Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

[Addressed] Cared For animals dieing

i have lost a couple cared for over the past few months... nothing that i cant replace but it's still disturbing.

lately though it seems pretty bad with animals randomly dying (cared for or not) with a ratio well above the 15.

Edited by DoctorAngus
  • Like 1

Please look into this.  I have some very beloved animals and would like them to stay alive.  Please fix this or let us know if it has been tweaked or tampered with.  Ta.

Logging started 2016-11-27 (CET)

[09:02:29] The venerable diseased Ebonydream rolls with the eyes, ejects his tongue and dies from disease.

[09:02:29] Venerable diseased Ebonydream stop dragging a "Knutsche".

Cared For Ebonydream, * April 2013,  † November 2016, died on-deed with good creature ratio figure, on a wagon. Leaving behind a widow, Sweethoney, * April 2013.

Also new bug report: I can't find the tongue anywhere.

Edited by Ulviirala

[18:51:28] You see the corpse of venerable wildsilver.

[18:51:43] You see the corpse of old potosio.

Two horses died this week.  Deed ratio 20.  About to butcher them, but I'm 99% sure they're both fat. 

Wildsilver was on a wagon on enchanted grass with 3 other fat healthy horses.  I thought maybe she could have been too close to a fence, but another horse was on the side closer to the fence than her and he's still fat as can be.  Disease is the only thing that makes sense, and none of her 3 wagon-mates is sick. 

Two fully geared, cared for horses hitched to my cart for the last three years died a few weeks ago. Deed ratio is fine and the tile underneath them was not packed.

Edited by Fescue

We have also had 3 cared for animals die for no apparent reason. Champ female deer, male crab, and a tortoise over the last month. We've had two venerable dogs (our originals) for 5 years now, so random death makes no sense... Please look into this, we care for these animals for a reason.

Alright, lost one of my champ dog after the restart... can something be done pretty please... he had food and everything >_>

(specially since champ dogs/deers cannot be obtained anymore)

Edited by Odynn

On a abandoned deed a cared for horse that was hitched to a cart forever croaked yesterday (no server restart), free gear 8)

Once animal crates come out it will not be such a serious matter about breeders dieing off.

My champ dog is branded and free range on exodus, want to see how long he will last out in the wilds.

Edited by JakeRivers

@Alectrys

Any updates on this ? Has it been added to the official bug list ?

Edited by Explora

According to Budda, aside from age (which the cared for prevents this type of death), the other possibilities of death are from wounds, disease, starvation, miscarriage or being inside rock in a cave.

The devs have check to be sure the cared for is checked before age on a server restart, so that would not cause an age death.

Unfortunately, we do not have a method of determining the cause of death of a creature.

This has been reported many times by many different people. I know cared for animals aren't supposed to die of old age, but there are definitely plenty of cases that have venerable cared for animals dying on deeds with good ratios, fat, food available, not diseased, not pregnant, not injured, not underground. So either cared for animals are dying of old age, or there is something else that's killing them that we haven't identified. Basically they are still dying. I have to keep a ridiculously huge deed because I need three of everything, enough to give me time to breed more if one randomly dies (originally I had two of everything, then my champ wild cat randomly died, and the other randomly died before I could breed another, so I had to upgrade to 3). I'd really like not to have to do this.

I have a theory, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before. Once I logged on after a server restart and happened to examine my favourite venerable tortoise. To my horror I saw that it was no longer cared for, though it definitely had been before the server restart. I managed to re care for it before it died, but I wonder if the issue isn't that server restarts sometimes randomly cause animals to go uncared for, and they die nearly at once if they're venerable?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Attenia said:

This has been reported many times by many different people. I know cared for animals aren't supposed to die of old age, but there are definitely plenty of cases that have venerable cared for animals dying on deeds with good ratios, fat, food available, not diseased, not pregnant, not injured, not underground. So either cared for animals are dying of old age, or there is something else that's killing them that we haven't identified. Basically they are still dying. I have to keep a ridiculously huge deed because I need three of everything, enough to give me time to breed more if one randomly dies (originally I had two of everything, then my champ wild cat randomly died, and the other randomly died before I could breed another, so I had to upgrade to 3). I'd really like not to have to do this.

I have a theory, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before. Once I logged on after a server restart and happened to examine my favourite venerable tortoise. To my horror I saw that it was no longer cared for, though it definitely had been before the server restart. I managed to re care for it before it died, but I wonder if the issue isn't that server restarts sometimes randomly cause animals to go uncared for, and they die nearly at once if they're venerable?

I can add that to the list of 'what about this' for possibilities.

Animals which are cared for will now display a cause of death on their corpse in order to help understand the reasons for their death.  This was added with this patch: https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/166451-patch-notes-22nov18/

If there is no cause of death on a corpse, that means the animal was not cared for.  I'm going to close this thread at this time.  Please open a new issue if something is not reporting correctly on death.