but wow?  It is complex, involved, almost perfect to me.  Not since Star Wars Galaxies have I seen a crafting system in an MMO I liked as much.  You can make gear that seems to mean something through the whole game.  Skills are mainly intuitive.  Just do stuff and they go up.  It seems to me a lot of thought has went into how people play the game.  Everything from sleep bonus to how things like digging and prospecting seem to work for preventing macroing.  Quality levels and damage to items seems like such a good mechanic.
  •  
  • Difficulty - I might offend some people here, but I think the participation trophy generation has ruined MMORPGs.  Everything is moving toward "easy", freemium, soloable to the end game in 1 month, etc.  I LIKE hard games like Everquest when it first came out.  I don't want skilling to be faster, or travel to be easier.  I don't want icons on the map telling me where I am.  I like that when it is dark, I can't see anything.  If I'm in a cave and forgot my torch and a bear attacks me and I can't find my way out and I die, well stupid me!  You have to grind if you want to get to some level of skill quickly, but to me personally, I don't play a game to grind skills, I want to just play and let the skills come as I do stuff.  That is what WO gives me because for me, the journey is the fun part. 
  •  
  • Customer Support/Help System - All I can say is that I think Wurm's is great.  The wurmpedia is like the best help system I've ever seen.  It is logical and straight forward.  CS has been great.  I've opened maybe 3 tickets and all have been responded to within minutes.  To me, the tipping point is the patches and game notes and developer attitude to this game.  Listening to my kingdom talk about the last few patches I've heard so many positive comments about changes and mechanics.  You can really see the staff trying to make this game better.  I compare that to my Everquest experience where every patch is met with dread by everyone as about 90% of every patch is a nerf and, to me, the destruction of the game where they force players into the latest expansions and content to force us to buy the latest and greatest.  They will do things like nerf experience gain in old world areas and make item inflation so bad that you can only take down end game mobs with the latest gear drops.
  • Like 16

17 minutes ago, Graymane said:

TLDR:  The community, developers, crafting, and difficulty level of this game make it worth the investment and worth playing.

I've been playing for a few weeks now.  I wanted to post a positive thread about what drew me to this game and why I play it.  Recently, I had a computer crash and it took too long to fix my laptop,  While waiting to buy a new one, I decided to stick my head above the water and look at what other games were out there.  You see, I have been playing Everquest since 1999 and mainly non-MMO kinds of games since then.  I wanted to search out the landscape and see what was going on.  I looked at a LOT of the games out there.  I settled on 2 games that I decided to try.  Eve Online and Wurm Online.  The 2 criteria I wanted to settle on was some type of PVP game and a game where crafting really matters but is also interesting.

• Cost - Wurm Online is cheap.  4 months, $32.  Everquest is $10 per month if you buy a year sub.  It is more like $15-$17 per month if you buy monthly.  Eve is roughly $13 per month.  Granted, all 3 of these games make it easy to make money in game that can pay for you subs out of game.

• Community - I started on Xanadu.  I joined a little community there and I also met someone from Chaos.  During that time I told my little community I'd like to go to chaos and try it out.  They helped me by building me a rowboat and I sailed from Xanadu to Chaos.  This was before the new changes to boat travel.  That was a heck of an experience.  It reminded me of my first days of playing Everquest and how difficult it was to travel anywhere without dying or getting lost.  People are so helpful in the game it is amazing.

• PVP - I like it even though I can't completely partake in it yet.  The deed I am on in Chaos gets attacked like every day or every other day.  I like trying to work on my skills while keeping an eye out over my shoulder.  Even though I can't really help with the fighting aspect of pvp, I still feel like I'm accomplishing something because whatever I do, I feel like it is contributing to the war effort.  Whether it is just skilling up or digging dirt or making bricks, it feels like a community.  Even the first time I died, it was more funny than anything else.  My kingdom just got done giving me a bunch of gear.  They told me to watch local and run to the safe cave if I saw anyone.  My newbie buffs had just run out.  I had just gotten my teamspeak voice chat configured and working and was chatting away to everyone while chopping trees to skill up my woodcutting.  Of course I wasn't paying attention to local until I saw that attack icon come up and 5 players in my local I didn't know!  I was dead in about 5 seconds.  I felt bad that I lost all that gear, but on the other hand, with the crafting system, I knew it was possible to start getting new gear and I would be ok in a few days.

• Crafting - What can I say but wow?  It is complex, involved, almost perfect to me.  Not since Star Wars Galaxies have I seen a crafting system in an MMO I liked as much.  You can make gear that seems to mean something through the whole game.  Skills are mainly intuitive.  Just do stuff and they go up.  It seems to me a lot of thought has went into how people play the game.  Everything from sleep bonus to how things like digging and prospecting seem to work for preventing macroing.  Quality levels and damage to items seems like such a good mechanic.
  •  
  • Difficulty - I might offend some people here, but I think the participation trophy generation has ruined MMORPGs.  Everything is moving toward "easy", freemium, soloable to the end game in 1 month, etc.  I LIKE hard games like Everquest when it first came out.  I don't want skilling to be faster, or travel to be easier.  I don't want icons on the map telling me where I am.  I like that when it is dark, I can't see anything.  If I'm in a cave and forgot my torch and a bear attacks me and I can't find my way out and I die, well stupid me!  You have to grind if you want to get to some level of skill quickly, but to me personally, I don't play a game to grind skills, I want to just play and let the skills come as I do stuff.  That is what WO gives me because for me, the journey is the fun part. 
  •  
  • Customer Support/Help System - All I can say is that I think Wurm's is great.  The wurmpedia is like the best help system I've ever seen.  It is logical and straight forward.  CS has been great.  I've opened maybe 3 tickets and all have been responded to within minutes.  To me, the tipping point is the patches and game notes and developer attitude to this game.  Listening to my kingdom talk about the last few patches I've heard so many positive comments about changes and mechanics.  You can really see the staff trying to make this game better.  I compare that to my Everquest experience where every patch is met with dread by everyone as about 90% of every patch is a nerf and, to me, the destruction of the game where they force players into the latest expansions and content to force us to buy the latest and greatest.  They will do things like nerf experience gain in old world areas and make item inflation so bad that you can only take down end game mobs with the latest gear drops.

Great explanation of why you like Wurm! I agree wholeheartedly and couldn't have explained it any better myself. I feel just as you. I love the difficilty, travel, and just taking things as they go. Wurm is a wonderful game. Good luck to you :)

1 hour ago, Graymane said:

Difficulty - I might offend some people here, but I think the participation trophy generation has ruined MMORPGs.  Everything is moving toward "easy", freemium, soloable to the end game in 1 month, etc.  I LIKE hard games like Everquest when it first came out.  I don't want skilling to be faster, or travel to be easier.  I don't want icons on the map telling me where I am.  I like that when it is dark, I can't see anything.  If I'm in a cave and forgot my torch and a bear attacks me and I can't find my way out and I die, well stupid me!  You have to grind if you want to get to some level of skill quickly, but to me personally, I don't play a game to grind skills, I want to just play and let the skills come as I do stuff.  That is what WO gives me because for me, the journey is the fun part. 

I agree with you 100%, it seems like most younger players are not at all motivated by a sense of accomplishment.  Unfortunately easiness is the direction games are taking, even this one.  I wish you could have played this game in 2009, way more difficult then, you would have had a blast.  Welcome to wurm, hope you enjoy your time here and hope the game does not become even easier to try and compete with WU. 

• Like 2

The game has a hard progression just like old school everquest with the added feature of the sandbox.

Mostly what you see in games today is instant gratification to keep the kiddies with extremely short attention spans happy.

Welcome to Wurm, Graymane! May your stay be long and your hiatus few!