Sign in to follow this  
coffeene

Nothing ages

I'm not sure how exactly how to word this but I'll try. When I'm offline but the server is still running nothing ages, except the time. I have had a couple young bulls and a cow for almost 2 in-game months, and they are still young. I had a calf born finally, but only when I was online and the time did not tick down when I was offline, over night. I currently have another pregnant horse that got pregnant 3 real days ago and the server had been running this whole time. She started with 8 and currently at 3, and when I went to bed last night she was also at 3. I'm not sure if chunkloading is a think like minecraft but if it is then what is the point of having a server running when no one is online if nothing happens except time passes?

It seems to me that there was an issue with Adventure mode maps, where animals lept reverting back to Young, that I thought had been fixed. Are you getting all of the regular patches to the game? Do the threads here sound like your same issue?

I was pretty sure this had been patched however I am also using Ago's modloader (which includes a mod that speeds up somewhat animal aging) so I am not sure whether my experience is influenced by that mod.  I think animal pregnancies will still take many days to get through so the horse that started at 8 and now at 3 after 3-4 days, sounds normal. Let me poke around and see whether the "young animals in Adventure" was fixed in a patch.

EDIT: Sounds like the patch that fixed it was in November, are you running a regular official, patched version of the game?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I probably didn't explain correctly. The animals, and trees, are stuck at the same age. I have had old, and venerable animals since the beginning and none have aged or died from old age (i'm not caring for them). when an animal is born (Wildfea) she has stayed small and not gotten any bigger. The trees I planted are still young and not grown at all really, still small shrubs, and all the same height. I have restarted the server a few times and the same problem persists. This is on the default creative map and most settings are not changed. Nothing is going back a stage or I probably would have noticed that.

Edited by coffeene

Will your computer go into standby or supend when you are away? Going into standby essentially stops time for the wurm server and the creatures would not age as expected.

The aging happens after a month (28 ingame days) which equals 3.5 days of server uptime.  Each stage takes multiple ingame months to pass. There's 3 months for young, Another 5 for adolescent, 4 for mature, 18 for aged, 10 for old and everthing from the 40th month is venerable.

Here is how to check, and how to disable hibernation/suspend/standby

You can still have the monitor going onto suspend mode I think? But definitely not the hard drive. 

It can take a horse  almost a full year "realtime: to go from birth to old age. If you are playing singleplayer then Ago's modloader with the CreatureAgeMod is a real godsend.  It will still take a very long time for an animal to die of old age, but the early stages (foal, adolescent, etc) will go by much faster (in a few days instead of weeks/months)

• Like 1

it's actually not the animals I'm worried about, it's the trees. I started on an almost barren island (top left of default creative). I acquired a bunch of sprouts and planted them but only two have entered mature status (finally a few did grow). I'm just wondering on the growth timer on the trees as I can't find it.

Trees take a very ling time to age. This is from the original Wurm Online where nature preservation and conservancy is a real issue. Some trees, like Pine and Birch, seem to grow faster, so plant those if you want to benefit from faster growth timers. Oak and willow are slowest, I don't recall where Cedar falls in the scale. Its not one of the fastest.

There are a couple things you can do to speed up the process (disabling 'sleep mode/standby' for the computer will help too):

1) Once a week maybe, set your character to GM mode and you can use the ebony wand you get to cast "Nature>Grow" on indiviual trees to advance one age stage. Its very tempting to go overboard on GM powers so maybe limit it to "only on Sundays" to avoid being tempted to use it for shortcuts too often.

2) Become a Fo priest and one of the spells you get is called Wild Growth which speeds up growth in an expanded area. Fo is also a good religion if you are very much into horsebreeding and nature druid type stuff. Priests are very limited in what crafting/resource gathering they can do so read up on it first, but another popular mod in the modloader linked earlier is one that allows solo players to be a priest and also a crafter all-in-one-character. 

There isn't a mod to JUST make trees grow faster because of something-technical-I-never-understood, but Ago can explain it if you are really curious ^_^ Or I can find the thread where they discussed it. It's not as simple as it sounds for players to mod. 

There IS a setting on the server settings tab that increases the chances trees will spread to nearby tiles, this can help make sure there are trees spreading serverwide but it won;'t speed the "aging" process for trees.